SEXUALLY explicit messages, photographs and images sent back and forth between young people is considered normal modern day flirting, according to internet security expert Avril Ronan.
Ms Ronan, who is head of internet security at Trend Micro, said the phenomenon called sexting is now viewed as normal and this new culture is putting pressure on teens to share such images.
I am not saying it is acceptable, but I am saying kids these days see it as modern day flirting.
Receiving naked images of an under 18-year-old is considered a child pornography crime under Irish legislation, however, according to Mr Ronan, there is an epidemic of young people engaged in such activity.
Sexting under the age of 18 is considered a professional distribution of child sexual abuse material, but kids dont know that, she said.
Ms Ronan said it was important to educate children on the legal guidelines surrounding the use of the internet and mobile phone applications.
Kids are smart and savvy all they need is the information and they will be wiser of it, she added.
The internet expert said the trend is putting a lot of young people in a compromising position and also under a lot of pressure.
It puts a lot of pressure on people and again how much of a violation of your privacy and your safety and your security it can be when you post images of yourself or others in compromising situations online.
In some situations, the images can lead to cyber bullying in schools and in communities.
You get exposed to cyber bullying as a result of it, Ms Ronan said.
The internet safety expert advised people to think twice before posting an intimate image online or sending a sexually explicit message or photograph to another individual as in some cases it can lead to blackmail called sextortion.
If you are a target of cyber bullying already you become automatically a potential victim or client for a predator to approach and befriend and build a trusting relationship with and then leads to sexual coercion which is when they blackmail you for money they may get you to take naked photographs of yourself, video yourself naked.
Ms Ronan encouraged young people to take care online and be savvy with the messages they send to others.
You may think you are in a trusting relationship and it turns out that they are not who they say they were and then they may ask you for money or they are going to potentially expose you to everyone in your broader community.
See the article here:
Expert warns sexting is seen as normal by many young people – Evening Echo Cork
- 10 Internet Security Programs (for Windows), Ranked Best ... - March 7th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2015 Free Download - getintopc.com - March 3rd, 2018
- McAfee Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - February 28th, 2018
- COMODO Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - January 30th, 2018
- Best Internet Security Software 2018 - The best rated ... - January 28th, 2018
- Comodo Antivirus - Best Virus Removal Software 2018 - January 13th, 2018
- ZoneAlarm Antivirus Software | Virus Protection & Firewall - January 13th, 2018
- What Is the Meaning of Internet Security? | Techwalla.com - January 12th, 2018
- Download Avast Internet Security 17.7.2314 - FileHippo.com - January 12th, 2018
- Vipre Antivirus VIPRE Internet Security - January 12th, 2018
- AVG Internet Security 2018 License Key With Crack Full Version - January 8th, 2018
- CA Internet Security Suite Plus - Download - December 27th, 2017
- Collaborative Security: An approach to tackling Internet ... - December 27th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - Download - December 20th, 2017
- Best Internet Security 2017 - Total Security Software for ... - December 20th, 2017
- Get the Best Internet Security Software of 2016! - December 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Administrator: Job Description and Requirements - December 19th, 2017
- Top 10 Cheap Antivirus and Internet Security Protection for ... - December 19th, 2017
- Download AVG Internet Security Unlimited - FileHippo.com - December 19th, 2017
- Norton Internet Security - softpedia.com - December 19th, 2017
- Internet Security - Cisco - December 19th, 2017
- Best Antivirus Software, Internet Security & Malware Removal - December 19th, 2017
- internet security | eBay - October 26th, 2017
- Avast Internet Security Download - softpedia.com - October 20th, 2017
- Internet Security Software | Trend Micro - October 3rd, 2017
- Lenovo Faces No Significant Penalty for Security-Destroying Superfish Debacle - ExtremeTech - September 7th, 2017
- 25% Upside Seen In Palo Alto, Argus Research Upgrades To Buy - Benzinga - September 5th, 2017
- How to: Your essential guide to internet security - PC Authority - September 5th, 2017
- Internet security startup founded by former CIA analyst raises $40 million - San Francisco Business Times - September 2nd, 2017
- CyberRehab's mission? To clean up the internet, one ASN block at a time - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- Kaspersky Lab launched updated versions of Kaspersky Internet ... - Software Testing News - September 1st, 2017
- Cloud-based CAE HPC Partnership Focuses on Speed and Security of Data Transfer - ENGINEERING.com - September 1st, 2017
- China's cybersecurity law grants government 'unprecedented' control over foreign tech - The Register - September 1st, 2017
- Symantec CEO Sees Broad-Based Internet Security Threats - Bloomberg - August 31st, 2017
- Internet Explorer - Wikipedia - August 30th, 2017
- Your essential guide to internet security - IT PRO - August 30th, 2017
- DUO to increase student internet security - The Crimson While - August 30th, 2017
- Online threats lead to real-world harm, say security experts - CNBC - August 30th, 2017
- Net neutered: When ISPs like Comcast crash the cloud - ZDNet - August 30th, 2017
- Upgrade your internet security with Private Internet Access VPN ... - Popular Science - August 28th, 2017
- Internet 101 Survey results show disconnect between confidence and Internet user knowledge - TechSpot - August 28th, 2017
- Leak of >1700 valid passwords could make the IoT mess much worse - Ars Technica - August 27th, 2017
- How to Choose the Best Internet Security Software? | Bdaily - Bdaily - August 25th, 2017
- China overtakes Belgium on world innovation index - TechNode (blog) - August 25th, 2017
- Zephyr Cove internet security company enters into Paten Standstill Agreement - Northern Nevada Business Weekly - August 25th, 2017
- Internet key to farm security, farmer Bruce Crafter says at Farm Security and Farmers Health Expo in Bendigo - Bendigo Advertiser - August 25th, 2017
- Q2 2017 Akamai State Of The Internet / Security Report Analyzes Re-Emergence Of PBot Malware; Domain Generation ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- OneLogin is Changing How We Think About Internet Security - HiTechChronicle - August 25th, 2017
- Q2 2017 Akamai State Of The Internet / Security Report Analyzes Re-Emergence Of PBot Malware; Domain Generation ... - GuruFocus.com - August 23rd, 2017
- Getting serious about research ethics: Security and Internet Measurement - Freedom to Tinker - August 23rd, 2017
- Dozens of pro-Trump rallies retreat to internet, insist it's not due to poor attendance - Mashable - August 22nd, 2017
- Ransomware Victims Pay Much More Than Just the Ransom - eWeek - August 22nd, 2017
- A Very Dumb Mistake Costs Cryptocurrency Investors Big Time - WIRED - August 22nd, 2017
- WomensLaw.org | Internet Security - August 20th, 2017
- Facebook Awards $100K for Spear Phishing Security Research - eWeek - August 19th, 2017
- Resilience, Emergencies and the Internet: Security In-Formation - Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO) (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- LIBTELCO Hosts First Cyber Security Confab - Liberian Daily Observer - August 18th, 2017
- Free or hate speech? Silicon Valley searches for proper line - CBS News - August 18th, 2017
- The Yin-Yang of Cybersecurity Legislation The Internet of Things Cybersecurity Act - CSO Online - August 16th, 2017
- Women build capacity in internet security - Ghana News Agency - August 14th, 2017
- Can US lawmakers fix IoT security for good? - Network World - August 14th, 2017
- 3 Problems Related to Internet Security and Online Safety - Bdaily - August 14th, 2017
- Internet security at home avoid being an online victim - North Coast Courier - August 11th, 2017
- Healthcare Industry May Not Be Prepared For Internet of Things - JD Supra (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Kaspersky Lab Launches Internet Security Campaign in Asia Pacific - Guiding Tech - August 10th, 2017
- Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 - PCMag India - August 6th, 2017
- Mozilla bets its Rust language will make your internet safer - CNET - August 3rd, 2017
- Kaspersky Internet Security 2018 220.127.116.115 - Tech Advisor - August 3rd, 2017
- Top 5 Internet Security Practices to Staying Safe Online - The Merkle - August 1st, 2017
- Every day is Internet Security Day | Opinion | thenewsherald.com - Southgate News Herald - August 1st, 2017
- Security This Week: The Very Best Hacks From Black Hat and Defcon - WIRED - August 1st, 2017
- 'Internet of things' hackers raise cloud of fear - E&E News - August 1st, 2017
- Facebook Donates $1M in New Funds for Internet Security at Black Hat - eWeek - August 1st, 2017
- ARRIS Launches First Gateway with ARRIS Secure Home Internet by McAfee; Exclusively at Best Buy - PR Newswire (press release) - July 12th, 2017
- Bitdefender unveils 2018 edition of Total Security, Internet Security ... - Windows Report - July 12th, 2017
- Women in IT Security: Eight Women to Watch - SC Magazine - July 11th, 2017
- The Internet of Identities (IoI) - CSO Online - July 11th, 2017
- Trump Says He Pressed Putin, While Casting More Doubt On Election Meddling - NPR - July 9th, 2017
- Internet freedom must be protected but also respected - Independent Online - July 9th, 2017
- The internet, security and privacy - TechTarget (blog) - July 7th, 2017