Security and privacy are always hot topics when it comes to discussions about the internet. And with the emerging internet of things, security and privacy questions are becoming even more prevalent.
The Internet of Things (IoT) world may be exciting, but there are serious technical challenges that need to be addressed, especially by developers. In this handbook, learn how to meet the security, analytics, and testing requirements for IoT applications.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Its one thing to safeguard your passwords or to carefully designate who can view your online photos. But connecting your home to the internet? That could be dangerous or just plain unnerving. Imagine someone hacks your house and can turn lights on and off, or open the front door at will. So its no surprise that many companies are spending a lot of money and engineering hours on making smart home systems safe and secure.
At the same time, a new generation of products is getting popular. Take Alexa (and her cousins): a microphone in the middle of the room where you call and she answers whatever your question may be. The weather in Rome. The news in Atlanta. The business hours of a nearby store. Its essentially a browser you can talk to that understands what you are asking and, most of the time, provides solid answers.
This technology is a big step forward, both in technology and as a new way of connecting and interacting with the internet. The screen and keyboard are now a microphone and speaker. Technology prognosticators are already predicting that this method of computer interaction will soon become dominant.
So, back to security and privacy. Product manufacturers let us install passwords, and they implement encryption along with a host of other security features so that our secrets stay secret. But we suddenly fall in love with Alexa, believing that Alexa only listens if we say, Hi Alexa, before asking a question. Right? Just like we believe that our smartphone only listens if we say, Hey Siri. Right? Or that our voice-enabled remote control only listens if we push the voice button (Right?)
Recently I met someone who had placed a sticker over the camera on his laptop. I asked him why, and the answer was not terribly surprising: I want to make sure that I am not being watched. But what about being listened to? Which is potentially more damaging someone looking at your face while you are at your computer or someone able to listen to what you are saying anytime you are near the computer?
In addition to a sticker over the camera, should there be earbuds on the microphone? And what about cell phones? Is your cell phone listening to your conversations when youre not using it? Well, probably not, at least not so far. But with this promising new user interface, replacing the keyboard and screen with a microphone and speaker is becoming mainstream.
Now, think about introducing this concept in every piece of equipment in our homes. We could talk to the washing machine, dishwasher, refrigerator, television and so forth, but all these appliances and electronics would be permanently listening. What we say could be sent over the internet to an interpreter that translates words into code that can be executed, as if we had typed it into a browser. The result is either sent back over the internet as an action to do something (for example, turn on off the lights, start the dishwasher), or it is sent back as a voice stream that comes out of the speaker.
So, yes, we care about security and we heed the warnings to pay attention to privacy. But on the other hand, we all now walk around with cameras and microphones that 007 (the Sean Connery version, at least) could only dream of. How do we balance installing microphones in every room in our house with paranoia?
Product developers and manufacturers should put security and privacy first in building technology for voice-enabled wireless equipment like remote controls. Do not develop technology that listens to anything not intentionally shared and, by the way, the remote batteries would die quickly without the option to turn the microphone on and off. But we cannot control who uses our technology, in what kinds of products and with what intent.
Put security and privacy first, not because there may be a little man in your TV listening to conversations in your living room, but because this next generation of technology is rolling out quickly and skyrocketing in popularity. Without putting security first, will there ever be a legal framework protecting the consumer and defining responsibilities? Who will be responsible if a third party hacks or otherwise abuses the technology capabilities?
Headline-making cyberattacks on big companies and their customers passwords, credit card numbers and email addresses are just the beginning. With the arrival of IoT and technology advancements in our homes and in our lives, security and privacy are becoming more important than ever.
All IoT Agenda network contributors are responsible for the content and accuracy of their posts. Opinions are of the writers and do not necessarily convey the thoughts of IoT Agenda.
Originally posted here:
The internet, security and privacy – TechTarget (blog)
- Download COMODO Internet Security 22.214.171.12444 - softpedia.com - January 31st, 2019
- Avast Internet Security Review 2018 - We Hate Malware - November 8th, 2018
- Security Packages | High-Speed Internet | Windstream - November 8th, 2018
- Antivirus vs Internet Security [Security Software Comparison] - November 8th, 2018
- Internet Security Lectures by Prabhaker Mateti - November 8th, 2018
- Vipre Internet Security 2016 Free Download - Softlay - November 8th, 2018
- Internet security software Reviews 2018 - Compared & Reviewed - November 2nd, 2018
- Exhibit A - Internet Security Requirements - November 2nd, 2018
- CIS Benchmarks - Center for Internet Security - November 2nd, 2018
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 Crack + License Key [Latest] - October 12th, 2018
- Zillya! Internet Security | Best Security Solution for Active ... - October 12th, 2018
- Download Norton Internet Security 126.96.36.199 - softpedia.com - October 9th, 2018
- Avast Internet Security 2018 Activation Code, Serial Key Till ... - October 9th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 18.6.2349 Build 18.6.3983 ... - October 9th, 2018
- Download McAfee Internet Security 19.0 Build 19.0.4016 - October 3rd, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 Free Download - FileHippo - October 3rd, 2018
- Internet Security - Quick Heal - October 3rd, 2018
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 v188.8.131.528 | Software ... - October 3rd, 2018
- VIPRE Internet Security Review & Comparison - September 22nd, 2018
- Internet Security Suite | Verizon Internet - September 20th, 2018
- Antivirus Security Software & Internet Security - Newegg.com - September 19th, 2018
- Amazon Best Sellers: Best Internet Security Suites - September 7th, 2018
- Download Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 184.108.40.206 - August 24th, 2018
- Best (and Worst) Internet Security Software of 2018 for Windows - August 18th, 2018
- Amazon.com: Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 | 3 Device | 1 ... - August 8th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security - Free download and software reviews ... - August 3rd, 2018
- Top 3 Internet Security Software Suites Reviews ... - July 26th, 2018
- GRC | LeakTest -- Firewall Leakage Tester - July 26th, 2018
- Internet Security is an important part of Identity Theft ... - June 22nd, 2018
- V3 Internet Security | AhnLab - June 22nd, 2018
- Internet Security with Xfinity - Norton Security Online - June 17th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software Compared - May 25th, 2018
- Computer and internet security software Chili Security - May 21st, 2018
- Internet Security Market Size, Share and Technology, 2021 - May 21st, 2018
- Center for Internet Security - Wikipedia - May 10th, 2018
- Download Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus & Internet ... - May 1st, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 review | Ultimate antivirus ... - April 29th, 2018
- The Internet Security Academy - SAHCOM Technologies LLP - April 27th, 2018
- These files can't be opened. Your Internet security ... - April 20th, 2018
- How to Uninstall Norton Internet Security: 12 Steps - April 20th, 2018
- Internet Security Software at Office Depot OfficeMax - April 19th, 2018
- Why is Internet security important? | Reference.com - March 26th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security Unlimited 2018 18.2.3827 20% OFF ... - March 25th, 2018
- Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security - Download - March 21st, 2018
- Kaspersky Mobile Antivirus: AppLock & Web Security ... - March 21st, 2018
- Why do I Need Internet Security - The High Tech Society - March 21st, 2018
- Cincinnati Bell - Other Services Support - March 21st, 2018
- Internet Security Essentials for Business 2.0 | U.S ... - March 21st, 2018
- ESET Internet Security 10.0.386.0 Crack + License Keys ... - March 21st, 2018
- Privacy and Security in the Internet Age | WIRED - March 19th, 2018
- News & Events | K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter ... - March 19th, 2018
- 10 Internet Security Programs (for Windows), Ranked Best ... - March 7th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2015 Free Download - getintopc.com - March 3rd, 2018
- McAfee Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - February 28th, 2018
- COMODO Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - January 30th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software 2018 - The best rated ... - January 28th, 2018
- Comodo Antivirus - Best Virus Removal Software 2018 - January 13th, 2018
- ZoneAlarm Antivirus Software | Virus Protection & Firewall - January 13th, 2018
- What Is the Meaning of Internet Security? | Techwalla.com - January 12th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 17.7.2314 - FileHippo.com - January 12th, 2018
- Vipre Antivirus VIPRE Internet Security - January 12th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 License Key With Crack Full Version - January 8th, 2018
- CA Internet Security Suite Plus - Download - December 27th, 2017
- Collaborative Security: An approach to tackling Internet ... - December 27th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - Download - December 20th, 2017
- Best Internet Security 2017 - Total Security Software for ... - December 20th, 2017
- Get the Best Internet Security Software of 2016! - December 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Administrator: Job Description and Requirements - December 19th, 2017
- Top 10 Cheap Antivirus and Internet Security Protection for ... - December 19th, 2017
- Download AVG Internet Security Unlimited - FileHippo.com - December 19th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - softpedia.com - December 19th, 2017
- Internet Security - Cisco - December 19th, 2017
- Best Antivirus Software, Internet Security & Malware Removal - December 19th, 2017
- internet security | eBay - October 26th, 2017
- Avast Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - October 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Software | Trend Micro - October 3rd, 2017
- Lenovo Faces No Significant Penalty for Security-Destroying Superfish Debacle - ExtremeTech - September 7th, 2017
- 25% Upside Seen In Palo Alto, Argus Research Upgrades To Buy - Benzinga - September 5th, 2017
- How to: Your essential guide to internet security - PC Authority - September 5th, 2017
- Internet security startup founded by former CIA analyst raises $40 million - San Francisco Business Times - September 2nd, 2017