If you like being up to date with recent technology, you may have probably wondered what is cloud storage and what can it be used for? There is no easy way to describe this promising technology, as the definition constantly changes like the softwares profile.
In laymans terms, we could define cloud storage as a computing model where all the data is stored on secure or remote servers rather than on hard drives. The so-called cloud is actually an ensemble of servers that serve as hosts for the information they receive from all over the world.
In this article on what is cloud storage, we will attempt to address some of the most common questions regarding cloud storage.
Unlike traditional storage devices like hard drives or CDs, where information is stored in a physical format, all the data in the cloud is stored virtually on servers. Furthermore, you can access everything that is on the cloud from any computer thathas an internet connection.
The first major difference between cloud storage and traditional storage means is accessibility. While hard disks offer local access to information, cloud storage offers unlimited access to data, if the users can provide the necessary passkeys and if the computer has internetaccess.
Working with a cloud storage service has many advantages, as well as disadvantages. Probably the most obvious advantage that pops into mind is that you wont need to clutter up your hard drive with useless information. Furthermore, cloud storage services usually employ advanced information compression functions, which means greater indexing capability.
This, in turn, translates to faster search speeds. However, using a cloud storage service is not without disadvantages. Being a hosting entity, the cloud relies heavily on Internet connection speed.So, how does cloud storage work?
What Is Cloud Storage?
Cloud computing is an on-demand computing model which relies on a stable Internet connection to share and access data across multiple devices such as computers or smartphones.
If we took a step back to see the bigger picture, cloud computing allows users to access all the information stored in a third-party data center. This is achieved using minimal resources and minimal supervision.
Historically speaking, cloud computing, as a functional computer model, isnt that new. In fact, the so-called cloud goes all the way back to the 70s and 80s, when ARPANET and CNET, the predecessors of the modern Internet were already hinting at what cloud storage was going to become.
Best Cloud Storage Providers
Now, the most popular cloud storage services are arguably Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive. Each offers similar, but slightly different services, which makes it hard to assess which is the best cloud service. Dropbox offers 2GB free cloud storage, while OneDrive offers 5GB cloud storage for free in their Basic Plan. Google Drives cloud storage free plan offers 15GB. We reviewed the best cloud storage providers, so you can take a look at our assessments below:
The best cloud storage free plans are offered by MEGA (50 GB free cloud storage), pCloud (10 GB of free online storage), and MediaFire (10 GB cloud storage free). We reviewed all 3 providers, so you can find out more about their services from our reviews:
Other good free cloud storage providers areGoogle Drive (15GB for free), Box, (10GB free cloud storage), OneDrive (5GB free cloud storage), Amazon Drive (5GB and unlimited photos with Prime).
There are also other services which are very similar to cloud computing models:
Types of Cloud Storage
Now that weve briefly talked about what is cloud storage, lets take a closer look at the classification of cloud storage service. As the need for cloud-based solutions increased, so has the nature of the service become more complex.
Presently, we can discuss four major types of cloud storage services: private, public, hybrid and mobile cloud storage services.
Private clouds are tailored to accommodate and handle data requests from small home-based companies or larger companies. Typically, this type of cloud service is the best solution for a company that wants to migrate all data by employing the services of a third-party cloud provider.
Alternately, cloud service clients can opt for two types of private clouds. An on-premise cloud uses a server or a machine that can be found in the same building. This server hosts the cloud. The other option is externally-hosted cloud storage. The host server is not in the same building as the company.
On-premise private clouds are easier to supervise. The machine that handles all the requests is in the same building as the company. Thus, the staff can easily check if something goes wrong. However, keep in mind that this type of service is better suited for bigger companies. For smaller businesses, it may be a bit pricey, as the maintenance costs can be quite high.
With public cloud, you wont need to concern about maintenance or data security, since all the data is externalized. Public clouds are easier to access and maintain than private clouds.
Furthermore, anyone having the right credentials can submit access to the cloud, from either a computer terminal connected to the Internet or from other devices such as a tablet or a smartphone.
A hybrid cloud combines some of the features of private and public clouds. One of the greatest advantages of using hybrid clouds is the greater number of customization options. You can add, delete or edit the current applications running on your cloud.
If you wish to share sensitive information, you can always opt for the private cloud feature with better security. Alternately, you can migrate some of your non-sensitive data on the public side of the cloud.
4. Mobile Cloud Storage
Mobile cloud storage allows users to store and manage files, photos, music, and videos from their mobile devices (laptops, tablets and smartphones). Many new mobile phones come with preloaded and configured cloud storage that can be used to back up the devices files. iOS devices use iCloud, Apples mobile cloud storage service. Android-operating devices use Google Drive, while Samsung Galaxy has a partnership with Dropbox. We compared the features of iCloud vs Dropbox, so you can learn more from our extensive review:
Related:ICloud Vs Dropbox Cloud Storage Comparison
5 Advantages of Cloud Storage
Below we highlight 5 obvious benefits of cloud storage:
Companies and individuals using cloud-based services are more likely to cut back on operating costs than those who still use in-house hosting solutions or external hard drives. Furthermore, according to the recent online polls on cloud storage, the average cost of one gigabyte of storage space is around 3 cents.
Consider migrating your data to a third-party cloud storage service to avoid cluttering and to ease operations.
As we mentioned in our introductory remarks, you can access all files, folder, photos, and videos in the cloud from anywhere in the world. Of course, provided you have the necessary credentials and internet access.
One of the greatest advantages of using cloud storage is that youll always have a backup solution in case something goes wrong. If something happens to the files on a computer, you can always access the cloud and retrieve any data that may have been damaged or lost.
If youve committed any changes to one or more files, the cloud will automatically sync the changes across all affiliated devices.
Most cloud storage providers tend to add extra layers of security protocols. They do this in order to prevent your files and folders from either ending up in the wrong hands or from being lost.
5 Disadvantages of Using Cloud Storage
Below we outline some of the weaknesses of cloud storage:
Since cloud-based solutions depend on the speed of your Internet upload and download speed, having a low latency can impede you from accessing the data in real time. Also, there are still many areas around the globe where you cant connect to the Internet.
For a corporation or a small business, cloud storage services are sound solutions. However, for home devices, these costs may be too high to handle.
Although the goal of cloud-based services is to minimize our dependency on physical storage devices, a large number of businesscloud storage services require the presence of a physical hard drive as well.
Customer support is not one of the stronger points of cloud storage vendors. Cloud storage providers usually instruct clients to take a closer look at the FAQ or follow online forums.
After migrating the data to a third-party cloud storage provider, there is a bit of an issue concerning who owns the information. Is it the company, as a client, or the cloud storage provider?
What is cloud storage? Its a new concept in cloud computing models that allows faster information deployment, little management, and little supervision. There are of course advantages and disadvantages for opting for this kind of services. Its up to you to figure out whether its worth it or not.
Nowadays, however, most large cloud storage providers have a diverse offer when it comes to storage plans and pricing. Plans and offers vary from provider to provider. However, most include at least some service packages for home use, as well as cloud storage plans for small businesses or large corporations. What is your experience with cloud storage? Comment below!
- 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2019 [Updated ... - May 31st, 2019
- What is cloud storage? | IBM Cloud - May 1st, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire - April 1st, 2019
- Cloud Storage Providers - SourceForge - March 11th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019 - March 8th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage for 2019 | Reviews.com - March 7th, 2019
- Best Cloud Storage Reviews 2019 | 31 Best Services Compared - February 25th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- There's a lot more to the Cloud than storage these days and competition is getting crowded - Financial Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017
- Whatchu doin' Upthere? Western Digital moves on cloud storage space - The Register - August 30th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan | 08/29/17 ... - Markets Insider - August 30th, 2017
- Nearly 300 years worth of porn was recorded to test Amazon's ... - Neowin - August 30th, 2017
- Western Digital (WDC) Acquires Cloud-Storage Startup Upthere - Nasdaq - August 29th, 2017
- Faction Partners with CoreSite to Launch Multi-Cloud Storage and ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- A Man Backing Up Millions Of GB Of Porn May Have Ended ... - Indiatimes.com - August 29th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan - PR Newswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Person tests Amazon's "unlimited" cloud storage by uploading 1.8 petabytes of porn - Boing Boing - August 27th, 2017
- Hedvig Advances Private, Hybrid and Multi-cloud Storage with New Integrations, Security, and All-flash Capabilities - insideBIGDATA - August 27th, 2017
- Why Storage Companies Are Partnering with Microsoft Azure for ... - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 26th, 2017
- Microsoft Unveils Cost-Cutting Archival Cloud Storage Option - eWeek - August 25th, 2017
- A Redditor Archived Nearly 2 Million Gigabytes of Porn to Test Amazon's 'Unlimited' Cloud Storage - Motherboard - August 25th, 2017
- Back up everything with lifetime 2TB cloud storage for under $50 - Popular Science - August 25th, 2017
- Google Cloud: How to Reduce Data Storage Costs and Maximize Performance - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Enterprises Encounter Cloud Storage Cost and Management Challenges - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Cisco Validates SwiftStack's hybrid cloud storage software - Read IT Quik - August 23rd, 2017
- Another Free Data Backup Option Bites The Dust - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Apollo Cloud 2 Duo offers personal cloud storage with no monthly fees - Techaeris - August 22nd, 2017
- pCloud first cloud storage provider to offer lifetime plan - PRUnderground (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Top 5 tips for doing a cloud storage cost analysis - Information Age - August 21st, 2017
- How offsite solutions can complement NAS setups - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- BBB Tip of the Week: What to look for in cloud storage - The Spokesman-Review - August 20th, 2017
- Get 2 TB of Cloud Storage from Zoolz for Life for Just $50 - The Escapist - August 20th, 2017
- Optimize a public cloud storage service with these performance tips - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- XenData Launches Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance Optimized for Media Files - Broadcasting & Cable - August 16th, 2017
- Lima Ultra: Tiny, personal cloud storage which just misses the mark - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Secure 2TBs of cloud storage space for life for under $50 - TNW - August 16th, 2017
- Results: do you pay for extra cloud storage? How much do you need? - Phone Arena - August 16th, 2017
- XenData Debuts CX-10 Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance - TV Technology - August 16th, 2017
- Datrium Splits Provisioning to Boost Private Cloud Storage - SDxCentral - August 16th, 2017
- Migrating from server to cloud storage - THE BUSINESS TIMES - August 16th, 2017
- Film maker shuns cloud storage for Spectra Logic tape - ComputerWeekly.com - August 14th, 2017
- NetApp Has Better Storage Trends than Pure, Says Maxim - Barron's - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Backup vs Local Backup Which Option Should I Choose To Protect My Data? - Fossbytes - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Works Better With Cloud Secure! - MustTech News - August 13th, 2017
- UPDATE -- Maxwell Health Reduces Cloud Storage Costs and Reduces Recovery Times with Datos IO RecoverX for ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cloud Storage: Mature Saturation or Early Adopter Phase? | Hacked ... - Hacked - August 10th, 2017
- How To Have Cloud Storage and Backup For Life For Less - Daily Beast - August 10th, 2017
- Wasabi Technologies takes on Amazon S3 on price, performance - TechTarget - August 8th, 2017
- Here's one good reason to not rely on cloud storage - Business Insider Australia - August 6th, 2017
- Veritas Technologies Named a Leader in the 2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery ... - Markets Insider - August 6th, 2017
- Microsoft wants your cloud storage to sleep with the fishes, literally - Digital Trends - August 5th, 2017
- MEGA Privacy brings 50GB of free cloud storage space to Windows 10 - Windows Report - August 5th, 2017
- Team sets new record for magnetic tape storagemakes tape competitive for cloud storage - Phys.Org - August 3rd, 2017