Bitcoin, which has been rallying over the last few weeks after being trapped in a more than year-long bear market, remains far below its all-time high of near $20,000 per bitcoin as traders and investors wait for major financial institutions and retailers to wade into cryptocurrencies.
The bitcoin price has recently climbed back above the psychological $5,000 per bitcoin mark, adding some 45% so far this year. Some smaller cryptocurrencies have climbed far more with a few, including binance coin, created by the Malta-based bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange Binance, rallying back to all-time highs set in late 2017.
Now, bitcoin and cryptocurrency financial rating agency,Weiss Ratings has suggested binance coin could be the next bitcoin due to it dictating the direction of the market in recent weeks.
Many smaller cryptocurrencies, as well as bitcoin, have climbed in recent months with binance coin adding 300% so far this year.
Bitcoin has historically decided the direction of the cryptocurrency market, with bitcoin’s price moves pushing and pulling smaller cryptocurrencies.
As the cryptocurrency market has matured, however, smaller cryptocurrencies have increasingly found their own direction independent of bitcoin, with binance coin, an ethereum token used to pay fees on Binance, the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange by volume, increasingly leading the market, according to Weiss Ratings.
Binance coin is up by more than 300% this year,gaining the most of thetop 10 cryptocurrencies by market capitalization, CoinMarketCap data shows. The recent launch of Binance Chain earlier this month triggered another binance coin price rally, taking it above its previous all-time high of $24 per token.
Weiss Ratings took to Twitter to suggest binance coin could be the new bitcoin.
Last month, Weiss Ratings gave binance coin an overall rating of B-, putting it in the same class as bitcoin, Ripple’s XRP, and EOS, a rival to ethereum.
The Weiss report gave the world’s biggest cryptocurrencies overall score, most of which were not as good as their combined tech and adoption grades. EOS, bitcoin, Ripple’s XRP, and binance coin all scored a B-, while litecoin, ethereum, cardano, stellar, Neo, and tron were assigned a C+.
“Binance merits a B-, but its grade is currently influenced by a recent surge in its market price, which may not be sustainable,” the report authors warned.
Thereport, tantalizingly entitled Dark Shadows With A Bright Future, also assigned letter grades to cryptocurrencies that have the best combination of adoption and technology, putting EOS at the top of the field, above its long-time rival ethereum and in the same class as bitcoin and Ripple’s XRP.
Weiss Ratings gave binance coin the same overall grade as bitcoin, EOS, and Ripple’s XRP.
Binance coinis currently the seventh biggest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, according to CoinMarketCap data, with a total value of $3.3 billion. This is a far cry from bitcoin’s lofty valuation, which is nudging $100 billion.
Binance coin has been boosted recently by the well-publicized launch of theBinance DEX (Decentralized Exchange) after the company released its testnet for public use in February.
The Binance DEX is expected to be the world’s first widely-used decentralized exchange and is built on Binances own blockchain, Binance Chain. The decentralized exchange will allow users to retain control of their own private keys, something that many cryptocurrency users have long called for so hackers are not able to break into accounts if the centralized exchange database is compromised.
Binance coin has been climbing ahead of the launch of Binance’s decentralized exchange.
Meanwhile, Binance has courted controversy recently with the “de-listing” of bitcoin SV, a fork of bitcoin which split from bitcoin cash last November.
Last week, Binance said it will de-list bitcoin SV, striking it from the exchange as of April 22 as it no longer “meet[s] the high level of standard we expect.”
Ahead of the decision, which was then adopted by other major crypto exchanges, the widely-respected chief executive of Binance, Changpeng Zhao (often known simply as CZ), warned that his exchange could remove bitcoin SV if its biggest proponent, Craig Wright, continues to claim to be bitcoin’s creator, the mysterious Satoshi Nakamoto, and attack those who disagree with him.
Bitcoin SV developers and supporters attacked the decision, accusing Binance and CZ of “market manipulation.”
“This decision will certainly be reported to the Maltese regulators as this is surely a case of people in trusted positions abusing that trust and playing God with which token gets the most volume and market access,” Calvin Ayre, a supporter of Wright and the founder and owner of CoinGeek, a cryptocurrency miner and developer, told theFinancial Timesin response to the de-listing. “In essence, market manipulation.”
“The decision to delist bitcoin SV seems to be based on the fact that they dont like one scientist that works on the platform,” Ayre added. “Craig [Wright] doesnt own [bitcoin SV], nor does anybody, so this appears to be very unprofessional. An exchange should just want volume of trading not picking which horses it wants to win the race and, as a result, smells of fear and manipulation.”
See the original post here:
Is This Cryptocurrency The Next Bitcoin? – forbes.com
- Fidelity Said to Offer Cryptocurrency Trading Within a Few ... - May 10th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Bankrate.com - April 26th, 2019
- Samsung is developing its own blockchain network, report claims - April 26th, 2019
- 2019s best cryptocurrency wallets | 70+ compared | finder.com - April 26th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 25th, 2019
- A Beginner's Guide to Cryptocoin Mining: What You Need to ... - April 25th, 2019
- How Cryptocurrency Assets Are Becoming A New Battleground In ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency: Cryptocurrency Explained the Easy Way - April 13th, 2019
- How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK - finance.yahoo.com - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading | TD Ameritrade - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Prices, Charts, and Market Cap Data - UNHASHED - April 8th, 2019
- Blow To Bitcoin As World's Largest Cryptocurrency IPO Is Iced - April 2nd, 2019
- How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin ... - March 22nd, 2019
- Hundreds of Millions in Cryptocurrency Vanishes After ... - March 11th, 2019
- Fidelity's new cryptocurrency company is up and running ... - March 9th, 2019
- JPMorgan is creating its own cryptocurrency - CNN - March 6th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Says It Can't Access $190 Million ... - February 5th, 2019
- What's the Best Cryptocurrency to Invest in Today? - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading Easy tips to get started | AvaTrade - January 9th, 2019
- Thailand Issues 4 Cryptocurrency Licenses, Rejects 2 ... - January 9th, 2019
- NASDAQ, Fidelity Invest in New Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News | Cryptocurrency News | Blockchain ... - January 9th, 2019
- Differences Between Cryptocurrency Coins and Tokens - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Charts - January 8th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - cointelegraph.com - January 4th, 2019
- Blockchain Will Survive A Cryptocurrency Apocalypse - January 1st, 2019
- Cryptocurrency - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 25th, 2018
- Is Cryptocurrency Dead for Good? | Investopedia - December 6th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency scammers dupe Singaporeans out of $78,000 in ... - December 6th, 2018
- Invest in Cryptocurrency With Spare Change - Black Enterprise - November 28th, 2018
- What is Mining Cryptocurrency? What you need to know... - November 26th, 2018
- Saudi Arabia Will Launch Its Own Cryptocurrency in 2019 ... - November 23rd, 2018
- Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrency Prices Are Crashing Again ... - November 17th, 2018
- Homepage - Cryptocurrency Army - November 14th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency - Simple English Wikipedia, the free ... - November 14th, 2018
- How To Create Your Own Cryptocurrency - fastcompany.com - November 14th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency price plunge worse than bursting of dotcom ... - September 18th, 2018
- Iran, North Korea and Venezuela turning to cryptocurrency ... - September 12th, 2018
- SEC halts trading in two cryptocurrency products, citing ... - September 12th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News, ICO Reviews & Blockchain Updates ... - September 9th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency "miners," utilities look for ways to get along ... - August 29th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: Virtual money, real power, and the fight ... - August 28th, 2018
- Pornhub Now Accepts PumaPay Cryptocurrency - August 27th, 2018
- NK hackers target Mac users with trojan cryptocurrency app ... - August 27th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: The unlucky investors who got in at the wrong ... - August 26th, 2018
- cryptocurrency coins Archives - The Industry Spread - August 26th, 2018
- cryptocurrency Archives - Page 6 of 6 - The Industry Spread - August 26th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency investment in SMSF - hallandwilcox.com.au - August 26th, 2018
- How To Choose The Best Cryptocurrency Wallet - Crypto News AU - August 26th, 2018
- Courses | Cryptocurrency Australia - August 26th, 2018
- What Every Investor Should Know Before Buying Cryptocurrency ... - August 26th, 2018
- The biggest cryptocurrency hack in the history of blockchain - August 26th, 2018
- After the Bitcoin Boom: Hard Lessons for Cryptocurrency ... - August 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Rankings | CryptoSlate - August 14th, 2018
- Bitcoin price falls after SEC postpones key ETF decision - August 12th, 2018
- Brokers Cryptocurrency Deals Are Focus of SEC Review ... - August 7th, 2018
- 7 Cryptocurrency Predictions for the Rest of 2018 - August 7th, 2018
- Have a Cryptocurrency Company? Bermuda, Malta or Gibraltar ... - July 31st, 2018
- Bitcoin price live: Latest updates as cryptocurrency ... - July 22nd, 2018
- 2018 Bahamas Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Conference - July 16th, 2018
- Best Cryptocurrency Trading Platform 2018 | Top Crypto ... - July 13th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: Advantages And Disadvantages Explained - July 12th, 2018
- ATB Coin - The fastest and most secure payment system - June 19th, 2018
- An Illustrated Glossary of Cryptocurrency Slang (Infographic) - June 19th, 2018
- Apollo All-in-One Cryptocurrency - June 3rd, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News, ICO Database, Coin Rankings and ... - May 25th, 2018
- CoinLib - Cryptocurrency prices now - May 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations | CoinMarketCap - May 4th, 2018
- CryptoCurrency Market , Coin Prices & Charts, Crypto ... - April 28th, 2018
- Nasdaq open to cryptocurrency exchange in future, says CEO - April 27th, 2018
- The 4 Top Cryptocurrency Mining Stocks -- The Motley Fool - April 27th, 2018
- One in five financial institutions consider cryptocurrency ... - April 27th, 2018
- New hacks siphon private cryptocurrency keys from ... - April 27th, 2018
- What Is Cryptocurrency? - dummies - April 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Market Surges to $365 Billion, Start of a ... - April 21st, 2018
- BTCMANAGER | Bitcoin, Blockchain & Cryptocurrency News - April 16th, 2018
- How to keep your cryptocurrency safe - CNET - April 11th, 2018
- How do I report Cryptocurrency Mining income? - TurboTax ... - April 4th, 2018
- When do you report Cryptocurrency investments? - TurboTax ... - April 4th, 2018
- Trading Cryptocurrency in 2018: The Definitive Guide - March 14th, 2018