Mozilla’s Rust programming language is designed to be more secure.
And if its enthusiastic reception in programming circles continues, Rust could help protect a lot of other software from attacks that today are the bane of online existence. Attackers who have learned to exploit vulnerabilities in internet-linked software are responsible for stolen identities, drained bank accounts, leaked confidential documents and political persecution.
Rust, the “most loved” language in a 2017 survey by programming advice site Stack Overflow, won allies like online storage service Dropbox. Programmers have contributed tens of thousands of packages of pre-written code to help others get their projects moving faster, too. Need to decode a web address, check the time, or handle some video? Somebody’s probably already written the basics for you.
In a sign of growing interest, programmers are steadily increasing the number of pre-written Rust packages. That make it faster to get started with a Rust software project.
“Rust is growing,” says Redmonk analyst Stephen O’Grady, who tracks language popularity. “It made a substantial jump and is now solidly in second-tier language territory — which is good company to be in.”
Looking good in programmers’ eyes improves Mozilla’s reputation as an innovator, not a laggard to be left behind. “The language is exciting,” says Jonathan “Duke” Leto, the founder of programming firm Leto Labs. Restoring that reputation is important for Mozilla’s attempt to ignite enthusiasm for its Firefox browser and use it for goals like protecting your privacy or making sure Google’s websites don’t require you to use Google’s browser.
The biggest reason to like Rust is that it can wipe out a huge class of software security holes — a major problem with browsers that today handle everything from our most personal communications to our biggest financial transactions. Even if you’re not a programmer, you’ll like a more secure internet.
“Every big piece of Rust code we get in there decreases the attack surface for security holes in the browser,” says Dave Herman, Mozilla’s director of strategy and research.
Rust’s safety lets Mozilla free up Firefox memory, too, a key computing resource these days as we keep so many browser tabs open. Rust is also designed to better handle the thorny computing challenge of doing many tasks in parallel — that’s key to unlocking the power of modern chips that have many processing engines.
Even if nobody outside Mozilla ever touches Rust, it will directly help Firefox. Mozilla moves Rust-written components into Firefox through a project fittingly called Oxidation. Indeed, Rust and Oxidation are key to a project called Quantum to speed up Firefox with the release of Firefox 57 this November.
Sean White, Mozilla’s vice president of technology strategy
“You can try a lot of different experiments,” says Sean White, Mozilla’s senior vice president leading the emerging technologies. “We have way we can very quickly try and fail on things without touching the hundreds of millions of people using Firefox.”
The source for these Rust components is new core browser software called Servo, a Mozilla research project that’s written mostly in Rust.
Going whole hog and building a new browser entirely on Servo would be risky, though. Instead, Mozilla is cherry-picking the best parts and adding them to Firefox’s core, called Gecko. “The future is intelligently managing the combination of the two,” says David Bryant, Mozilla’s vice president of platform engineering.
In the longer run, Mozilla wants Servo to be useful on its own. It struggles today even with basic web documents like Wikipedia. Mozilla’s goal of getting it to work with the much more complicated Google Docs site is actually very ambitious. If successful, though, it would signal a major step forward in overall practical readiness.
David Bryant, Mozilla’s VP of platform engineering
And Mozilla is considering making a version of Servo that can be embedded into smaller computing devices, White says. One possible example: a VR headset that displays virtual reality worlds constructed with the WebVR technology Mozilla helped create. Servo is designed to take advantage of modern computer chips that can run lots of tasks in parallel, and success there could make Servo very efficient on inexpensive hardware.
Another programmer, Robert O’Callahan, is such a big Rust fan that he quit Mozilla to work on Rust programming tools at his startup, Pernosco. Most languages either give programmers low-level control or protection against memory-induced security problems, but not both. “Rust is the first mainstream language to escape that tradeoff,” O’Callahan says.
Even if you don’t care much about programmers toiling over their keyboards, you should care about that Rust advantage. With governments and identity thieves paying top dollar for computer attack software, everyone on the internet can be a potential victim.
Intolerance on the Internet: Online abuse is as old as the internet and it’s only getting worse. It exacts a very real toll.
It’s Complicated: This is dating in the age of apps. Having fun yet? These stories get to the heart of the matter.
Follow this link:
Mozilla bets its Rust language will make your internet safer – CNET
- Comodo Antivirus - Best Virus Removal Software 2018 - January 13th, 2018
- ZoneAlarm Antivirus Software | Virus Protection & Firewall - January 13th, 2018
- What Is the Meaning of Internet Security? | Techwalla.com - January 12th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 17.7.2314 - FileHippo.com - January 12th, 2018
- Vipre Antivirus VIPRE Internet Security - January 12th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 License Key With Crack Full Version - January 8th, 2018
- CA Internet Security Suite Plus - Download - December 27th, 2017
- Collaborative Security: An approach to tackling Internet ... - December 27th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - Download - December 20th, 2017
- Best Internet Security 2017 - Total Security Software for ... - December 20th, 2017
- Get the Best Internet Security Software of 2016! - December 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Administrator: Job Description and Requirements - December 19th, 2017
- Top 10 Cheap Antivirus and Internet Security Protection for ... - December 19th, 2017
- Download AVG Internet Security Unlimited - FileHippo.com - December 19th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - softpedia.com - December 19th, 2017
- Internet Security - Cisco - December 19th, 2017
- Best Antivirus Software, Internet Security & Malware Removal - December 19th, 2017
- internet security | eBay - October 26th, 2017
- Avast Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - October 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Software | Trend Micro - October 3rd, 2017
- Lenovo Faces No Significant Penalty for Security-Destroying Superfish Debacle - ExtremeTech - September 7th, 2017
- 25% Upside Seen In Palo Alto, Argus Research Upgrades To Buy - Benzinga - September 5th, 2017
- How to: Your essential guide to internet security - PC Authority - September 5th, 2017
- Internet security startup founded by former CIA analyst raises $40 million - San Francisco Business Times - September 2nd, 2017
- CyberRehab's mission? To clean up the internet, one ASN block at a time - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- Kaspersky Lab launched updated versions of Kaspersky Internet ... - Software Testing News - September 1st, 2017
- Cloud-based CAE HPC Partnership Focuses on Speed and Security of Data Transfer - ENGINEERING.com - September 1st, 2017
- China's cybersecurity law grants government 'unprecedented' control over foreign tech - The Register - September 1st, 2017
- Symantec CEO Sees Broad-Based Internet Security Threats - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2017
- Expert warns sexting is seen as normal by many young people - Evening Echo Cork - August 31st, 2017
- Internet Explorer - Wikipedia - August 30th, 2017
- Your essential guide to internet security - IT PRO - August 30th, 2017
- DUO to increase student internet security - The Crimson While - August 30th, 2017
- Online threats lead to real-world harm, say security experts - CNBC - August 30th, 2017
- Net neutered: When ISPs like Comcast crash the cloud - ZDNet - August 30th, 2017
- Upgrade your internet security with Private Internet Access VPN ... - Popular Science - August 28th, 2017
- Internet 101 Survey results show disconnect between confidence and Internet user knowledge - TechSpot - August 28th, 2017
- Leak of >1700 valid passwords could make the IoT mess much worse - Ars Technica - August 27th, 2017
- How to Choose the Best Internet Security Software? | Bdaily - Bdaily - August 25th, 2017
- China overtakes Belgium on world innovation index - TechNode (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Zephyr Cove internet security company enters into Paten Standstill Agreement - Northern Nevada Business Weekly - August 25th, 2017
- Internet key to farm security, farmer Bruce Crafter says at Farm Security and Farmers Health Expo in Bendigo - Bendigo Advertiser - August 25th, 2017
- Q2 2017 Akamai State Of The Internet / Security Report Analyzes Re-Emergence Of PBot Malware; Domain Generation ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- OneLogin is Changing How We Think About Internet Security - HiTechChronicle - August 25th, 2017
- Q2 2017 Akamai State Of The Internet / Security Report Analyzes Re-Emergence Of PBot Malware; Domain Generation ... - GuruFocus.com - August 23rd, 2017
- Getting serious about research ethics: Security and Internet Measurement - Freedom to Tinker - August 23rd, 2017
- Dozens of pro-Trump rallies retreat to internet, insist it's not due to poor attendance - Mashable - August 22nd, 2017
- Ransomware Victims Pay Much More Than Just the Ransom - eWeek - August 22nd, 2017
- A Very Dumb Mistake Costs Cryptocurrency Investors Big Time - WIRED - August 22nd, 2017
- WomensLaw.org | Internet Security - August 20th, 2017
- Facebook Awards $100K for Spear Phishing Security Research - eWeek - August 19th, 2017
- Resilience, Emergencies and the Internet: Security In-Formation - Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- LIBTELCO Hosts First Cyber Security Confab - Liberian Daily Observer - August 18th, 2017
- Free or hate speech? Silicon Valley searches for proper line - CBS News - August 18th, 2017
- The Yin-Yang of Cybersecurity Legislation The Internet of Things Cybersecurity Act - CSO Online - August 16th, 2017
- Women build capacity in internet security - Ghana News Agency - August 14th, 2017
- Can US lawmakers fix IoT security for good? - Network World - August 14th, 2017
- 3 Problems Related to Internet Security and Online Safety - Bdaily - August 14th, 2017
- Internet security at home avoid being an online victim - North Coast Courier - August 11th, 2017
- Healthcare Industry May Not Be Prepared For Internet of Things - JD Supra (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Kaspersky Lab Launches Internet Security Campaign in Asia Pacific - Guiding Tech - August 10th, 2017
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 - PCMag India - August 6th, 2017
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 184.108.40.2065 - Tech Advisor - August 3rd, 2017
- Top 5 Internet Security Practices to Staying Safe Online - The Merkle - August 1st, 2017
- Every day is Internet Security Day | Opinion | thenewsherald.com - Southgate News Herald - August 1st, 2017
- Security This Week: The Very Best Hacks From Black Hat and Defcon - WIRED - August 1st, 2017
- 'Internet of things' hackers raise cloud of fear - E&E News - August 1st, 2017
- Facebook Donates $1M in New Funds for Internet Security at Black Hat - eWeek - August 1st, 2017
- ARRIS Launches First Gateway with ARRIS Secure Home Internet by McAfee; Exclusively at Best Buy - PR Newswire (press release) - July 12th, 2017
- Bitdefender unveils 2018 edition of Total Security, Internet Security ... - Windows Report - July 12th, 2017
- Women in IT Security: Eight Women to Watch - SC Magazine - July 11th, 2017
- The Internet of Identities (IoI) - CSO Online - July 11th, 2017
- Trump Says He Pressed Putin, While Casting More Doubt On Election Meddling - NPR - July 9th, 2017
- Internet freedom must be protected but also respected - Independent Online - July 9th, 2017
- The internet, security and privacy - TechTarget (blog) - July 7th, 2017
- Save 20 Percent on AVG Internet Security Unlimited, AVG Ultimate - PCMag - July 7th, 2017
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 One of the most efficient security suites - GameSinners (press release) (blog) - July 5th, 2017
- The Whole Internet Is Managed By 14 People; Each One Is A Security Keyholder - Fossbytes - July 5th, 2017
- In our opinion: Individuals and governments should do more to recognize and combat cyber attacks - Deseret News - July 5th, 2017
- See Which Mac Antivirus Protects Best (and Worst) - Laptop Mag - July 5th, 2017