Cyber security, now theres an unusual juxtaposition. Trying to control the free flow of information on the internet is like trying to pull the plug on gravity.
Netizens are panicked, and rightly so, over the latest financial computer worm WannaCry which hit 150 countries. The good old mattress seems to be an appealing option to stash hard earned moolah.
A dark cloud hangs over the USs formidable security as there is a good possibility that Russian tinkering helped deliver motor-mouth Donald Trump to the countrys presidential seat. If true, the security breach is far-reaching and could turn geopolitics on its head.
There are a myriad viruses that challenge coders on a daily basis.
According to Chinas IT giant Tencents annual report on internet security, last year alone its anti-virus lab identified 148 million new internet viruses.
The US insurance industry estimates the cost of cybercrime to the global economy at more than $450 billion.
Governments all over the world are seeking to manage and rein in cyber criminals bustling trade. A mammoth task, but one must admire their temerity for trying. Even if its just to placate ordinary citizens and help them sleep at night.
In recent weeks, the US and China passed tough cyber security laws.
Chinas cyber security law came into effect on June 1. The country has 730 million netizens. The government has clarified that it was not intended to manage foreign websites nor restrict the free flow of information.
The Cyberspace Administration of China released a statement saying that the law was to prevent any infringement of its cyber sovereignty. It would stop illegal information entering China under the pretext of providing free flow of information.
The administration believed this did not contradict its support for the free flow of information.
In the real world, all enterprises or individuals are required to observe laws of the countries they enter, and there should be no exception in cyberspace, it said. While the merits of this statement may be heavily contested by freedom of information activists, there is a positive part of the law which deals with the protection of personal information.
Professor of law at the Communication University of China told monthly magazine Beijing Review that the law would protect the publics personal information.
The trading of customers personal information is a pesky business which internet and cellphone users have to endure. The law clarifies the responsibilities of internet service providers and operators and promises heavy penaltiesfor trading personal information.
A survey by the Internet Society of China showed 84% of internet users were affected by personal information leaks.
In South Africa, Parliament has tabled the controversial Cybercrimes and Cybersecurity Bill for public comment this month. The bill has been doing the rounds since 2015 and is inching closer to being signed into law.
Activists have cautioned that parts of the bill are so broadly defined that they are open to abuse. For example, whistleblowers and journalists have little or no protection. If information is obtained unlawfully, even if it is in the public interest, both the whistleblower who leaked it and the journalist who published it can face criminal charges. Parts of the bill regrettably also gag freedom of speech. If it succeeds, it would be a blight on our hard-fought democracy.
Drafting law to combat cyber crime is a worthy pursuit but turning ordinary citizens and journalists into criminals is a crime in itself.
Melanie Peters is the Live Editor of Weekend Argus. She is on a 10-month scholarship with the China Africa Press Centre. Instagram: mels_chinese_takeout
See the original post:
Internet freedom must be protected but also respected – Independent Online
- Comodo Antivirus - Best Virus Removal Software 2018 - January 13th, 2018
- ZoneAlarm Antivirus Software | Virus Protection & Firewall - January 13th, 2018
- What Is the Meaning of Internet Security? | Techwalla.com - January 12th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 17.7.2314 - FileHippo.com - January 12th, 2018
- Vipre Antivirus VIPRE Internet Security - January 12th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 License Key With Crack Full Version - January 8th, 2018
- CA Internet Security Suite Plus - Download - December 27th, 2017
- Collaborative Security: An approach to tackling Internet ... - December 27th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - Download - December 20th, 2017
- Best Internet Security 2017 - Total Security Software for ... - December 20th, 2017
- Get the Best Internet Security Software of 2016! - December 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Administrator: Job Description and Requirements - December 19th, 2017
- Top 10 Cheap Antivirus and Internet Security Protection for ... - December 19th, 2017
- Download AVG Internet Security Unlimited - FileHippo.com - December 19th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - softpedia.com - December 19th, 2017
- Internet Security - Cisco - December 19th, 2017
- Best Antivirus Software, Internet Security & Malware Removal - December 19th, 2017
- internet security | eBay - October 26th, 2017
- Avast Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - October 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Software | Trend Micro - October 3rd, 2017
- Lenovo Faces No Significant Penalty for Security-Destroying Superfish Debacle - ExtremeTech - September 7th, 2017
- 25% Upside Seen In Palo Alto, Argus Research Upgrades To Buy - Benzinga - September 5th, 2017
- How to: Your essential guide to internet security - PC Authority - September 5th, 2017
- Internet security startup founded by former CIA analyst raises $40 million - San Francisco Business Times - September 2nd, 2017
- CyberRehab's mission? To clean up the internet, one ASN block at a time - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- Kaspersky Lab launched updated versions of Kaspersky Internet ... - Software Testing News - September 1st, 2017
- Cloud-based CAE HPC Partnership Focuses on Speed and Security of Data Transfer - ENGINEERING.com - September 1st, 2017
- China's cybersecurity law grants government 'unprecedented' control over foreign tech - The Register - September 1st, 2017
- Symantec CEO Sees Broad-Based Internet Security Threats - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2017
- Expert warns sexting is seen as normal by many young people - Evening Echo Cork - August 31st, 2017
- Internet Explorer - Wikipedia - August 30th, 2017
- Your essential guide to internet security - IT PRO - August 30th, 2017
- DUO to increase student internet security - The Crimson While - August 30th, 2017
- Online threats lead to real-world harm, say security experts - CNBC - August 30th, 2017
- Net neutered: When ISPs like Comcast crash the cloud - ZDNet - August 30th, 2017
- Upgrade your internet security with Private Internet Access VPN ... - Popular Science - August 28th, 2017
- Internet 101 Survey results show disconnect between confidence and Internet user knowledge - TechSpot - August 28th, 2017
- Leak of >1700 valid passwords could make the IoT mess much worse - Ars Technica - August 27th, 2017
- How to Choose the Best Internet Security Software? | Bdaily - Bdaily - August 25th, 2017
- China overtakes Belgium on world innovation index - TechNode (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Zephyr Cove internet security company enters into Paten Standstill Agreement - Northern Nevada Business Weekly - August 25th, 2017
- Internet key to farm security, farmer Bruce Crafter says at Farm Security and Farmers Health Expo in Bendigo - Bendigo Advertiser - August 25th, 2017
- Q2 2017 Akamai State Of The Internet / Security Report Analyzes Re-Emergence Of PBot Malware; Domain Generation ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- OneLogin is Changing How We Think About Internet Security - HiTechChronicle - August 25th, 2017
- Q2 2017 Akamai State Of The Internet / Security Report Analyzes Re-Emergence Of PBot Malware; Domain Generation ... - GuruFocus.com - August 23rd, 2017
- Getting serious about research ethics: Security and Internet Measurement - Freedom to Tinker - August 23rd, 2017
- Dozens of pro-Trump rallies retreat to internet, insist it's not due to poor attendance - Mashable - August 22nd, 2017
- Ransomware Victims Pay Much More Than Just the Ransom - eWeek - August 22nd, 2017
- A Very Dumb Mistake Costs Cryptocurrency Investors Big Time - WIRED - August 22nd, 2017
- WomensLaw.org | Internet Security - August 20th, 2017
- Facebook Awards $100K for Spear Phishing Security Research - eWeek - August 19th, 2017
- Resilience, Emergencies and the Internet: Security In-Formation - Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- LIBTELCO Hosts First Cyber Security Confab - Liberian Daily Observer - August 18th, 2017
- Free or hate speech? Silicon Valley searches for proper line - CBS News - August 18th, 2017
- The Yin-Yang of Cybersecurity Legislation The Internet of Things Cybersecurity Act - CSO Online - August 16th, 2017
- Women build capacity in internet security - Ghana News Agency - August 14th, 2017
- Can US lawmakers fix IoT security for good? - Network World - August 14th, 2017
- 3 Problems Related to Internet Security and Online Safety - Bdaily - August 14th, 2017
- Internet security at home avoid being an online victim - North Coast Courier - August 11th, 2017
- Healthcare Industry May Not Be Prepared For Internet of Things - JD Supra (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Kaspersky Lab Launches Internet Security Campaign in Asia Pacific - Guiding Tech - August 10th, 2017
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 - PCMag India - August 6th, 2017
- Mozilla bets its Rust language will make your internet safer - CNET - August 3rd, 2017
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 184.108.40.2065 - Tech Advisor - August 3rd, 2017
- Top 5 Internet Security Practices to Staying Safe Online - The Merkle - August 1st, 2017
- Every day is Internet Security Day | Opinion | thenewsherald.com - Southgate News Herald - August 1st, 2017
- Security This Week: The Very Best Hacks From Black Hat and Defcon - WIRED - August 1st, 2017
- 'Internet of things' hackers raise cloud of fear - E&E News - August 1st, 2017
- Facebook Donates $1M in New Funds for Internet Security at Black Hat - eWeek - August 1st, 2017
- ARRIS Launches First Gateway with ARRIS Secure Home Internet by McAfee; Exclusively at Best Buy - PR Newswire (press release) - July 12th, 2017
- Bitdefender unveils 2018 edition of Total Security, Internet Security ... - Windows Report - July 12th, 2017
- Women in IT Security: Eight Women to Watch - SC Magazine - July 11th, 2017
- The Internet of Identities (IoI) - CSO Online - July 11th, 2017
- Trump Says He Pressed Putin, While Casting More Doubt On Election Meddling - NPR - July 9th, 2017
- The internet, security and privacy - TechTarget (blog) - July 7th, 2017
- Save 20 Percent on AVG Internet Security Unlimited, AVG Ultimate - PCMag - July 7th, 2017
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2017 One of the most efficient security suites - GameSinners (press release) (blog) - July 5th, 2017
- The Whole Internet Is Managed By 14 People; Each One Is A Security Keyholder - Fossbytes - July 5th, 2017
- In our opinion: Individuals and governments should do more to recognize and combat cyber attacks - Deseret News - July 5th, 2017
- See Which Mac Antivirus Protects Best (and Worst) - Laptop Mag - July 5th, 2017