by Kevin R. Smith, Co-Editor
VIPRE Internet Security had the most impressive performance during our battery of tests with only two minor issue.
For our first round of intensive tests, we infected our testing PCs with a wide array of malware, such as viruses, trojans, adware, rogueware, and more. We then activated VIPRE on our test computers and ran a full-system scan on each to see how well it would measure up against these threats.
VIPRE Internet Security did well. After the first scan and reboot, only one piece of malware remained in the background. When the malware tried to run, VIPRE quickly caught it and shut it down.
We’re not sure why VIPRE couldn’t remove it in the first place, but having only one partially get by VIPRE is the best we saw from any other Internet Security suite this year.
The only other minor issue were a few dead desktop items left over from some of the adware. Since none of them would launch since VIPRE had neutralized them it wasn’t a big deal.
Yes, we would have like to see them all gonewho wouldn’t but since we ended up with virtually clean PCs in the end it was a success.
VIPRE Internet Security
VIPRE was so fast at deleting each one, we couldn’t even open them fast enough. In fact, we thought something went wrong, so we tried again.
Same story: VIPRE was identifying and deleting them before they could even do any harm to our computers. Nice.
As we raced to open these multiple malware, we were able to finally open a couple of them on our older test PCs with older versions of Windows. But the moment we tried to install them, they were immediately blocked by VIPRE.
Curiously, after reboot, which we always do, there were a couple files that VIPRE hadn’t deleted for some reason.
We tried to open them, but they failed to launch because VIPRE had rendered them inoperable.
It would’ve been better for VIPRE to just delete the files, but given that there was no threat and that we ended up with otherwise squeaky clean computers in the end, it was ultimately a success. Nice job.
VIPRE antiphishing was one of the best antiphishing filters of the year. It’s one of the few that scored a perfect 100% in blocking phishing attempts.
And, unlike some competitors who make it easy to miss phishing alerts, VIPRE Internet Security completely blocks the page. There’s no chance you’ll miss it, and accidentally enter any sensitive information.
(Thankfully, most other antivirus and Internet Security suites have mimicked VIPRE’s behavior here and do similar obvious web page blocks.)
Further, while some other Internet Security suites require you to install a separate browser add-on to block phishing sites OR they leave it off by default, there’s no such rigamarole with VIPER Internet Security. One you install it, phishing protection is enabled automatically and without any extra steps.
Despite being the cornerstone of a good Internet Security Suite, firewall software remains one of the most misunderstood and under-appreciated components.
It’s also important to note here that an integrated software firewall is one of the single most important components that’s included in Internet security software that isn’t in nearly any basic antivirus program.
When we test the firewall, we first conduct “port scans” of the test PCs to see what the computer looks like to a hacker or worm (a malicious virus that automatically wanders the Internet looking for vulnerable PCs.) We expect to see no open access points (ports), which is what we got.
VIPRE Internet Security is the only firewall we tested that correctly blocked and identified 100% of our malicious connection attempts while also allowing legitimate web traffic to pass through.
The two most important things in this test are that the firewall block these threats and that outbound Internet access to web pages, email, and other services remains functional.
We do this to see if it’s possible for a suspected trojan that the antivirus filter might miss to get stopped by the firewall. In some cases, doing this is a last resort to ferret out malware.
In comparison, some of VIPRE’s Internet Security Software competitors caught some and missed some; some missed all of these threats; and some caught the threats but only at the expense of a complete loss of all Internet access.
As far as we’re concerned, VIPRE’s firewall is in a league of its own.
During our resource usage tests, VIPRE Internet Security proved to be both fast and lightweight, without any significant system drag.
When running idle in the background, VIPRE was imperceptible.
During a full-system scan, VIPRE only affected our test PCs with approximately 11% resource usage on average, which is within norms.
Interestingly though, it was able to complete scans faster than most competitors (in some cases by about ~35%) with similar resource demands.
Overall, we didn’t notice any system drag when doing routine things like downloading large files, or web surfing, even when multiple browsers and tabs were being used.
It’s unchanged from last year, which isn’t great considering it’s our least favorite part of VIPRE.
And, although it’s easy to use, and although everything is well labeled, the interface is one place where the best competitors are doing a better job.
That said, VIPRE’s user interface is easy to use, with a good balance between usability and robust control.
Over the years VIPRE has consistently lead the way with their tech support.
We think highly of it because it’s:
Whether or not you’re a computer whiz, this kind of help can be huge.
Also, very few companies have tech support teams within the U.S., with nearly all outsourcing support to India or Eastern Europe.
Who among us doesn’t know the frustration of dealing with outsource/offshore support? It’s miserable.
Whether or not you’re in the U.S., when you call VIPRE, you’re routed to a technician in the U.S.
Throughout the year, we repeatedly test each company’s tech support.
Our average wait with VIPRE is about five minutes. (Full disclosure: we have had it go as high as nine.)
We did this because while as rigorous as we try to be in our testing, the opinions of a huge group of people in the real world makes the results even better.
Since those first surveys went out, VIPRE is the only company to always score above a 6.
The competitors for the most part park themselves in the mid 4s with ESET and one or two others each year breaking into the 5+ range.
So, across the board it seems like VIPRE fundamentally “gets” support where most competitors just don’t.
(The only downside with ESET’s support is that if you get a virus before you’re an ESET customer, ESET charges a $50 one-time fee for removal assistance if help is needed.)
With VIPRE, virus removal is free anytime.
VIPRE Internet Security
No antivirus software or Internet Security suite is perfect, but VIPRE earned the highest scores among the competitors in the space.Performance was excellent, resource usage was low, and our test PCs were still usable even during a full system scan.
Its real-time virus protection, firewall, and antiphishing are all top-notch.
Add to that 100% free, U.S.-based technical support with no hidden fees, and VIPRE Internet Security wins our Editors Choice Award.
Read more from the original source:
VIPRE Internet Security Review & Comparison
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 Crack + License Key [Latest] - October 12th, 2018
- Zillya! Internet Security | Best Security Solution for Active ... - October 12th, 2018
- Download Norton Internet Security 18.104.22.168 - softpedia.com - October 9th, 2018
- Avast Internet Security 2018 Activation Code, Serial Key Till ... - October 9th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 18.6.2349 Build 18.6.3983 ... - October 9th, 2018
- Download McAfee Internet Security 19.0 Build 19.0.4016 - October 3rd, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 Free Download - FileHippo - October 3rd, 2018
- Internet Security - Quick Heal - October 3rd, 2018
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 v22.214.171.1248 | Software ... - October 3rd, 2018
- Internet Security Suite | Verizon Internet - September 20th, 2018
- Antivirus Security Software & Internet Security - Newegg.com - September 19th, 2018
- Amazon Best Sellers: Best Internet Security Suites - September 7th, 2018
- Download Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 126.96.36.199 - August 24th, 2018
- Best (and Worst) Internet Security Software of 2018 for Windows - August 18th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 | 3 Device | 1 ... - August 8th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security - Free download and software reviews ... - August 3rd, 2018
- Top 3 Internet Security Software Suites Reviews ... - July 26th, 2018
- GRC | LeakTest -- Firewall Leakage Tester - July 26th, 2018
- Internet Security is an important part of Identity Theft ... - June 22nd, 2018
- V3 Internet Security | AhnLab - June 22nd, 2018
- Internet Security with Xfinity - Norton Security Online - June 17th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software Compared - May 25th, 2018
- Computer and internet security software Chili Security - May 21st, 2018
- Internet Security Market Size, Share and Technology, 2021 - May 21st, 2018
- Center for Internet Security - Wikipedia - May 10th, 2018
- Download Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus & Internet ... - May 1st, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 review | Ultimate antivirus ... - April 29th, 2018
- The Internet Security Academy - SAHCOM Technologies LLP - April 27th, 2018
- These files can't be opened. Your Internet security ... - April 20th, 2018
- How to Uninstall Norton Internet Security: 12 Steps - April 20th, 2018
- Internet Security Software at Office Depot OfficeMax - April 19th, 2018
- Why is Internet security important? | Reference.com - March 26th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2018 18.2.3827 20% OFF ... - March 25th, 2018
- Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security - Download - March 21st, 2018
- Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus: AppLock & Web Security ... - March 21st, 2018
- Why do I Need Internet Security - The High Tech Society - March 21st, 2018
- Cincinnati Bell - Other Services Support - March 21st, 2018
- Internet Security Essentials for Business 2.0 | U.S ... - March 21st, 2018
- ESET Internet Security 10.0.386.0 Crack + License Keys ... - March 21st, 2018
- Privacy and Security in the Internet Age | WIRED - March 19th, 2018
- News & Events | K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter ... - March 19th, 2018
- 10 Internet Security Programs (for Windows), Ranked Best ... - March 7th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2015 Free Download - getintopc.com - March 3rd, 2018
- McAfee Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - February 28th, 2018
- COMODO Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - January 30th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software 2018 - The best rated ... - January 28th, 2018
- Comodo Antivirus - Best Virus Removal Software 2018 - January 13th, 2018
- ZoneAlarm Antivirus Software | Virus Protection & Firewall - January 13th, 2018
- What Is the Meaning of Internet Security? | Techwalla.com - January 12th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 17.7.2314 - FileHippo.com - January 12th, 2018
- Vipre Antivirus VIPRE Internet Security - January 12th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 License Key With Crack Full Version - January 8th, 2018
- CA Internet Security Suite Plus - Download - December 27th, 2017
- Collaborative Security: An approach to tackling Internet ... - December 27th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - Download - December 20th, 2017
- Best Internet Security 2017 - Total Security Software for ... - December 20th, 2017
- Get the Best Internet Security Software of 2016! - December 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Administrator: Job Description and Requirements - December 19th, 2017
- Top 10 Cheap Antivirus and Internet Security Protection for ... - December 19th, 2017
- Download AVG Internet Security Unlimited - FileHippo.com - December 19th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - softpedia.com - December 19th, 2017
- Internet Security - Cisco - December 19th, 2017
- Best Antivirus Software, Internet Security & Malware Removal - December 19th, 2017
- internet security | eBay - October 26th, 2017
- Avast Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - October 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Software | Trend Micro - October 3rd, 2017
- Lenovo Faces No Significant Penalty for Security-Destroying Superfish Debacle - ExtremeTech - September 7th, 2017
- 25% Upside Seen In Palo Alto, Argus Research Upgrades To Buy - Benzinga - September 5th, 2017
- How to: Your essential guide to internet security - PC Authority - September 5th, 2017
- Internet security startup founded by former CIA analyst raises $40 million - San Francisco Business Times - September 2nd, 2017
- CyberRehab's mission? To clean up the internet, one ASN block at a time - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- Kaspersky Lab launched updated versions of Kaspersky Internet ... - Software Testing News - September 1st, 2017
- Cloud-based CAE HPC Partnership Focuses on Speed and Security of Data Transfer - ENGINEERING.com - September 1st, 2017
- China's cybersecurity law grants government 'unprecedented' control over foreign tech - The Register - September 1st, 2017
- Symantec CEO Sees Broad-Based Internet Security Threats - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2017
- Expert warns sexting is seen as normal by many young people - Evening Echo Cork - August 31st, 2017
- Internet Explorer - Wikipedia - August 30th, 2017
- Your essential guide to internet security - IT PRO - August 30th, 2017
- DUO to increase student internet security - The Crimson While - August 30th, 2017
- Online threats lead to real-world harm, say security experts - CNBC - August 30th, 2017