Cloud storage services are great for sharing files with friends and families, keeping documents in sync between all of your devices, and so much more. Free cloud storage is even better!
Yes, there really areno-strings-attached, free cloud storage services out there. Many of them, actually.While nearly all have premium offerings that provide more space, the free cloud storage offered is usually more than enough for most people.
Better yet, many of these free cloud storage providers give you even more free space for referring friends or performing other tasks.
Having trouble deciding on which free cloud storage service is right for you? Here’s a comparison chart of the top 5 services to help you decide.
Note: Cloud storage is different than automatic cloud backup. The services listed below are great for keeping your files kept online for storage, sharing, and playback, but they will not keep your computer files backed up online on a schedule.
Get 50 GB of free cloud storage with MEGA. MEGA offers secure end-to-end encryption to help combat a breach in privacy.
You can view and update your MEGA files through a browser, the desktop sync client, or the mobile app.
10 GB of free online storageis offered by pCloud, with friend referrals and other bonus stepsjumping it to a possible 20 GB.
A desktop client can be installed for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. There’s also a mobile app that’s very intuitive and easy to use.
pCloudsupports adding files from a remote URL in addition to single file and whole folder uploads through a browser. The mobile apps can upload photos and videos directly to your pCloud account.
Both files and folders can both be shared with non-users. Shared folders can even be downloaded as a ZIP archive.
Also, pCloud allows upload links to be generated for folders so anyone can send files to your account. A unique email address is also generated which lets you (or anyone)email files directly to a folder on your pCloud account.
In addition to the above, you can backup the photos from your social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, and Picasa.
Instantly get 10 GB of free online file hosting with MediaFire. Increase it to 50 GB or more with things like friend referrals and application downloads.
There are sharing options for files and folders and easy uploads of either single files or whole entire folders through the MediaFire website.
Mobile users can download an app to view and share files on the go or upload photos and videos.
Dropbox users start off with 2 GB of free space with several simple ways of earning more, up to around 18 GB.
You can view and upload all your Dropbox files from a desktop or mobile app and share whole folders with anyone, even if they don’t have a Dropbox account.
If you have Microsoft Office files stored in your Dropbox account, you can edit them from inside your browser for free using Microsoft Office Online.
10 GB of free online storage space is offered by Box (formerly Box.net).
There’s a mobile application for nearly all devices that lets you upload/download/share your content. The desktop sync client also makes it super simple to upload files to Box.
Box users can share whole folders of data or pick single files to share with a public link.
New FlipDrive users get 10 GB of initial storage with an opportunity for more for each friend they can refer to start using FlipDrive.
There is a mobile appfor iOS, Android, Windows & Windows Phonethat can be used for uploading files to FlipDrive, but the website works, too. If you use the web version, you can upload whole folders using the website, which is nice.
You can share files with anyone, even if they don’t have a FlipDrive account. However, accessing sharedfolders requires a registered FlipDrive account.Recipients can be given write, edit, delete, and share permissions in addition to read rights for folders.
You can create up to 10 shared links and upload files that are as large as 25 MB.
The FlipDrive website isn’t the easiest to use when compared to most other cloud storage services, which is a bummer, but it still manages to function if you can work through it.
Google Drive is the cloud storage service offered by Google. Each new user gets 15 GB of free space.
The total storageis actuallyshared with other Google services, like Gmail and Google+ Photos. If you don’t use the other services, you canutilize almost all the space for Google Drive alone.
A sync client can be installed for desktop users, which supports folder and file uploads. There’s also a mobile app that can sendphotos and videos to Google Drive.
Folders and files can be shared with specific Google users via their email address or anyone with a public link. You can also make a file view-only, which prevents someone from downloading it.
Google Drive makes it really simple to collaborate with others by allowing comments and letting files be opened and accessed my more than one person at a time.
Formerly called SkyDrive, OneDrive is an online storage service from Microsoft. Everyone gets 5GB of free space when they sign up.
Extra hosting can be awarded if you follow certain instructions, like friend referrals and mobile photo syncing.
A desktop program can be installed to easily transfer folders and files of any type to OneDrive, making them accessible from a mobile device. The mobile app for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone can also upload filesboth images and videos.
OneDrive supports sharing both folders and files with non-registered users. A permission can be set to only allow viewing or to allow full editing.
Get 5 GB of free online storage space with HiDrive. If you refer friends to join, you can increase your storage up to 10 GB.
If you’re aWindows or Mac user, youcan connect to your account over WebDAV, which makes it really simple to drag and drop new files to your account.
An app is available foriOSandAndroidusers, which supports mobile photo and video uploads.
When sharing files, you’re required to set the URL to expire after a certain number of days and also set a maximum number of allowed downloads before the link becomes invalid.
You can also share folders, and recipients, even non-users, can download all the files at once in an archive.
Yandex is a Russian company known mainly for its popularYandex Searchand Yandex Email services, but they also have others, like 10 GB of free cloud storage for anyone who creates an account.
There are plenty of useful features with Yandex.Disk, such as public and privatefolder and file sharing, the ability to import photos via social networks,bulk downloads, automatic mobile uploads, and support for drag and drop.
Windows, Mac, and Linux users can install a desktop program to upload files to Yandex.Disk, and a mobile app is available for Android, iOS, and Windows Phone. There’s even a Yandex.Disk app for LG smart TVs.
5 GB can of free cloud storage can be had when you sign up for Sync.
Like some of the other services listed on this page, Sync can upload multiple files at once through both the website interface as well as the mobile (iOS and Android) and desktop apps.
You can build shared folders that other users can interact with as well as share any folder or file withanyone, regardless if they’re a Sync user.
Vaultis a folder in Sync that you can put files into so that they aren’t synced across your other devices. This is useful if you just want to archive some files online but don’t need them elsewhere.
See Sync’sfeatures page for a list of its features and some comparisons between the free and pro versions.
Over 200 file typescan be uploaded to Jumpshare, with a total of 2 GB offree storage for every user. If you refer friends to join Jumpshare, you can get up to 18 GB forfree!
A downloadable program is available for Windows and Mac users that allowsreallysimple drag and drop and hotkey file sharing capabilities. There’s also an iOS app here.
The upload limit per file is 250 MB. The desktop program also lets you take screenshots and record your screen for 30 seconds.
myDrive is another online storage service but it offers much less space than the majority of the others in this list.There is no limit to how large uploads can be, but you can only store up to 100 MB on myDrive, which makes the maximum file size 100 MB as well.
Adesktop appis available for Windows, Linux, andMac computers, and an Android and iOS app for mobile devices. Plus, you can connect to your account through WebDAV.
myDrive is very limited compared to similar websites, such as the fact that file sharing is allowed only if you give out a “guest” username and password, and you only get one.
Though I do like thatyou can download multiple files in an archive andrestore deleted files up to a month after removing them from your account.
360 Security Cloud is aChinese service that offers a huge 360 GB of storage when you first sign up. If you download the desktop client, you instantly get upgraded toover 10 TB of storage!
Files and folders can be added to your account through either the website or the desktop program that’savailable for Windows and Mac.
You can share both files and folders with anyone through a public link, which doesn’t require them to have a 360 Security Cloud account.
Android and iOS mobile apps can be installed to access 360 Security Cloud, share files and folders, and upload photos and videos.
There’s a “daily draw” link available from the website that, when clicked, gives you extra storage space. The amount changes every day and you can only enter once per day.
Note:The 360 Security Cloud mobile app, website, and desktop programis only available in Chinese. Though it can be nearly impossible to understand what you’re doing through the applications (given you don’t read Chinese), uploading and sharing your files is a bit easier if you use anEnglish translationof the 360 Security Cloud website.
Amazon.com has an online storage service called Amazon Drive, which offers Amazon Primemembers unlimited photo storage plus 5 GB of space for videos and files.
Users can share files tocreatea public link accessible by anyone who uses it, even if they don’t have an Amazon account. Folder sharing isn’t supported.
Files can be uploaded using the desktop client software or the web version, though only the former allows folder uploads. A mobile appisalso available for uploading videos and photos from Android and iOS devices.
Sign up for Amazon Drive
Another website that gives out quite a bit of online space is Tencent Cloud at Weiyun.com. However, while there is 10 GB of free storage up for grabs, the website and app are not in English, making it pretty difficult to use them.
With that being said, if you’re out of options and need these 10 gigabytes, the upload and download buttons are easy enough to understand since they’re just pictures.
You can check how much space you have available from this page, and you can download the program for Tencent Cloudhere.
To get logged in to Tencent Cloud, you can download the WeChat app on your phone (it’s in English) and use theDiscover > Scanoption to scan the QR code on Weiyun.com, which will get you in and let you use the cloud storage features. Use the QR code from the right tab, not the left one.
Degoo gives out a huge 100 GB of free storage to anyone who makes an account. You can use the cloud storage account on your computer through the desktop program, or access your files on the go with the mobile app for iOS and Android.
If you have lots of friends who want to use Degoo to store their files, you can even get 500 GBmoreby referring them to make an account. You get 3 GB for each person that joins through your referral. You can also watch ads to get more free online space (1.2 GB per day).
I’ve placed Degoo at the very bottom of this list despite its huge 100 GB capacity because it functions a bit more like a backup service rather than a cloud storage program.
You can definitely pick which files are backed up but backups are performed automatically every 24 hours to keep things updated, which makes it work more like a free backup service.
Because Degoo is a bit different than these other cloud storage services, you should use it like this: pick a folder on your computer that will hold all of your backed up files, or make new one. Put everything into that folder that you want to keep online, and then make sure Degoo is running to back up the files online.
See original here:
The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- There's a lot more to the Cloud than storage these days and competition is getting crowded - Financial Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017
- Whatchu doin' Upthere? Western Digital moves on cloud storage space - The Register - August 30th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan | 08/29/17 ... - Markets Insider - August 30th, 2017
- Nearly 300 years worth of porn was recorded to test Amazon's ... - Neowin - August 30th, 2017
- Western Digital (WDC) Acquires Cloud-Storage Startup Upthere - Nasdaq - August 29th, 2017
- Faction Partners with CoreSite to Launch Multi-Cloud Storage and ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- A Man Backing Up Millions Of GB Of Porn May Have Ended ... - Indiatimes.com - August 29th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan - PR Newswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Person tests Amazon's "unlimited" cloud storage by uploading 1.8 petabytes of porn - Boing Boing - August 27th, 2017
- Hedvig Advances Private, Hybrid and Multi-cloud Storage with New Integrations, Security, and All-flash Capabilities - insideBIGDATA - August 27th, 2017
- Why Storage Companies Are Partnering with Microsoft Azure for ... - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 26th, 2017
- Microsoft Unveils Cost-Cutting Archival Cloud Storage Option - eWeek - August 25th, 2017
- A Redditor Archived Nearly 2 Million Gigabytes of Porn to Test Amazon's 'Unlimited' Cloud Storage - Motherboard - August 25th, 2017
- Back up everything with lifetime 2TB cloud storage for under $50 - Popular Science - August 25th, 2017
- Google Cloud: How to Reduce Data Storage Costs and Maximize Performance - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Enterprises Encounter Cloud Storage Cost and Management Challenges - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Cisco Validates SwiftStack's hybrid cloud storage software - Read IT Quik - August 23rd, 2017
- Another Free Data Backup Option Bites The Dust - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Apollo Cloud 2 Duo offers personal cloud storage with no monthly fees - Techaeris - August 22nd, 2017
- pCloud first cloud storage provider to offer lifetime plan - PRUnderground (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Top 5 tips for doing a cloud storage cost analysis - Information Age - August 21st, 2017
- How offsite solutions can complement NAS setups - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- BBB Tip of the Week: What to look for in cloud storage - The Spokesman-Review - August 20th, 2017
- Get 2 TB of Cloud Storage from Zoolz for Life for Just $50 - The Escapist - August 20th, 2017
- Optimize a public cloud storage service with these performance tips - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- XenData Launches Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance Optimized for Media Files - Broadcasting & Cable - August 16th, 2017
- Lima Ultra: Tiny, personal cloud storage which just misses the mark - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Secure 2TBs of cloud storage space for life for under $50 - TNW - August 16th, 2017
- Results: do you pay for extra cloud storage? How much do you need? - Phone Arena - August 16th, 2017
- XenData Debuts CX-10 Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance - TV Technology - August 16th, 2017
- Datrium Splits Provisioning to Boost Private Cloud Storage - SDxCentral - August 16th, 2017
- Migrating from server to cloud storage - THE BUSINESS TIMES - August 16th, 2017
- Film maker shuns cloud storage for Spectra Logic tape - ComputerWeekly.com - August 14th, 2017
- NetApp Has Better Storage Trends than Pure, Says Maxim - Barron's - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Backup vs Local Backup Which Option Should I Choose To Protect My Data? - Fossbytes - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Works Better With Cloud Secure! - MustTech News - August 13th, 2017
- UPDATE -- Maxwell Health Reduces Cloud Storage Costs and Reduces Recovery Times with Datos IO RecoverX for ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cloud Storage: Mature Saturation or Early Adopter Phase? | Hacked ... - Hacked - August 10th, 2017
- How To Have Cloud Storage and Backup For Life For Less - Daily Beast - August 10th, 2017
- Wasabi Technologies takes on Amazon S3 on price, performance - TechTarget - August 8th, 2017
- Here's one good reason to not rely on cloud storage - Business Insider Australia - August 6th, 2017
- Veritas Technologies Named a Leader in the 2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery ... - Markets Insider - August 6th, 2017
- Microsoft wants your cloud storage to sleep with the fishes, literally - Digital Trends - August 5th, 2017
- MEGA Privacy brings 50GB of free cloud storage space to Windows 10 - Windows Report - August 5th, 2017
- Team sets new record for magnetic tape storagemakes tape competitive for cloud storage - Phys.Org - August 3rd, 2017
- Attala Systems Announces Its High Performance Composable Storage Infrastructure Technology for Cloud and Analytics - PR Newswire (press release) - August 3rd, 2017
- Hybrid cloud technology gets the most out of primary storage workloads - TechTarget - August 2nd, 2017
- IBM and Sony breakthrough on tape storage density could lower cold storage costs again - GeekWire - August 2nd, 2017
- Mega's beta cloud storage app for Windows 10 now open to ... - Windows Central - August 1st, 2017
- Startup Morro Data launches CloudNAS services for SMBs - TechTarget - August 1st, 2017
- Morro Data Announces CloudNAS | StorageReview.com - Storage ... - StorageReview.com - August 1st, 2017
- IBM deprecates its first cloud storage platform - www.computing.co.uk - July 31st, 2017
- Senate Resurrects Cloud Storage Protections Bill | Broadcasting ... - Broadcasting & Cable - July 31st, 2017