Cryptocurrency: Advantages & Disadvantages Explained
With the price spike of digital currencies such as Bitcoin in 2017, the space has begun receiving more media attention than it ever has before. Its coverage frequently takes the form of a debate, with advocates citing cryptocurrency as the clear future of money while opponents point out many flaws that have yet to be worked out. The public’s knowledge base in this area is relatively lacking, the fact that both sides use to sway general opinion toward their position.
This article serves as a primer on the arguments for and against crypto. It does not include all information on the topic; instead, it sticks with fundamental concepts to allow the layman to decide for themselves whether to support cryptocurrencies or not.
The most persuasive argument in favor of digital monies is their underlying blockchain technology. The blockchain is a decentralized public ledger displaying every transaction that has ever taken place on a given token’s network. This system enables the tracking of individual coins through every account that they have ever been in, making it very easy to track stolen coins. Backers cite this feature as proof that Bitcoin and similar currencies are hack-proof where traditional banking is not.
Hackers may also have a hard time with the lack of a central hub on which to focus a cyber attack. While the U.S. government and large banking institutions have centralized information ripe for stealing, the blockchain has no equivalent. Every block, or group of transactions on the blockchain, is checked against previous blocks to ensure that they are valid by volunteer miners who use computers to process complicated algebraic equations. With no central authority, the crypto community has total control over the digital money supply, making it a far more democratic financial system.
Digital money offers several practical advantages over more traditional currencies as well. For example, citizens of developing countries may have a hard time locating a currency with any worth in the global marketplace, effectively locking them out of it. A digital currency with universal acceptance would theoretically open the global market to every possible participant, allowing everyone to compete on an even playing field.
Some blockchains, such as the one used by Ethereum, are also programmable. That serves twin purposes: first, it enables developers interested in blockchain technology to work on a common platform with multiple applications. Second, it allows for the development of smart contracts, or electronic contracts capable of fulfilling themselves. These agreements have the potential to revolutionize the way people conduct their global business.
Finally, crypto transactions may involve less money than those reliant on fiat currencies. For instance, a Bitcoin transaction requires only a Satoshi (5,430 millionths of one Bitcoin) to process. Deals using American dollars must be worth at least $0.01, as there is no physical coin for less than that. That opens a broad range of microtransactions that are just impossible to process otherwise.
Most crypto skeptics struggle with the idea that digital currency is worth anything at all. Gold has enjoyed high value since the dawn of history, and government-issued money gets backing from that government. Bitcoin serves no practical purpose in the modern marketplace and has nothing underwriting its value, so it could theoretically become utterly worthless in a day.
Wild price fluctuations often exacerbate these fears. Even in Bitcoin’s banner 2017, there was a two-week stretch in December where it lost 25 percent of its total value. These fluctuations make it challenging for businesses to accept crypto as payment for goods and services, as the effective price can vary dramatically by the hour.
Some cryptos, including Bitcoin, are also too slow to process for everyday commercial use. For example, Bitcoin miners can handle three to seven transactions per second, compared to Visa, which can process more than 24,000 over the same period. The resources required to verify Bitcoin transactions are also cost-prohibitive at times, producing transaction fees of up to USD 25 during peak periods. That renders Bitcoin unsuitable for cheaper transactions even as it touts an ability to go less expensive than traditional monies can.
Many people do not trust the underlying code behind blockchain either. The technology was the brainchild of a person or group calling themselves Satoshi Nakamoto. Their true identity was never made public, leading many to question how much influence they might still hold over the cryptocurrency.
Other scams are also common in the space. So-called crypto experts frequently take advantage of the lack of regulation to buy a lot of a cheap token they then hype up in the media. Their recommendation causes a demand spike that allows the expert to profit handsomely from their investment. Everybody else loses their money as a part of the scheme.
The exchanges that facilitate crypto trades are also unscrupulous at times. For instance, one popular exchange called BitConnect was forced to shut down amid allegations that it was orchestrating a Ponzi scheme rather than offering a legitimate service. Even honest exchanges lack insurance, meaning that a hacker can delete anybody’s virtual assets and leave them with no method to recover their money. That is what happened to an exchange called Mount Gulg in 2014 when someone discovered $473 million worth of Bitcoin siphoned from their customers’ accounts over a period of years.
An unbiased observer is likely to conclude that digital currencies have a lot of future potential, but a lot of problems to overcome before they realize it. It’s up to you whether you think the time is now for cryptocurrencies, or if traditional money systems are safe for the time being.
- 2018 Bahamas Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Conference - July 16th, 2018
- Best Cryptocurrency Trading Platform 2018 | Top Crypto ... - July 13th, 2018
- ATB Coin - The fastest and most secure payment system - June 19th, 2018
- An Illustrated Glossary of Cryptocurrency Slang (Infographic) - June 19th, 2018
- Apollo All-in-One Cryptocurrency - June 3rd, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News, ICO Database, Coin Rankings and ... - May 25th, 2018
- CoinLib - Cryptocurrency prices now - May 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations | CoinMarketCap - May 4th, 2018
- CryptoCurrency Market , Coin Prices & Charts, Crypto ... - April 28th, 2018
- Nasdaq open to cryptocurrency exchange in future, says CEO - April 27th, 2018
- The 4 Top Cryptocurrency Mining Stocks -- The Motley Fool - April 27th, 2018
- One in five financial institutions consider cryptocurrency ... - April 27th, 2018
- New hacks siphon private cryptocurrency keys from ... - April 27th, 2018
- What Is Cryptocurrency? - dummies - April 21st, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Market Surges to $365 Billion, Start of a ... - April 21st, 2018
- BTCMANAGER | Bitcoin, Blockchain & Cryptocurrency News - April 16th, 2018
- How to keep your cryptocurrency safe - CNET - April 11th, 2018
- How do I report Cryptocurrency Mining income? - TurboTax ... - April 4th, 2018
- When do you report Cryptocurrency investments? - TurboTax ... - April 4th, 2018
- Trading Cryptocurrency in 2018: The Definitive Guide - March 14th, 2018
- How would one operate a Cryptocurrency Mining Pool and ... - March 13th, 2018
- Coinbase cryptocurrency index fund - Business Insider - March 10th, 2018
- Cryptosomniac | Cryptocurrency Price Tracker - Bitcoin & Eth ... - February 24th, 2018
- Cryptocurrencies News & Prices | Markets Insider - February 22nd, 2018
- I started cryptocurrency mining at the end of 2017 and was ... - February 20th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency News - Bitcoin, Ethereum, NEO, ICO startups - February 8th, 2018
- 7 Best Cryptocurrency Exchanges to Buy/Sell Any ... - February 8th, 2018
- Electroneum. The Mobile Cryptocurrency. - February 8th, 2018
- Cryptocurrencies trading | your guide in the world of trading ... - February 5th, 2018
- Robinhood trading app introduces cryptocurrency - money.cnn.com - January 28th, 2018
- Robinhood adds zero-fee cryptocurrency trading and tracking ... - January 28th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency Price Prediction, Comparison, Analysis - January 22nd, 2018
- South Korea's major cryptocurrency exchanges ... - reuters.com - January 13th, 2018
- Bitcoin-crazy South Korea may face a ban on cryptocurrency ... - January 13th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency - IC Markets - January 13th, 2018
- Kodak launches cryptocurrency, stock pops 125% - Jan. 9, 2018 - January 10th, 2018
- The cryptocurrency bubble is strangling innovation | TechCrunch - January 9th, 2018
- Coinschedule - The best cryptocurrency ICOs (Initial Coin ... - January 8th, 2018
- CCN: Bitcoin, Ethereum, ICO, Blockchain & Cryptocurrency News - January 7th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency boom: Why everyone is talking about ripple - January 4th, 2018
- Cryptocurrency stocks holding gains despite bitcoin pullback ... - December 29th, 2017
- MobileCoin: A New Cryptocurrency From Signal Creator Moxie ... - December 16th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Investopedia - December 6th, 2017
- '$300m in cryptocurrency' accidentally lost forever due to bug ... - November 10th, 2017
- Amazon might want in on cryptocurrency - mashable.com - November 8th, 2017
- What is Cryptocurrency - earnlite.com - October 26th, 2017
- Cryptojacking Lets Strangers Mine Cryptocurrency With Your ... - October 21st, 2017
- Introduction to Cryptocurrency - CryptoCurrency Facts - October 14th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Flash Crash Is Said to Draw Scrutiny From CFTC ... - October 7th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Alternatives to Bitcoin - due.com - October 7th, 2017
- Learn BitCoin and master the world of cryptocurrency - October 7th, 2017
- Almost Every Cryptocurrency Is Tanking Right Now | Time.com - September 7th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency boom stalls as regulators focus on ICOs ... - September 7th, 2017
- Why Marketers Need to Pay Attention to Cryptocurrency -- Now - Entrepreneur - September 7th, 2017
- Opinion: That Floyd Mayweather-backed cryptocurrency is another sign of a bursting bubble - MarketWatch - September 7th, 2017
- Putin-Backed Political Group Advances 'Green' Cryptocurrency Concept - CoinDesk - September 7th, 2017
- First He Beat Up His Girlfriend, Now He's Selling Cryptocurrency With Paris Hilton - Daily Beast - September 7th, 2017
- Cryptocurrencies have already recovered from last weekend's crash ... - TechCrunch - September 7th, 2017
- Venezuela Cracks Down On Cryptocurrency Mining - CryptoCoinsNews - September 4th, 2017
- Mobius Foresees Cryptocurrency Crackdown Sparking a Rush to Gold - Bloomberg - September 4th, 2017
- The Aggregate Cryptocurrency Market Cap Is Up 810% Year to Date - Motley Fool - September 4th, 2017
- How to make upwards of $1,000 a month by mining cryptocurrency - Mashable - September 2nd, 2017
- Chinese Officials Contemplate Suspending Cryptocurrency ICOs - The Merkle - September 2nd, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Investment Course 2017: Fund your ... - Udemy - September 2nd, 2017
- Six Banking Giants Just Decided to Partner to Create a New Cryptocurrency - Futurism - September 2nd, 2017
- 7 Cryptocurrency Predictions From the Experts - fortune.com - September 2nd, 2017
- Russia Could Pass Cryptocurrency Law This Year, Senior Lawmaker Says - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2017
- AxionV: AI Cryptocurrency Fund Leading the Way in ICO Security - HuffPost - September 2nd, 2017
- PayThink Custom tokens are the future of cryptocurrency - PaymentsSource - September 1st, 2017
- Litecoin Prices Surge Above $70 as Crypto Market Tops $175 Billion - CoinDesk - September 1st, 2017
- Dharma wants to let anyone borrow a small amount of cryptocurrency - TechCrunch - September 1st, 2017
- PR: Archain Is Building an Uncensorable Internet Archive Inside a Cryptocurrency - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 31st, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Market Just Reached Total Value of $160 Billion - Futurism - August 31st, 2017
- Another banking trojan is trying to loot your cryptocurrency wallets - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Cointal Revolutionizes P2P Cryptocurrency Trading - CryptoCoinsNews - August 31st, 2017
- $160 Billion: Cryptocurrency Market Sets New All-Time High ... - CoinDesk - August 30th, 2017
- Central Banks Can't Ignore the Cryptocurrency Boom - Bloomberg - August 30th, 2017
- Whoppercoin is a cryptocurrency you can eat or trade - The Verge - August 30th, 2017
- Learn about cryptocurrency mining with this interactive blockchain demo - TNW - August 30th, 2017
- Good Morning, Cryptocurrency! Vietnam To Create Legal Framework For Digital Assets - ETHNews - August 26th, 2017