One of the biggest debates in trading is whether or not cryptocurrencies are in a bubble.
A look at history provides guidance in the current debate.
In the late 1990s, when a similar debate was raging over the potential bubble of internet stocks, a business article quoted an elderly couple whod quit their jobs to day trade.
P/Es [price to earnings ratios] dont matter, the wife was quoted as saying. And she was not alone in her view of the market.
During the late 1990s, EBAY traded at P/E ratios of several thousand; AOL traded at the relatively modest P/Es of a few hundred.
Those were the exceptions since most internet stocks were losing money and had no P/E.
P/E ratios measure currentshareprice relative to per-share earnings.
The current P/E ratio of the S&P 500 is approximately 25.
Back in the 90s, when Warren Buffett refused to invest in internet stocks because of the difficulty in valuing them, he was accused of being a dinosaur.
During the dotcom bubble, even the now venerable Amazon was mocked by traders saying, They lose $5 per book but theyll make it up in volume.
While Amazon turned the corner and then some thousands of companies used the same model to extinction.
Bill Gates started Microsoft in 1973; the company went public in 1986, and this was after nearly a decade of increasing profits. At the time, such a trajectory was required before approval to go public was granted.
In the late 1990s, all you needed to go public was a dot com at the end of your name. Barely established companies many less than three years old with little or no revenue, routinely went public.
In 20/20 hindsight its blindingly obvious, but at the time, when traders believe P/Es no longer matter, when companies go public on the strength of their dot coms, and when the advice of a legendary investor is ignored because it challenged the status quo, youre in a bubble.
All of this, mind you, was a matter of public record: P/Es are found right next to the stock price; all public companies provide extensive financial records; and Buffets comments were broadcast widely (but simply ignored by most traders).
The internet was in a bubble; all it took was for someone to be honest with themselves to recognize it.
Starting in 2003, and continuing for the next half decade, property values in most major American urban areas routinely increased 10-20% every six months. This often happened without any new construction in the area. The same property with the same properties around it would increase in value fueled by nothing more than perception.
The more real estate prices increased; the more desperate people became to buy real estate new buyers and those who already owned property.
The whole thing was fueled by irresponsible loans. Business reporters were well aware of liar loans.
Liar loans is a slang term for stated income loans. These were loans granted on the strength of a borrowers stated income without the necessary documents to prove it.
Theres only one reason why someone would state an income without verifying it: it is not their real income.
If nothing more than perception is increasing real estate values by unsustainable amounts, and this is all fueled by fraudulent loans, youre in a bubble.
In the late 1990s, you could hardly go to a party without someone regaling you with tales of the killings theyd made on the latest hot internet stock. In 2003 and beyond, the same could be said of the latest real estate deal. Though I wasnt around at the time, society parties in the roaring 1920s were likely filled with stories of the latest score on the stock market.
In all three cases, internet stocks, real estate, and stocks became a fad or an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived and without basis in the objects qualities.
The best example of this comes from the so-called tulip mania, one of the first recorded speculative bubbles in history. Tulip mania was repeatedly referred to by Gordon Gekko in the 2010 movie Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps.
Suddenly, and without any good reason, in 1636 tulip prices in Europe increased exponentially before crashing spectacularly in 1637.
In the late 1990s, the answer to most concerns about internet stocks was that the internet was so powerful it would change the paradigm. Companies could justify exorbitant P/Es because the internet was going to allow them to grow at multiples wed never seen before; at least thats what the bubble participants kept repeating.
At one time, approximately one hundred automobile makers manufactured cars, most setting up shop in Detroit.
Today, three Chrysler, General Motors and Ford have survived. A few of the others were swallowed up by one of these three, but most faded into the dustbin of history as failed enterprises.
No one would disagree that automobiles and the internet have changed the world in profound ways, but this does not mean that each industry was not susceptible to a bubble.
While the jury is still out on cryptocurrency, it too may very well change the course of human history, but its still susceptible to a bubble.
Read the original post:
cryptocurrency Archives – Page 6 of 6 – The Industry Spread
- What's the Best Cryptocurrency to Invest in Today? - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading Easy tips to get started | AvaTrade - January 9th, 2019
- Thailand Issues 4 Cryptocurrency Licenses, Rejects 2 ... - January 9th, 2019
- NASDAQ, Fidelity Invest in New Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News | Cryptocurrency News | Blockchain ... - January 9th, 2019
- Differences Between Cryptocurrency Coins and Tokens - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Charts - January 8th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - cointelegraph.com - January 4th, 2019
- Blockchain Will Survive A Cryptocurrency Apocalypse - January 1st, 2019
- Cryptocurrency - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - December 25th, 2018
- Is Cryptocurrency Dead for Good? | Investopedia - December 6th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency scammers dupe Singaporeans out of $78,000 in ... - December 6th, 2018
- Invest in Cryptocurrency With Spare Change - Black Enterprise - November 28th, 2018
- What is Mining Cryptocurrency? What you need to know... - November 26th, 2018
- Saudi Arabia Will Launch Its Own Cryptocurrency in 2019 ... - November 23rd, 2018
- Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrency Prices Are Crashing Again ... - November 17th, 2018
- Homepage - Cryptocurrency Army - November 14th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency - Simple English Wikipedia, the free ... - November 14th, 2018
- How To Create Your Own Cryptocurrency - fastcompany.com - November 14th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency price plunge worse than bursting of dotcom ... - September 18th, 2018
- Iran, North Korea and Venezuela turning to cryptocurrency ... - September 12th, 2018
- SEC halts trading in two cryptocurrency products, citing ... - September 12th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News, ICO Reviews & Blockchain Updates ... - September 9th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency "miners," utilities look for ways to get along ... - August 29th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: Virtual money, real power, and the fight ... - August 28th, 2018
- Pornhub Now Accepts PumaPay Cryptocurrency - August 27th, 2018
- NK hackers target Mac users with trojan cryptocurrency app ... - August 27th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: The unlucky investors who got in at the wrong ... - August 26th, 2018
- cryptocurrency coins Archives - The Industry Spread - August 26th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency investment in SMSF - hallandwilcox.com.au - August 26th, 2018
- How To Choose The Best Cryptocurrency Wallet - Crypto News AU - August 26th, 2018
- Courses | Cryptocurrency Australia - August 26th, 2018
- What Every Investor Should Know Before Buying Cryptocurrency ... - August 26th, 2018
- The biggest cryptocurrency hack in the history of blockchain - August 26th, 2018
- After the Bitcoin Boom: Hard Lessons for Cryptocurrency ... - August 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Rankings | CryptoSlate - August 14th, 2018
- Bitcoin price falls after SEC postpones key ETF decision - August 12th, 2018
- Brokers Cryptocurrency Deals Are Focus of SEC Review ... - August 7th, 2018
- 7 Cryptocurrency Predictions for the Rest of 2018 - August 7th, 2018
- Have a Cryptocurrency Company? Bermuda, Malta or Gibraltar ... - July 31st, 2018
- Bitcoin price live: Latest updates as cryptocurrency ... - July 22nd, 2018
- 2018 Bahamas Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Conference - July 16th, 2018
- Best Cryptocurrency Trading Platform 2018 | Top Crypto ... - July 13th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency: Advantages And Disadvantages Explained - July 12th, 2018
- ATB Coin - The fastest and most secure payment system - June 19th, 2018
- An Illustrated Glossary of Cryptocurrency Slang (Infographic) - June 19th, 2018
- Apollo All-in-One Cryptocurrency - June 3rd, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News, ICO Database, Coin Rankings and ... - May 25th, 2018
- CoinLib - Cryptocurrency prices now - May 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations | CoinMarketCap - May 4th, 2018
- CryptoCurrency Market , Coin Prices & Charts, Crypto ... - April 28th, 2018
- Nasdaq open to cryptocurrency exchange in future, says CEO - April 27th, 2018
- The 4 Top Cryptocurrency Mining Stocks -- The Motley Fool - April 27th, 2018
- One in five financial institutions consider cryptocurrency ... - April 27th, 2018
- New hacks siphon private cryptocurrency keys from ... - April 27th, 2018
- What Is Cryptocurrency? - dummies - April 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Market Surges to $365 Billion, Start of a ... - April 21st, 2018
- BTCMANAGER | Bitcoin, Blockchain & Cryptocurrency News - April 16th, 2018
- How to keep your cryptocurrency safe - CNET - April 11th, 2018
- How do I report Cryptocurrency Mining income? - TurboTax ... - April 4th, 2018
- When do you report Cryptocurrency investments? - TurboTax ... - April 4th, 2018
- Trading Cryptocurrency in 2018: The Definitive Guide - March 14th, 2018
- How would one operate a Cryptocurrency Mining Pool and ... - March 13th, 2018
- Coinbase cryptocurrency index fund - Business Insider - March 10th, 2018
- Cryptosomniac | Cryptocurrency Price Tracker - Bitcoin & Eth ... - February 24th, 2018
- Cryptocurrencies News & Prices | Markets Insider - February 22nd, 2018
- I started cryptocurrency mining at the end of 2017 and was ... - February 20th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News - Bitcoin, Ethereum, NEO, ICO startups - February 8th, 2018
- 7 Best Cryptocurrency Exchanges to Buy/Sell Any ... - February 8th, 2018
- Electroneum. The Mobile Cryptocurrency. - February 8th, 2018
- Cryptocurrencies trading | your guide in the world of trading ... - February 5th, 2018
- Robinhood trading app introduces cryptocurrency - money.cnn.com - January 28th, 2018
- Robinhood adds zero-fee cryptocurrency trading and tracking ... - January 28th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Price Prediction, Comparison, Analysis - January 22nd, 2018
- South Korea's major cryptocurrency exchanges ... - reuters.com - January 13th, 2018
- Bitcoin-crazy South Korea may face a ban on cryptocurrency ... - January 13th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency - IC Markets - January 13th, 2018
- Kodak launches cryptocurrency, stock pops 125% - Jan. 9, 2018 - January 10th, 2018
- The cryptocurrency bubble is strangling innovation | TechCrunch - January 9th, 2018
- Coinschedule - The best cryptocurrency ICOs (Initial Coin ... - January 8th, 2018