What do you need to know about encryption on your Windows 10 PC? We have you more than covered.
In order to add a layer of protection to the sensitive data on your PC, you might want to encrypt it. Encryption essentially means that you’re turning data into something unreadable without proper authentication.
Encrypting a drive or a folder or a file generally means you have a single password that must be used in order to decrypt and access. Not only does this stop outside parties from hacking their way into your files, it also protects in the event that you forget your PC somewhere or, worst case, it’s stolen.
There are two encryption methods built into Pro, Enterprise, and Education versions of Windows 10. For everyone else, there’s a third way to encrypt your data. Let’s take a look at how all three work to help you choose which encryption method is best for you.
Encrypting File System (EFS) is a file encryption service in Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise, and Education editions. It’s very easy to use, often requiring just a couple of clicks to encrypt a file or folder. When the user who encrypted the files is logged in, the files are accessible. If another user is logged in, the files are inaccessible. For that reason, you want to choose a strong password for the account on your PC.
Compared to BitLocker whole-drive encryption, EFS isn’t quite as secure. Windows itself creates the encryption key, and it is saved locally. The key is also protected with encryption, but it’s not the same level of security you’d find with a Trusted Module Platform (TPM) chip.
Despite the steps taken to protect EFS keys, someone with the time and means could eventually decipher the key. A user might also forget to manually encrypt a sensitive file, further leaving it open to snooping. Finally, since the entire drive is not encrypted, there’s a chance of data leaking into temporary files where it could potentially be accessed.
EFS is best viewed as a quick way to protect files and folders on a PC with multiple users. Not even administrators have access to the encrypted files, and, if your password was changed without your knowledge, your encrypted files would remain encrypted.
BitLocker is another drive encryption feature special to Windows Pro, Enterprise, and Education. While it’s generally recommended that the PC has a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) chip, there is a way you can turn on BitLocker without.
A TPM chip is a special bit of hardware added to your motherboard that is used to hold bits of encryption keys. TPM chips are designed to sniff out unauthorized or tampering users quickly, in which case the chip will not give up the part of the decryption key it’s holding.
Rather than choosing single files and folders for encryption, BitLocker encrypts your entire drive. No matter the user logged in, the drive remains encrypted. Any new files you create will fall under the same layer of protection, so there’s no chance you’ll forget to encrypt a sensitive file. To unlock a drive that’s protected with BitLocker, you can either enter a password or you can set up a USB drive that, when inserted, unlocks the PC.
How to use BitLocker Drive Encryption on Windows 10
Until EFS and BitLocker become available in Windows 10 Home (any time now, Microsoft), there are numerous third-party encryption programs that can fill the void.
These programs differ in what they can protect. Some will encrypt whole drives, just like BitLocker, while others will encrypt files and folders, just like EFS. The best encryption software also usually comes with a bunch of extra features, like file shredders, cloud storage, and password managers.
The best encryption software also lets you set a master password that is only saved where you choose. That means that you can write it down, save it to a USB drive, or keep it in your head. Without the password, your files will remain encrypted forever. Software-based encryption is open to certain attacks, but in most cases, encryption is still better than no encryption.
See the best third-party encryption software
See the article here:
Beginner’s guide to Windows 10 encryption – Windows Central
- Download BestCrypt Volume Encryption 3.78.05 / 4.01.09 Beta - July 26th, 2018
- End-to-end encryption - Wikipedia - July 24th, 2018
- Download Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.4.0 Build 1100 - July 15th, 2018
- HTTPS - Wikipedia - July 10th, 2018
- AES encryption - June 20th, 2018
- Encrypt email messages - Outlook - June 20th, 2018
- Download Sophos Free Encryption 22.214.171.124 - softpedia.com - June 19th, 2018
- Does Skype use encryption? | Skype Support - June 16th, 2018
- Encryption- Computer & Information Security - Information ... - May 25th, 2018
- Enable BitLocker on USB Flash Drives to Protect Data - May 25th, 2018
- Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) - msdn.microsoft.com - April 12th, 2018
- Encryption Software Market - Global Forecast to 2022 - March 24th, 2018
- What AES Encryption Is And How It's Used To Secure File Transfers - March 24th, 2018
- Encryption vs. Cryptography - What is the Difference? - March 24th, 2018
- Energy-efficient encryption for the internet of things | MIT News - February 16th, 2018
- The Best Encryption Software - TopTenReviews - February 16th, 2018
- File-Based Encryption | Android Open Source Project - February 7th, 2018
- Beyond Encryption | Secure Enterprise email using existing ... - February 1st, 2018
- Azure Search enterprise security: Data encryption and user ... - January 26th, 2018
- Skype finally getting end-to-end encryption | Ars Technica - January 13th, 2018
- FBI chief says phone encryption is a 'major public safety issue' - January 13th, 2018
- Encryption and Export Administration Regulations (EAR) - December 27th, 2017
- Key (cryptography) - Wikipedia - December 21st, 2017
- security - Fundamental difference between Hashing and ... - December 15th, 2017
- What Is Encryption? | Surveillance Self-Defense - December 4th, 2017
- Comodo Disk Encryption Download - softpedia.com - December 1st, 2017
- Encryption - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - November 24th, 2017
- BitLocker Drive Encryption Overview - technet.microsoft.com - November 23rd, 2017
- The Encrypting File System - technet.microsoft.com - November 18th, 2017
- FBI cant break the encryption on Texas shooters smartphone - November 13th, 2017
- DOJ: Strong encryption that we dont have access to is ... - November 13th, 2017
- DOJ Fires Up New War With Apple Over Encryption - November 12th, 2017
- Security Awareness - Encryption | Office of Information ... - October 15th, 2017
- Data Encryption and Decryption (Windows) - October 14th, 2017
- Trumps DOJ tries to rebrand weakened encryption as responsible ... - October 11th, 2017
- How to encrypt (almost) anything | PCWorld - September 22nd, 2017
- Private Internet Access | VPN Encryption - September 21st, 2017
- Encryption Substitutes | Privacy | Encryption - September 21st, 2017
- Data Encryption: Hardware & Software Security: Online ... - September 21st, 2017
- How To Enable BitLocker Drive Encryption In Windows 10? - September 21st, 2017
- PGP Encryption Tool - iGolder - September 21st, 2017
- encryption - How to encrypt String in Java - Stack Overflow - September 21st, 2017
- Encryption Software Market, Size, Trends and Forecast 2020 - September 21st, 2017
- Encryption Definition - Tech Terms - September 20th, 2017
- Why You Should Be Encrypting Your Devices and How to Easily Do It - Gizmodo - September 6th, 2017
- Black Hats, White Hats, and Hard Hats The Need for Encryption in Mining and Resources - Australian Mining - September 6th, 2017
- How can enterprises secure encrypted traffic from cloud applications? - TechTarget - September 6th, 2017
- Encryption Explained - Arizona Daily Wildcat - September 6th, 2017
- News in brief: Call to link encryption to ID; Facebook maps everyone ... - Naked Security - September 2nd, 2017
- 'Independent' gov law reviewer wants users preemptively identified before they're 'allowed' to use encryption - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- High-Dimensional Quantum Encryption Performed in Real-World ... - Futurism - September 2nd, 2017
- It's Time to Replace Your Encryption-Key Spreadsheet - Data Center Knowledge - September 2nd, 2017
- Legislation to limit smartphone encryption 'may be necessary,' deputy AG Rosenstein says - Washington Times - August 31st, 2017
- Cloud Encryption Market by Component, Service Model, Organization Size, Vertical And Region - Global Forecast to ... - Markets Insider - August 31st, 2017
- Cipher Suites: Ciphers, Algorithms and Negotiating Security Settings - Hashed Out by The SSL Store (registration) (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Encryption in Office 365 - Office 365 - August 29th, 2017
- Need-to-Know Only: Use Encryption to Make Data Meaningless to ... - Security Intelligence (blog) - August 29th, 2017
- Four strategies to prevent data encryption from hijacking your network - Digital News Asia - August 29th, 2017
- Amber Rudd is wrong - real people do want end-to-end encryption - ITProPortal - August 29th, 2017
- Why encryption is for everyone - IFEX - August 29th, 2017
- 4D quantum encryption successful in first real-world test - New Atlas - New Atlas - August 29th, 2017
- For the First Time Ever, Quantum Communication is Demonstrated in Real-World City Conditions - Futurism - August 26th, 2017
- High-Dimensional Quantum Encryption Takes Place in Real-World ... - Photonics.com - August 26th, 2017
- Hedvig Bakes Encryption into Software-Defined Storage Platform - IT Business Edge (blog) - August 26th, 2017
- Hedvig storage upgrade adds flash tier, encryption options - TechTarget - August 26th, 2017
- How to use EFS encryption to encrypt individual files and folders on Windows 10 - Windows Central - August 26th, 2017
- Cloud Encryption Market Worth 2401.9 Million USD by 2022 - Markets Insider - August 23rd, 2017
- To Protect Genetic Privacy, Encrypt Your DNA - WIRED - August 23rd, 2017
- Data Encryption in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint Online - August 21st, 2017
- Researchers use encryption to keep patients' DNA private - Engadget - August 21st, 2017
- Additional proof that Lancaster County Commissioners should reconsider encrypting police transmissions - LancasterOnline - August 21st, 2017
- iPhone Secure Enclave firmware encryption key leaked - TechTarget - August 21st, 2017
- Encryption, speed push the modern mainframe into the future - TechTarget - August 21st, 2017
- Hardware encryption vs software encryption: the simple guide - Kroll Ontrack UK (press release) (blog) - August 21st, 2017
- Encryption Technology Could Protect the Privacy of Your DNA - Gizmodo - August 21st, 2017
- Encryption key for iPhone 5s Touch ID exposed, opens door to further research - AppleInsider (press release) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- How security pros look at encryption backdoors - Help Net Security - August 18th, 2017
- The Laws of Mathematics and the Laws of Nations: The Encryption Debate Revisited - Lawfare (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- 72 percent of security pros say encryption backdoors won't stop terrorism - BetaNews - August 18th, 2017
- Ex-MI5 Boss Evans: Don't Undermine Encryption - Infosecurity Magazine - August 14th, 2017