These days, everyone who is anyone in data storage appears to be partnering with one or more of the big three of the cloud Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Microsoft Azure. Of late, Azure seems to be in the ascendancy. The likes of DataCore, Panzura, Nasuni, Zadara, Veritas, Caringo, Datapipe and many others have announced deals with Azure to harness its cloud platform as part of their storage offerings.
Storage and data protection vendors need to have a point of presence in and with the cloud providers, such as Azure, for their customers, said Greg Schulz, an analyst with StorageIO Group. If vendors dont add support on and for those cloud platforms, somebody else will do it and their customers or prospects may look elsewhere.
Another way to look at it is that cloud platforms such as Azure are another tier of storage. But more than that, their underlying compute platforms have local cloud instance of storage backed by elastic block, file and object storage. Storage vendors can deploy their own storage software on this foundation. This gives users options and flexibility regarding where and how they want their storage software deployed.
Azure continues to expand including with the new Azure Stack which enables hybrid deployments, said Schulz.
Some data storage vendors simply connect to cloud service providers via Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) or a gateway. Others port their storage software to run on a cloud instance (VM) or emerging Virtual Private Servers (VPS) and Dedicated Private Servers (DPS). In this latter case, instead of the storage vendors functionality running on a local hardware appliance, VM or container, it runs in the cloud, using a mix of instances and persistent cloud storage, said Schulz. The advantage, he added, is that when vendor software is running on Azure or another cloud instance, its technology is now in the cloud and using cloud resources.
Examples include Caringo Swarm on Microsoft Azure, which brings file storage into the cloud using Azures worldwide network of managed data centers. The Zadara Storage Cloud delivers block, file and object storage for applications leveraging Azure. By leveraging a Zadara VPSA storage array on Azure, you can migrate applications such as SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint and others to Microsoft Azure without having to reconfigure them. Similarly, Box and Microsoft are working together on Box cloud content management using Azure services. They are exploring ways to integrate artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities and add Azure regions outside the U.S. to Box Zones for in-region storage on Azure.
Nasuni is another company with a strong Microsoft Azure relationship. Microsoft has a massive base of enterprise customers who, in many cases, already have Azure subscriptions, said Warren Mead, vice president, alliances and business development, Nasuni. They are looking for ways to increase their use of Azure as a means of achieving digital transformation, and Azure object storage is a natural first or second foray into the cloud, especially given every enterprise is dealing with storage growth pains.
Thats why he said it makes good business sense for storage software companies like Nasuni to partner with Microsoft. This provides an opportunity to help users transition from legacy, device-constrained NAS and SAN infrastructure to a scalable, Azure-based storage infrastructure. Mead believes cloud object storage is the new disk, as it provides limitless capacity, high availability and geo-redundancy with cloud economics.
How does Nasuni add value? Without a file system, object stores are merely containers, and it is difficult for enterprises to tap their potential for file sharing and collaboration. Nasuni has developed a global file system that lives in and scales with the cloud. Nasuni enterprise file services, powered by the Nasuni UniFS global file system, leverages Azure object storage to provide primary NAS and archive capacity, backup/recovery, disaster recovery (DR) and global file access in one hybrid cloud. By storing all metadata and files in Azure first and using on-premises caching appliances to provide fast, secure access only to the active data, it is said to offer unlimited capacity on demand, pay-as-you-grow flexibility, rapid recovery points and recovery times, DR anywhere you have power and bandwidth, file access through any device, file collaboration without version conflict and centralized management.
DataCore, too, has made its DataCore Cloud Replication software available in the Microsoft Azure Marketplace to support DR efforts. Those with on-premises DataCore deployments can use the Azure cloud as an added replication location to safeguard high availability systems.
For DataCore users seeking hybrid cloud storage, Azure offers a convenient and economically attractive way quickly to roll out and scale a secure remote replication site to safeguard and archive their data; especially when compared to setting up and maintaining a dedicated remote location at a branch office or data center for just this purpose, said Augie Gonzalez, director of product marketing, DataCore Software.
DataCore software replicates data from on-premises virtual storage pools to a remote pool in Azure cloud storage. The asynchronous remote copy travels over standard Internet links protected by a virtual private network (VPN). The on-premises configuration consists of either a software-defined storage infrastructure controlled by DataCore SANsymphony or DataCore Hyper-converged Virtual SAN. They communicate with other instances of DataCore software executing in Azure. Should the on-premises site suffer a major outage or have no space to keep a long-term archive, the copy stored in Azure may be accessed from anywhere.
Managed service providers (MSPs) are also leaping on the bandwagon. Datapipe, for example, has added Azure cloud storage into its portfolio. The company utilizes local disk storage all the way up to its own cloud storage solution.
Being able to include products like StorSimple for Azure allows our clients to keep investments they already have in one of our storage solutions and expand into Azure, said Tim Campbell, product manager, at Datapipe. Start with an easy project like server backup to Azure storage as a way to get backups off site in a cost-efficient manner and gain familiarity with cloud storage technologies.
Speaking of backup, Veritas and Microsoft have inked a multi-year partnership to link Azure (cloud storage, compute, analytics and machine learning) with new management and governance capabilities from Veritas. This includes collaboration to sell hybrid cloud storage jointly to mutual customers.
As part of the partnership, Veritas NetBackup 8.0 now supports storage tiering to Azure. This is said to improve data lifecycle management by optimizing the movement of data to Azure cloud storage. This reduces or eliminates the need to deploy additional storage with a separate point product. For small and midsized businesses, Veritas Backup Exec 16 supports the movement of backup data to Azure. Veritas is also leveraging Azure to drive greater efficiencies for its own workloads. The company has selected Azure as the cloud backend on which to run its Enterprise Vault.cloud service, which provides policy-based information retention to streamline eDiscovery and helps Office 365 subscribers to find archived information quickly.
Enterprises are increasingly looking to Microsoft to help power their digital transformation as they adopt Azure cloud services and Office 365, said Chris Mancebo, global strategic alliances, Veritas. Such hybrid cloud storage scenarios will enable customers to take advantage of the cloud (or multiple clouds) to reduce their storage costs while increasing business agility, and to extract greater value from their data.
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- There's a lot more to the Cloud than storage these days and competition is getting crowded - Financial Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017
- Whatchu doin' Upthere? Western Digital moves on cloud storage space - The Register - August 30th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan | 08/29/17 ... - Markets Insider - August 30th, 2017
- Nearly 300 years worth of porn was recorded to test Amazon's ... - Neowin - August 30th, 2017
- Western Digital (WDC) Acquires Cloud-Storage Startup Upthere - Nasdaq - August 29th, 2017
- Faction Partners with CoreSite to Launch Multi-Cloud Storage and ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- A Man Backing Up Millions Of GB Of Porn May Have Ended ... - Indiatimes.com - August 29th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan - PR Newswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Person tests Amazon's "unlimited" cloud storage by uploading 1.8 petabytes of porn - Boing Boing - August 27th, 2017
- Hedvig Advances Private, Hybrid and Multi-cloud Storage with New Integrations, Security, and All-flash Capabilities - insideBIGDATA - August 27th, 2017
- Microsoft Unveils Cost-Cutting Archival Cloud Storage Option - eWeek - August 25th, 2017
- A Redditor Archived Nearly 2 Million Gigabytes of Porn to Test Amazon's 'Unlimited' Cloud Storage - Motherboard - August 25th, 2017
- Back up everything with lifetime 2TB cloud storage for under $50 - Popular Science - August 25th, 2017
- Google Cloud: How to Reduce Data Storage Costs and Maximize Performance - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Enterprises Encounter Cloud Storage Cost and Management Challenges - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Cisco Validates SwiftStack's hybrid cloud storage software - Read IT Quik - August 23rd, 2017
- Another Free Data Backup Option Bites The Dust - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Apollo Cloud 2 Duo offers personal cloud storage with no monthly fees - Techaeris - August 22nd, 2017
- pCloud first cloud storage provider to offer lifetime plan - PRUnderground (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Top 5 tips for doing a cloud storage cost analysis - Information Age - August 21st, 2017
- How offsite solutions can complement NAS setups - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- BBB Tip of the Week: What to look for in cloud storage - The Spokesman-Review - August 20th, 2017
- Get 2 TB of Cloud Storage from Zoolz for Life for Just $50 - The Escapist - August 20th, 2017
- Optimize a public cloud storage service with these performance tips - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- XenData Launches Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance Optimized for Media Files - Broadcasting & Cable - August 16th, 2017
- Lima Ultra: Tiny, personal cloud storage which just misses the mark - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Secure 2TBs of cloud storage space for life for under $50 - TNW - August 16th, 2017
- Results: do you pay for extra cloud storage? How much do you need? - Phone Arena - August 16th, 2017
- XenData Debuts CX-10 Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance - TV Technology - August 16th, 2017
- Datrium Splits Provisioning to Boost Private Cloud Storage - SDxCentral - August 16th, 2017
- Migrating from server to cloud storage - THE BUSINESS TIMES - August 16th, 2017
- Film maker shuns cloud storage for Spectra Logic tape - ComputerWeekly.com - August 14th, 2017
- NetApp Has Better Storage Trends than Pure, Says Maxim - Barron's - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Backup vs Local Backup Which Option Should I Choose To Protect My Data? - Fossbytes - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Works Better With Cloud Secure! - MustTech News - August 13th, 2017
- UPDATE -- Maxwell Health Reduces Cloud Storage Costs and Reduces Recovery Times with Datos IO RecoverX for ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cloud Storage: Mature Saturation or Early Adopter Phase? | Hacked ... - Hacked - August 10th, 2017
- How To Have Cloud Storage and Backup For Life For Less - Daily Beast - August 10th, 2017
- Wasabi Technologies takes on Amazon S3 on price, performance - TechTarget - August 8th, 2017
- Here's one good reason to not rely on cloud storage - Business Insider Australia - August 6th, 2017
- Veritas Technologies Named a Leader in the 2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery ... - Markets Insider - August 6th, 2017
- Microsoft wants your cloud storage to sleep with the fishes, literally - Digital Trends - August 5th, 2017
- MEGA Privacy brings 50GB of free cloud storage space to Windows 10 - Windows Report - August 5th, 2017
- Team sets new record for magnetic tape storagemakes tape competitive for cloud storage - Phys.Org - August 3rd, 2017
- Attala Systems Announces Its High Performance Composable Storage Infrastructure Technology for Cloud and Analytics - PR Newswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- Hybrid cloud technology gets the most out of primary storage workloads - TechTarget - August 2nd, 2017
- IBM and Sony breakthrough on tape storage density could lower cold storage costs again - GeekWire - August 2nd, 2017
- Mega's beta cloud storage app for Windows 10 now open to ... - Windows Central - August 1st, 2017
- Startup Morro Data launches CloudNAS services for SMBs - TechTarget - August 1st, 2017
- Morro Data Announces CloudNAS | StorageReview.com - Storage ... - StorageReview.com - August 1st, 2017
- IBM deprecates its first cloud storage platform - www.computing.co.uk - July 31st, 2017
- Senate Resurrects Cloud Storage Protections Bill | Broadcasting ... - Broadcasting & Cable - July 31st, 2017