The concept of building a quantum computer with topological qubits had been knocking around Microsoft for nearly 15 years.
At the companys Redmond campus, later expanding into its Station Q centre at the University of California, researchers investigated this complex, yet beautiful mathematical theory as Microsofts quantum guru Michael Freedman once described it.
It remained just that a beautiful theory for years. Then something changed.
Suddenly in late 2016, Microsoft announced Station Q would expand to eight labs worldwide including one at the Quantum Nanoscience Laboratory at the University of Sydney. Four heavyweight academic hires were made. An ‘inflection point’ had been reached, a release stated.
Why are they now switching on? How much should I read into that? says Professor David Reilly, director of Station Qs new Sydney lab. I think you can read plenty into that.
Is Anyon out there?
The topological approach to forming qubits uses quasiparticles called non-abellian anyons.
We’ve realised that the only way to really scale is to build much better qubits. Qubits that are inherently, intrinsically immune to noise and immune to disturbances from the environment, says Reilly.
In most approaches to building quantum systems, information is encoded in the properties of particles. That makes the systems very fragile as any disturbances from the environment can destroy a particles quantum state.
According to Microsoft, topological qubits are better able to withstand heat and electrical noise, which allows them to remain in a stable quantum state for longer. By encoding the information not on the quasiparticle but in the order the positions of the anyons are swapped around (called braiding), topological qubits offer a more viable way to make a scalable, usable quantum computer.
The quasiparticles themselves remain something of a riddle. Non-abellian anyons cant be seen with any kind of microscope but they can be measured with high-precision devices. Probably. Certainly there is no consensus among physicists as to whether they are real or not.
As Microsofts Alex Bocharov confidently put it to Nature, the company is pretty sure that they exist.
We reached a point where the experiments were convincing enough that now we should actually try and construct technology from it. And that’s where we are today, Reilly adds.
Faith at scale
Backing topological qubits is as much about belief in the approach, Reilly says, as doubt in all the others.
It’s a double-edged sword. For me personally some of the decision to go in this direction is born out of a pessimistic view. It’s faith in this approach and the reality is it’s pessimism that the other existing approaches can really go the distance, he says.
Google and IBM back the superconducting loop approach to building qubits, while Intel and the Commonwealth Bank and Telstra backed Centre for Quantum Computation and Communication Technology at UNSW in Sydney, are pursuing a silicon-based method.
The difference between demonstrating the basic operation of one single device in a university lab and publishing a very nice paper, and what it’s going to take to bring that technology to scale I think these are vastly different activities, Reilly says. It becomes pretty depressing and I don’t see it.
The ability to scale is key to Microsofts quantum efforts. Its ambition goes way beyond the lab.
It’s all about having the fundamental building blocks that can take you to millions of qubits, Reilly says. It’s all about going the distance.
Error: Please check your email address.
Tags Sydneytopological qubitKinectquantumquantum computingTelstraHoloLensnanotechnologyStation QMicrosoftRedmondunswXboxCommonwealth Bank of Australia
More about Commonwealth BankGoogleIBMIntelMicrosoftQQuantumReillyTechnologyUniversity of SydneyUNSWXbox
- Quantum computing could change everything, and IBM is ... - May 15th, 2019
- Quantum Computing - Intel - April 29th, 2019
- IBM expands universities in its quantum computing research ... - April 25th, 2019
- Quantum computing is a marathon not a sprint | VentureBeat - April 22nd, 2019
- The CIO's Guide to Quantum Computing - Smarter With Gartner - April 19th, 2019
- This Startup Just Raised $21 Million To Bring Quantum ... - April 18th, 2019
- What is Quantum Computing ? Top 18 Quantum Computing ... - April 6th, 2019
- The promise of quantum computing - businessinsider.com - March 27th, 2019
- Quantum computing is coming: Heres why we need to get our ... - March 23rd, 2019
- Quantum computing will break your encryption in a few ... - March 21st, 2019
- Microsoft has formed a coalition to promote quantum computing ... - March 19th, 2019
- Quantum computing for everyone | Michael Nielsen - March 12th, 2019
- Ask a Techspert: What is quantum computing? - blog.google - March 6th, 2019
- IBM hits quantum computing milestone, may see 'Quantum ... - March 6th, 2019
- Its Time You Learned About Quantum Computing | WIRED - March 6th, 2019
- Microsofts quantum computing network takes a giant leap ... - March 2nd, 2019
- When Will Quantum Computing Have Real Commercial Value ... - February 25th, 2019
- The Case Against Quantum Computing - IEEE Spectrum - February 22nd, 2019
- How Does Quantum Computing Work? - ExtremeTech - January 31st, 2019
- Quantum technology - Wikipedia - January 23rd, 2019
- CES 2019: IBM's Q System One Is the Rock Star Quantum ... - January 13th, 2019
- Quantum Computing | The MIT Press - January 11th, 2019
- IBM thinks outside of the lab, puts quantum computer in a box - January 11th, 2019
- IBM unveils its first commercial quantum computer - January 9th, 2019
- A new type of quantum computer has smashed every record ... - December 21st, 2018
- China bet big on quantum computing. Now the US races to ... - October 26th, 2018
- US takes first step toward a quantum computing workforce ... - September 17th, 2018
- China bet big on quantum computing. Now the ... - money.cnn.com - September 17th, 2018
- The reality of quantum computing could be just three years ... - September 12th, 2018
- The quantum computing race the US cant afford to lose - September 3rd, 2018
- Quantum Computing | USRA - August 30th, 2018
- What Is Quantum Computing? The Complete WIRED Guide | WIRED - August 22nd, 2018
- Quantum Computing Market Research Report- Forecast 2022 | MRFR - August 1st, 2018
- Two Quantum Computing Bills Are Coming To Congress - July 5th, 2018
- Senate bills would make quantum computing a priority - June 10th, 2018
- What is quantum computing? - Definition from WhatIs.com - February 5th, 2018
- The Era of Quantum Computing Is Here. Outlook: Cloudy ... - January 26th, 2018
- IBM puts its quantum computer to work in relaxing, nerdy ASMR ... - January 8th, 2018
- Quantum computing is going to change the world. Here's what ... - January 8th, 2018
- Is Quantum Computing an Existential Threat to Blockchain ... - December 25th, 2017
- What is Quantum Computing? | SAP News Center - December 23rd, 2017
- Quantum Computing Explained | What is Quantum Computing? - December 21st, 2017
- New silicon structure opens the gate to quantum computers - December 14th, 2017
- Microsoft offers developers a preview of its quantum ... - December 12th, 2017
- Quantum Computing Is the Next Big Security Risk | WIRED - December 8th, 2017
- Yale Professors Race Google and IBM to the First Quantum ... - November 16th, 2017
- IBM's processor pushes quantum computing ... - engadget.com - November 16th, 2017
- Quantum computing - news.microsoft.com - November 1st, 2017
- Intel Takes First Steps To Universal Quantum Computing - October 13th, 2017
- Qudits: The Real Future of Quantum Computing? - IEEE Spectrum - October 13th, 2017
- quantum computing - engadget.com - October 13th, 2017
- Quantum Computing | Intel Newsroom - October 13th, 2017
- What will you actually use quantum computing for? | ZDNet - October 11th, 2017
- Here's what quantum computing is and why it matters - October 6th, 2017
- Microsoft just upped its multi-million bet on quantum computing - ZDNet - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft's Aussie quantum computing lab set to scale up next-gen ... - ARNnet - September 7th, 2017
- An Entirely New Type of Quantum Computing Has Just Been Invented - Futurism - September 7th, 2017
- Quantum computing event explores the implications for business - Cambridge Network - August 30th, 2017
- Quantum Computing Is Coming at Us Fast, So Here's Everything You Need to Know - ScienceAlert - August 27th, 2017
- How quantum mechanics can change computing - San Francisco ... - San Francisco Chronicle - August 25th, 2017
- Commonwealth Bank investing in Australia's first quantum computer company - Which-50 (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- How quantum mechanics can change computing - The Conversation US - August 23rd, 2017
- Introducing Australia's first quantum computing hardware company - Computerworld Australia - August 23rd, 2017
- IEEE Approves Standards Project for Quantum Computing ... - insideHPC - August 23rd, 2017
- $495.3 Million Quantum Computing Market 2017 by Revenue Source, Application, Industry, and Geography - Global ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- Physicists Have Made Exotic Quantum States From Light - Futurism - August 16th, 2017
- Machine learning tackles quantum error correction - Phys.Org - August 15th, 2017
- Quantum Internet Is 13 Years Away. Wait, What's Quantum Internet? - WIRED - August 15th, 2017
- Blind quantum computing for everyone - Phys.org - Phys.Org - August 12th, 2017
- Quantum Computing Is Real, and D-Wave Just Open ... - WIRED - August 12th, 2017
- Quantum Computing Market Worth 495.3 Million USD by 2023 | 08 ... - Markets Insider - August 10th, 2017
- China uses a quantum satellite to transmit potentially unhackable data - CNBC - August 10th, 2017
- Physicists Take Big Step Towards Quantum Computing and ... - Universe Today - August 1st, 2017
- Why you might trust a quantum computer with secretseven over ... - Phys.Org - July 12th, 2017
- Quantum-computer node uses two different ion species - physicsworld.com - July 10th, 2017
- Quantum Computers vs Bitcoin How Worried Should We Be? - The Merkle - July 10th, 2017
- Quantum cheques could be a forgery-free way to move money - New Scientist - July 10th, 2017
- Technique for measuring and controlling electron state is a ... - UCLA Newsroom - July 9th, 2017
- Quantum Computers Made Even More Powerful with New microchip generating 'Qudits' - TrendinTech - July 8th, 2017
- Quantum Computing Record Broken - Wall Street Pit - July 8th, 2017