Although the technology is relatively new, cryptocurrency is already making waves in multiple industries. In fact, there are some who argue that it will change the face of finance and marketing forever.
Related: From $100 Million to Broke to Betting It All on Cryptocurrencies
Despite its relative infancy, cryptocurrency has already impacted the marketing world pretty significantly, even as experts work to understand the risks and benefits involved. Here are some reasons you should be paying attention to cryptocurrency, as well as some explanations of this groundbreaking technology, to get you started on mastering it.
Before you dive into why cryptocurrency is important for marketing, you need to understand what it is in the first place.
Cryptocurrency is a form of blockchain technology, the technology that bitcoin and other distributed ledger systems are based on. Basically a gigantic ledger of transactions, blockchain is an open and shared database that operates in a decentralized network format. It allows users to transfer and add information to it anonymously, without security compromises.
In other words, cryptocurrency, like Bitcoin, is an anonymous financial system that employs blockchain technology to operate. Instead of using a credit card to pay for an item online, users can use Bitcoin or another form of cryptocurrency. And it’s getting pretty popular — in November 2016, the market capitalization of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies reached $13.8 billion.
Related: 5 Essential Podcasts for Entrepreneurs Serious About Cryptocurrency
It’s important to remember that many uses of cryptocurrency in advertising are still a few years away, as there isn’t much happening in this area yet. However, there’s no harm in being ahead of the trend.
The use of cryptocurrency might make it more difficult for marketers to collect the kind of data on consumers that often informs advertising strategies. In this regard, 86 percent of internet users have tried to remove or decrease their digital footprint online; and cryptocurrency will make this more possible than ever, because it will deplete the amount of consumer data available
Currently, it’s pretty easy to collect huge amounts of information on potential customers to attract leads. This is largely because the platform you use, like Facebook or Google, owns the data and sells it to you. Marketers can use this information to figure out audience segments, test which ads work better than others, predict customer behavior and more.
With cryptocurrency, however, many leads and buyer information will become anonymous, secure and encrypted — making it difficult for marketers to figure out who bought what, and how customers are responding to marketing tactics. Individuals will be in more control over their personal information, which could make it nearly impossible for marketers to gather it and design marketing strategies accordingly.
For these reasons, marketers need to start figuring out new ways to collect information to inform their strategies, if they want to keep up with consumer wants and needs.
One way marketers could navigate the potential lack of consumer data is by paying users directly for their personal information, to be allowed to market to them online, instead of paying the platforms they use.
Since the blockchain technology behind cryptocurrency means that no single entity can own or control networks, users will be in control. Cryptocurrency itself further complicates this picture, as businesses eventually will be unable to tell who bought what product or service. Companies may need to pay users directly for their information and for the opportunity to market to them, instead of platforms like Facebook or Instagram.
For instance, new social media platforms like 21.co and Steem (which has over 30,000 current user accounts and is growing) allows marketers to engage with users for the opportunity to get the purchasing and other personal information about them that would otherwise be unavailable due to cryptocurrency. Businesses have to do the legwork to reach out to users, and the users can then decide if they want to engage.
The tricky part here is that the average customer is going to want more compensation for his or her purchasing and other information than a platform might charge for that same information now. The plus side, however, is that if the customer allows you to access his or her information, that person is more likely to be interested in your brand.
We know that discussions on cryptocurrency involve a lot of hypotheticals, largely because we don’t yet completely understand what it’s going to do to marketing.
Related: 6 Cryptocurrencies You Should Know About (and None of Them Are Bitcoin)
However, although cryptocurrency may not affect your own business marketing model, it’s a strong representation for where digital trends are heading in the next few years. Even if the changes aren’t as dramatic as now believed, it’s a good idea to prepare and explore the potential of cryptocurrency so that you aren’t taken by surprise.
What are some other ways you think cryptocurrency might affect marketing in coming years?
Originally posted here:
Why Marketers Need to Pay Attention to Cryptocurrency — Now – Entrepreneur
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Investopedia - December 6th, 2017
- '$300m in cryptocurrency' accidentally lost forever due to bug ... - November 10th, 2017
- Amazon might want in on cryptocurrency - mashable.com - November 8th, 2017
- What is Cryptocurrency - earnlite.com - October 26th, 2017
- Cryptojacking Lets Strangers Mine Cryptocurrency With Your ... - October 21st, 2017
- Introduction to Cryptocurrency - CryptoCurrency Facts - October 14th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Flash Crash Is Said to Draw Scrutiny From CFTC ... - October 7th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Alternatives to Bitcoin - due.com - October 7th, 2017
- Learn BitCoin and master the world of cryptocurrency - October 7th, 2017
- Almost Every Cryptocurrency Is Tanking Right Now | Time.com - September 7th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency boom stalls as regulators focus on ICOs ... - September 7th, 2017
- Opinion: That Floyd Mayweather-backed cryptocurrency is another sign of a bursting bubble - MarketWatch - September 7th, 2017
- Putin-Backed Political Group Advances 'Green' Cryptocurrency Concept - CoinDesk - September 7th, 2017
- First He Beat Up His Girlfriend, Now He's Selling Cryptocurrency With Paris Hilton - Daily Beast - September 7th, 2017
- Cryptocurrencies have already recovered from last weekend's crash ... - TechCrunch - September 7th, 2017
- Venezuela Cracks Down On Cryptocurrency Mining - CryptoCoinsNews - September 4th, 2017
- Mobius Foresees Cryptocurrency Crackdown Sparking a Rush to Gold - Bloomberg - September 4th, 2017
- The Aggregate Cryptocurrency Market Cap Is Up 810% Year to Date - Motley Fool - September 4th, 2017
- How to make upwards of $1,000 a month by mining cryptocurrency - Mashable - September 2nd, 2017
- Chinese Officials Contemplate Suspending Cryptocurrency ICOs - The Merkle - September 2nd, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Investment Course 2017: Fund your ... - Udemy - September 2nd, 2017
- Six Banking Giants Just Decided to Partner to Create a New Cryptocurrency - Futurism - September 2nd, 2017
- 7 Cryptocurrency Predictions From the Experts - fortune.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Russia Could Pass Cryptocurrency Law This Year, Senior Lawmaker Says - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2017
- AxionV: AI Cryptocurrency Fund Leading the Way in ICO Security - HuffPost - September 2nd, 2017
- PayThink Custom tokens are the future of cryptocurrency - PaymentsSource - September 1st, 2017
- Litecoin Prices Surge Above $70 as Crypto Market Tops $175 Billion - CoinDesk - September 1st, 2017
- Dharma wants to let anyone borrow a small amount of cryptocurrency - TechCrunch - September 1st, 2017
- PR: Archain Is Building an Uncensorable Internet Archive Inside a Cryptocurrency - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Market Just Reached Total Value of $160 Billion - Futurism - August 31st, 2017
- Another banking trojan is trying to loot your cryptocurrency wallets - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Cointal Revolutionizes P2P Cryptocurrency Trading - CryptoCoinsNews - August 31st, 2017
- $160 Billion: Cryptocurrency Market Sets New All-Time High ... - CoinDesk - August 30th, 2017
- Central Banks Can't Ignore the Cryptocurrency Boom - Bloomberg - August 30th, 2017
- Whoppercoin is a cryptocurrency you can eat or trade - The Verge - August 30th, 2017
- Learn about cryptocurrency mining with this interactive blockchain demo - TNW - August 30th, 2017
- Good Morning, Cryptocurrency! Vietnam To Create Legal Framework For Digital Assets - ETHNews - August 26th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency mining may void warranty on Inno3D GPUs - PC Gamer - August 26th, 2017
- Russian Deputy PM Says He Supports a State-Backed Cryptocurrency - CoinDesk - August 25th, 2017
- How to Learn About Cryptocurrency In The Bitcoin Era - Daily Beast - August 25th, 2017
- Bernanke to Give Keynote Speech at October Cryptocurrency Event - Bloomberg - August 25th, 2017
- Estonia wants to launch its own government-backed cryptocurrency called 'estcoin' - CNBC - August 25th, 2017
- Aimwise to Create Standards for Cryptocurrency Crowdsales - newsBTC - August 25th, 2017
- A Mysterious New Cryptocurrency Is Surging After Being ... - August 25th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Cyber Crime Has Cost Victims Millions This Year - Bloomberg - August 25th, 2017
- This European country may hold an ICO and issue its own ... - TechCrunch - August 23rd, 2017
- Bitcoin Skeptic Mark Cuban to Invest in Cryptocurrency ... - August 23rd, 2017
- $150 Billion: Total Cryptocurrency Market Cap Hits New All-Time ... - CoinDesk - August 23rd, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Market cap Sets a New All-time High of Over $150bn - newsBTC - August 23rd, 2017
- South Africa's Central Bank: It's 'Too Risky' to Launch a Cryptocurrency - CoinDesk - August 23rd, 2017
- Mark Cuban backs new $20 million cryptocurrency venture fund - CNBC - August 22nd, 2017
- VR World Decentraland Raises $25.5 Million In Cryptocurrency - UploadVR - August 21st, 2017
- AMD Releases Beta Graphics Driver for Better Cryptocurrency Mining - Bitcoin Magazine - August 21st, 2017
- Philippines Central Bank Grants First Cryptocurrency Exchange Licenses - CoinDesk - August 21st, 2017
- Media A-Listers Back eSports Betting Firm As It Dives Into Cryptocurrencies - Deadline - August 20th, 2017
- 10 Reasons Why Central Banks Will Miss the Cryptocurrency Renaissance - CoinDesk - August 20th, 2017
- Australia Weighs Jail Time for Cryptocurrency Exchange Offenders - CoinDesk - August 20th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency wallet Exodus adds OmiseGo in latest update - CryptoNinjas - August 20th, 2017
- SEC Statements Spur ShapeShift to Review Cryptocurrency Listings - CoinDesk - August 20th, 2017
- Australian money cops gain powers to regulate cryptocurrency - The Register - August 18th, 2017
- Could Cryptocurrencies Replace Cash? - Investopedia - August 18th, 2017
- NVIDIA CEO Believes Cryptocurrencies Have Longevity - Investopedia - August 18th, 2017
- Substratum Launches Substrate Cryptocurrency to Power the New Decentralized Web - The Merkle - August 18th, 2017
- More Evidence that Cryptocurrencies Are a Bubble? - Investopedia - August 16th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Exchange ShapeShift Acquires Bitcoin Wallet Startup - CoinDesk - August 16th, 2017
- Canada Approves First Cryptocurrency Sale in Property Rights Shake-Up - Voice of America - August 16th, 2017
- From UFC To Fighting Fake News With Cryptocurrency - SportTechie - August 16th, 2017
- Will the Bitcoin Fork Continue to Boost the Cryptocurrency's Value? - TheStreet.com - August 16th, 2017
- 'Father of Financial Futures' Seeks Cryptocurrency Hardware Patent - CoinDesk - August 14th, 2017
- How Exactly Do You Get Rich Off The Hot New Cryptocurrency? - Gizmodo Australia - August 14th, 2017
- Ripple Price Forecast: Factors Suggest XRP Cryptocurrency ... - August 13th, 2017
- US Foreign Sanctions Bill Mandates That Governments Monitor Cryptocurrency - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 13th, 2017
- What Would Happen if Cryptocurrency Became More Popular Than Cash? - Futurism - August 13th, 2017
- $126 Billion: The Cryptocurrency Market Just Set a New All-Time High - CoinDesk - August 12th, 2017
- Ukraine's Central Bank Moves Closer to Cryptocurrency Regulation - CoinDesk - August 12th, 2017
- Nvidia shares fall on data center revenue but chips ride cryptocurrency boom - Reuters - August 12th, 2017
- For Cryptocurrencies, the Future is Now - Daily Reckoning - August 11th, 2017
- Nvidia more bullish on cryptocurrency than AMD - MarketWatch - August 11th, 2017
- Coinbase Becomes First Bitcoin 'Unicorn' - Fortune - August 11th, 2017
- Buoyant Bitcoin stirs fears of a crypto-currency bubble bursting - The Independent - August 10th, 2017