Mining cryptocurrency can be a lucrative endeavor with enough computing power
Mining cryptocurrency is in the news a lot lately. People are finding their computers have been compromised by malware and are mining, or in some cases entire botnets are mining. But what does that mean?
This isnt mining in the traditional sense. There are no pick axes or canaries involved. Instead. its more about trying to win a blockchain lottery to earn the reward at the end.
What does that all mean? Lets hash it out.
To begin a discussion of mining cryptocurrency we need to start with what cryptocurrency is. Cryptocurrency is a digital form of currency with a cryptographic underpinning that is used as a secure medium of exchange. There are literally hundreds of different cryptocurrencies with varying real-world values. Many believe its the future of currency.
The most popular cryptocurrency is bitcoin, you may have heard of others like Etherium, too. While cryptocurrencies may differ in terms of the algorithms and encryption they use, they all share one similiarity: blockchain. And thats what we need to talk about next.
Blockchain is a digital ledger of transactions that is impossible to alter. It uses hashing and a concept similar to salting to continuously complete blocks of information that chain to form an immutable ledger.
Hashing is the act of mapping data of any length to a fixed-length output. When cryptography is involved its a one-way function. The most popular hashing algorithm is SHA-256, which outputs at a length of 256 bits. Every hash value is unique. Even the tiniest alteration to the data being hashed caused the entire value to change.
Hashing is considered one-way because of the amount of computing power it would take to reverse-hash it. For a 256-bit output, calculate 2 to the power of 256 (2 X 2 X 2 256 times). Your odds of finding the correct value are 1 in the product of that equation. Those are astronomical odds. It would take a supercomputer thousands of years to compute that.
Now lets fit it all together. With a cryptocurrency blockchain, as transactions occur they are broadcast and added to various private ledgers. Each one of these transactions is digitally signed for the sake of authenticity. On the other end, there are people or groups collecting these transactions and building ledgers. They are also computing to find a value that when hashed along with the ledger, produces a set number of 0s at the beginning of the hash value. Thats the portion thats similar to salting.
So lets say that for our example cryptocurrency, weve set the total to 10 0s. That means the first 10 spots of the 256-character hash value should all be 0s.
When the correct value is found, the block is closed, its broadcast officially and added to everyones blockchain, then the hash of the old block is put atop the new ledger and the process begins again. This is how blocks are created in the chain.
The act of computing the correct value to satisfy the hash function in blockchain is called mining. When it comes to cryptocurrency, a reward is provided to whoever solves for the correct value. That makes it lucrative to compute the correct value, though it takes quite a bit of power to accomplish that.
Oftentimes people pool their computing power together and split the reward if they solve for the correct value. In other cases, hackers have been known to co-opt others computers and use some of their computing power behind the scenes to mine cryptocurrency. There are entire botnets doing nothing but mining.
Really, solving for the correct value is like winning the lotto. There are countless people and botnets attempting to find the value and whoever finds it first gets the reward.
Of course, if you can accumulate enough computing power you could solve for the value enough of the time that you could accrue a substantial amount of cryptocurrency.
When someone says mining cryptocurrency what theyre referring to is the act of trying to compute a specific hash value by producing a set value that, when hashed along with the block ledger, produces a specific result. This requires considerable computing power, but considering the rewards its well worth it.
Heres what we covered in todays discussion:
- Fidelity Said to Offer Cryptocurrency Trading Within a Few ... - May 10th, 2019
- Is This Cryptocurrency The Next Bitcoin? - forbes.com - April 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Bankrate.com - April 26th, 2019
- Samsung is developing its own blockchain network, report claims - April 26th, 2019
- 2019s best cryptocurrency wallets | 70+ compared | finder.com - April 26th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 25th, 2019
- A Beginner's Guide to Cryptocoin Mining: What You Need to ... - April 25th, 2019
- How Cryptocurrency Assets Are Becoming A New Battleground In ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency: Cryptocurrency Explained the Easy Way - April 13th, 2019
- How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK - finance.yahoo.com - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading | TD Ameritrade - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Prices, Charts, and Market Cap Data - UNHASHED - April 8th, 2019
- Blow To Bitcoin As World's Largest Cryptocurrency IPO Is Iced - April 2nd, 2019
- How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin ... - March 22nd, 2019
- Hundreds of Millions in Cryptocurrency Vanishes After ... - March 11th, 2019
- Fidelity's new cryptocurrency company is up and running ... - March 9th, 2019
- JPMorgan is creating its own cryptocurrency - CNN - March 6th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Says It Can't Access $190 Million ... - February 5th, 2019
- What's the Best Cryptocurrency to Invest in Today? - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading Easy tips to get started | AvaTrade - January 9th, 2019
- Thailand Issues 4 Cryptocurrency Licenses, Rejects 2 ... - January 9th, 2019
- NASDAQ, Fidelity Invest in New Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News | Cryptocurrency News | Blockchain ... - January 9th, 2019
- Differences Between Cryptocurrency Coins and Tokens - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Charts - January 8th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - cointelegraph.com - January 4th, 2019
- Blockchain Will Survive A Cryptocurrency Apocalypse - January 1st, 2019
- Cryptocurrency - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 25th, 2018
- Is Cryptocurrency Dead for Good? | Investopedia - December 6th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency scammers dupe Singaporeans out of $78,000 in ... - December 6th, 2018
- Invest in Cryptocurrency With Spare Change - Black Enterprise - November 28th, 2018
- Saudi Arabia Will Launch Its Own Cryptocurrency in 2019 ... - November 23rd, 2018
- Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrency Prices Are Crashing Again ... - November 17th, 2018
- Homepage - Cryptocurrency Army - November 14th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency - Simple English Wikipedia, the free ... - November 14th, 2018
- How To Create Your Own Cryptocurrency - fastcompany.com - November 14th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency price plunge worse than bursting of dotcom ... - September 18th, 2018
- Iran, North Korea and Venezuela turning to cryptocurrency ... - September 12th, 2018
- SEC halts trading in two cryptocurrency products, citing ... - September 12th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News, ICO Reviews & Blockchain Updates ... - September 9th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency "miners," utilities look for ways to get along ... - August 29th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: Virtual money, real power, and the fight ... - August 28th, 2018
- Pornhub Now Accepts PumaPay Cryptocurrency - August 27th, 2018
- NK hackers target Mac users with trojan cryptocurrency app ... - August 27th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: The unlucky investors who got in at the wrong ... - August 26th, 2018
- cryptocurrency coins Archives - The Industry Spread - August 26th, 2018
- cryptocurrency Archives - Page 6 of 6 - The Industry Spread - August 26th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency investment in SMSF - hallandwilcox.com.au - August 26th, 2018
- How To Choose The Best Cryptocurrency Wallet - Crypto News AU - August 26th, 2018
- Courses | Cryptocurrency Australia - August 26th, 2018
- What Every Investor Should Know Before Buying Cryptocurrency ... - August 26th, 2018
- The biggest cryptocurrency hack in the history of blockchain - August 26th, 2018
- After the Bitcoin Boom: Hard Lessons for Cryptocurrency ... - August 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Rankings | CryptoSlate - August 14th, 2018
- Bitcoin price falls after SEC postpones key ETF decision - August 12th, 2018
- Brokers Cryptocurrency Deals Are Focus of SEC Review ... - August 7th, 2018
- 7 Cryptocurrency Predictions for the Rest of 2018 - August 7th, 2018
- Have a Cryptocurrency Company? Bermuda, Malta or Gibraltar ... - July 31st, 2018
- Bitcoin price live: Latest updates as cryptocurrency ... - July 22nd, 2018
- 2018 Bahamas Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Conference - July 16th, 2018
- Best Cryptocurrency Trading Platform 2018 | Top Crypto ... - July 13th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: Advantages And Disadvantages Explained - July 12th, 2018
- ATB Coin - The fastest and most secure payment system - June 19th, 2018
- An Illustrated Glossary of Cryptocurrency Slang (Infographic) - June 19th, 2018
- Apollo All-in-One Cryptocurrency - June 3rd, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News, ICO Database, Coin Rankings and ... - May 25th, 2018
- CoinLib - Cryptocurrency prices now - May 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations | CoinMarketCap - May 4th, 2018
- CryptoCurrency Market , Coin Prices & Charts, Crypto ... - April 28th, 2018
- Nasdaq open to cryptocurrency exchange in future, says CEO - April 27th, 2018
- The 4 Top Cryptocurrency Mining Stocks -- The Motley Fool - April 27th, 2018
- One in five financial institutions consider cryptocurrency ... - April 27th, 2018
- New hacks siphon private cryptocurrency keys from ... - April 27th, 2018
- What Is Cryptocurrency? - dummies - April 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Market Surges to $365 Billion, Start of a ... - April 21st, 2018
- BTCMANAGER | Bitcoin, Blockchain & Cryptocurrency News - April 16th, 2018
- How to keep your cryptocurrency safe - CNET - April 11th, 2018
- How do I report Cryptocurrency Mining income? - TurboTax ... - April 4th, 2018
- When do you report Cryptocurrency investments? - TurboTax ... - April 4th, 2018
- Trading Cryptocurrency in 2018: The Definitive Guide - March 14th, 2018