Web-hosting company Dreamhost is trying to raise $10,000 to help cover its legal costs in an ongoing fight with the U.S. Department of Justice by using crowd funding site Crowdjustice. Pledges are about a third of the way there as of Aug. 21.
The fight stems from a demand by the DoJ that Dreamhost turn over about 1.3 million visitor records–including IP addresses, full contact information, emails, photos and even server logs–as they pertain to Disruptj20.org, a site that planned to hold protests and otherwise cause disruptions during the inauguration of Donald Trump as president of the U.S.
Protests on Inauguration Day turned violent, and about 200 people eventually were indicted for rioting. The Justice Department began requesting records for users suspected of being involved in the rioting, and initially Dreamhost complied with the requests for information. However, the DoJ issued far broader demands in a search warrant on July 12, 2017, that demanded all records including all files, databases and database records stored by Dreamhost as they relate to the Disruptj20 site.
DoJ Demands Detailed Information on Content of Email
Dreamhost has declined to provide the information demanded by the DoJ, saying that the warrant is overly broad and as a result violates the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which forbids unreasonable search and seizure. Dreamhost is also saying that the demands may also violate the First Amendment because of the chilling effect they may have on free speech as regard to political protest.
Supporting Dreamhost in its legal battle are TechFreedom, a non-partisan technology policy think tank, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation, a privacy advocacy group. Both groups say that the Justice Department demands are far too broad and are specifically forbidden by the Fourth Amendment.
The founders outlawed general warrants precisely to prevent governments from harassing their political opponents en masse, said Berin Szka, president of TechFreedom, in a statement on the organizations website. If the DOJ can unmask over a million internet users simply for visiting a website, without any further alleged connection to criminal activity, then no American is safe to use the internet to access dissident speech. The fear of being unmaskedand be subjected to harassment, or far worsewill chill the speech of millions more.
EFF: DoJ Making Unconstitutional Demands
Mark Rumold, a senior staff attorney at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, said that the Justice Department is making an unconstitutional demand in its investigations of the January riots. He said that such a warrant would bring anyone who ever visited the site into the investigation, regardless of why they were there or whether they had any part in the attempt to disrupt the inauguration.
No plausible explanation exists for a search warrant of this breadth, other than to cast a digital dragnet as broadly as possible, Rumold said in a statement on the EFF website. But the Fourth Amendment was designed to prohibit fishing expeditions like this. Those concerns are especially relevant here, where DOJ is investigating a website that served as a hub for the planning and exercise of First Amendment-protected activities.
Yet, its not clear that the federal courts will agree. For years, investigators have used a two-stage process for investigating digital crimes. Those two stages are first, seizing all computer equipment suspected of having information needed by investigators; the second stage is performing a forensics search of the seized computers. Courts have routinely upheld such searches, because theres no good way to find the data needed except by getting it from the storage on the computer.
The procedure there is to hold on to the computer for as long as it takes to get the evidence, even if it takes months. The difference with Dreamhost is that the DoJ isnt asking for the computers and storage, but rather asking the company to get the information itself and pass it along to the government.
Dreamhost Not Suspected of Wrongdoing, Just Hosting
The difference is primarily one of procedure, and it has the advantage to Dreamhost of not having its servers and storage physically removed from its control. But the question then becomes whether theres a difference from the government taking the equipment or asking Dreamhost to keep the equipment and provide the data.
The other difference in this is Dreamhost isnt suspected of any wrongdoing, but rather of hosting a group thats suspected of doing wrong. Its like the owner of an apartment building being required to allow a warrant to be served on a single apartment, rather than searching the entire building. Here, Dreamhost is being asked for the contents of a single customer website, not for the contents of all sites that Dreamhost has.
Those differences may be subtle, but they could make all the difference when the Dreamhost case goes before the judge in Washington on Aug. 24. Whether Dreamhosts arguments are compelling remains to be seen.
Its also not clear whether the crowd-funding effort will raise enough money to support the appeals that are the almost certainly the next step.
Go here to see the original:
Dreamhost Crowd-Funding Legal Action Against DOJ – eWeek
- How to Crowdfund (with Pictures) - wikiHow - June 7th, 2018
- Property Crowd Funding - The Magic of Modern Day Investing - HuffPost - September 4th, 2017
- Getting Crowdfunding Fundamentals Down to A Science In Advance Of Campaign Key To Success - HuffPost - August 28th, 2017
- Buy a share in a brewery: Pozible launches equity crowd-funding site Birchal - The Sydney Morning Herald - August 1st, 2017
- Woman who contracted E.Coli returns home from Turkey after crowd funding appeal - Glasgow Live - July 9th, 2017
- Africa's first impact-focused equity crowd funding portal founder ... - CNBCAfrica.com - July 5th, 2017
- Crowd funding campaign to save a two-year-old kid - Times of India - July 2nd, 2017
- Arrowtown musician Holly Arrowsmith crowd funding new album - The Southland Times - June 26th, 2017
- Ex-Googler Lina Gantar launches crowd funding agency in Manchester - Manchester Evening News - June 25th, 2017
- Crowd funding could be used to buy the long-vacant Bell Building downtown - Wyoming Tribune - June 24th, 2017
- Wyo. Sec of State unveils new crowdfunding platform - Wyoming Business Report - June 16th, 2017
- Wyo. Sect'y of State unveils new crowdfunding platform - Wyoming Business Report - June 14th, 2017
- Where is the crowd-funding for the destitute? - News24 - June 9th, 2017
- Florida education news: #HB7069, teacher diversity, crowd funding and more - Tampabay.com (blog) - June 5th, 2017
- BBB Has Advice Before You Contribute To A Crowd Funding Site - Newstalkkgvo - June 2nd, 2017
- Catapooolt all set to Catapult Crowdfunding in India with an Asian Record - Bizztor (press release) (blog) - May 19th, 2017
- Should you invest in Bitcoins, crowd funding, P2P lending? - Economic Times - May 15th, 2017
- Cork Foundation's Live Crowd Funding event - The Avondhu Press (press release) - May 6th, 2017
- Will crowdfunding get a synthetic biology win? - PLoS Blogs (blog) - May 3rd, 2017
- Impact Guru, GlobalGiving tie-up to scale crowd funding in India - Daily News & Analysis - May 2nd, 2017
- Plastc Card Is Cancelled: The Dangers Of Crowd Funding Tech - Forbes - April 29th, 2017
- Can crowd funding help scale up solar power for Africa's poor? - The Standard (press release) - April 25th, 2017
- Donate safely: Avoiding crowd funding scams - KXLY Spokane - April 20th, 2017
- Maharashtra schools raise Rs 216 crore via crowd funding - The Indian Express - April 18th, 2017
- Crowdfunding: affordable bee surveillance for hive health - Scoop.co.nz (press release) - March 29th, 2017
- Crowd funding: SECP warns of false scheme - The Express Tribune - March 28th, 2017
- Arsenal fan plots sensational crowdfunding campaign to BUY the club from owner Stan Kroenke - The Sun - March 23rd, 2017
- How to make crowdfunding work for you - Buffalo Business First - February 13th, 2017
- Crowd funding | ASIC's MoneySmart - September 17th, 2016
- Crowd Funding - October 23rd, 2015
- Crowdfunding - P2P Foundation - October 23rd, 2015
- Comparison of crowdfunding services - Wikipedia, the free ... - September 5th, 2015
- Fundraising Script,Crowd Funding Script,Crowdfunding ... - August 14th, 2015
- The Life Chest: Crowd Funding Video - Video - May 5th, 2015
- THIS TOKYO #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS LOVE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS PSYCHIC #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS SUPER #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS ROADHOUSE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS BEYOND #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS HEARTBREAKER #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS WWW #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS GENUINE #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- True Colours Crowd funding Campaign - Video - May 4th, 2015
- THIS NEW YORK 2015 #FASHION BRAND GIFT CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES SURPRISE! #THIStm - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Armitage Dinosaur - crowd-funding video - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Who benefits from crowd funding? - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- The Man Who Found His Freedom - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- Crowd Funding proof V1 - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- TEN FOOT TONE - New CD - TASTE GOOD - Video - May 3rd, 2015
- One Spark/Tamarin Fruits - Video - May 1st, 2015
- Crowd Funding Video- BROKEN ROAD (Short Film) - Video - April 30th, 2015
- Crowd Funding video San Jose Bike Clinic - Video - April 28th, 2015
- Domestic Violence & Abuse Help Break the Cycle - Seed the Books Crowd Funding Campaign - Video - April 28th, 2015
- LEARN IT | BUILD IT | MANAGE IT: FINANCING - Crowd Funding - Video - April 27th, 2015
- Crowd Funding- Habitat for Humanity Charity Trip to Cebu in June 2015 - Video - April 27th, 2015
- Annalakshmi on the swan Crowd funding 14 04 15 WM - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Beat Buddy Inside Story - Video - April 26th, 2015
- Engineers Corset Crowd Funding Video - Video - April 26th, 2015
- "Welcome to the Shop" -HPER Team Crowd Funding Campaign - Video - April 24th, 2015
- Toms Crowd Funding 32 SD 480p Copy - Video - April 24th, 2015
- Blake Lodge Centre, Plymouth Deaf Association - Crowd Funding - Video - April 24th, 2015
- Copy of Heart Vs. Head Crowd Funding Campaign-Final Request - Video - April 24th, 2015
- April 2015: Help Wall St for Main St Crowd Fund! - Video - April 24th, 2015
- Climate for Change Crowd funding video - Video - April 24th, 2015
- Sacred Foundations, Inc. Crowd Funding Intro - Video - April 23rd, 2015
- Specialty Beer - Video - April 23rd, 2015
- Crowd Funding Take 4 18 15 - Video - April 23rd, 2015
- Baby Got Wings / I Like Big Bugs - Video - April 23rd, 2015
- Evolution of Color in Australian Frogs Crowd Funding - Video - April 23rd, 2015
- Creative Lab Curaao over crowd funding actie Revive Gomezplein - Video - April 23rd, 2015
- My TubeStart update! - Video - April 23rd, 2015
- Alphaworks Equity Crowd Funding Platform Rebrands To Quire - Video - April 23rd, 2015
- Community Crowd Funding - Video - April 21st, 2015
- TOP Foundation Crowd Funding Video - Video - April 21st, 2015
- HIR 3 - crowd funding campaign on TravelStarter - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Get us to the World body painting festival - Video - April 21st, 2015
- BluSticks Crowd Funding Video (ENT 4113 - Group 6) - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Skin4Nino crowdfunding - Video - April 21st, 2015
- Sacred Foundations, Inc. Crowd Funding Video - Video - April 21st, 2015