Morro Data officially launched new CloudNAS services that combine an on-premises cache with Amazon’s Simple Storage Service or Backblaze cloud storage to give small and medium-sized businesses an alternative to local file servers.
The Fremont, California-based startup’s CloudNAS and CloudNAS Business services become generally available this week after a soft launch in March to a limited number of customers. These are the first products and services form Morro Data, which was founded in 2013.
But Morro Data CEO Paul Tien is no stranger to file storage. Tien founded the ReadyNAS product line that NetGear bought from his prior company, Infrant, for $60 million in 2007. Tien said the ReadyNAS core team joined him at Morro Data.
“The NAS market grew quite a bit over the past 10 years. However the architecture has pretty much stayed the same, while cloud storage has been coming on strong with its advantages in reliability, scalability and ease of access,” Tien said. “What we are doing now at Morro is combining the advantages of NAS for local performance and sharing for a group of local users together with the advantages of cloud.”
Morro Data’s main intellectual property is a global distributed file system that synchronizes customer data between one or more on-premises CacheDrive hardware appliances and public cloud storage. The CacheDrives keep the most frequently and recently accessed data at one or more customer sites for fast access and group sharing.
The CacheDrive also functions as a cloud storage gateway to speed the transfer of files to cloud-based object storage. Tien said the CacheDrive is designed to optimize bandwidth to accommodate users with poor Internet connections. Morro also supports enterprise storage services such as data encryption, compression, retention policies and fast data recovery.
“Let’s say a CacheDrive goes bad or you need to add a new office, all you have to do is get a new CacheDrive and then terabytes would sync down basically in minutes,” Tien said. “What’s kept in the cache initially is just like metadata. The real data is still kept in the cloud. But the office will be able to see all the files, and all the downloads could be made available on demand.”
The cloud storage is essentially invisible to the customer. Morro Data presents a standard Server Message Block (SMB) interface through the CacheDrive appliance, so the system looks like on-premises NAS. The product is designed for Windows and Mac users.
Morro Data’s CacheDrive appliance ships with several drive and capacity points. The G40 model offers 1 TB of disk-based cache, and the G80 has a 1 TB solid-state drive (SSD). Morro Data also sells a T600 tower option with 8 TB of disk cache.
Tien recommends a ratio of 1 TB of local cache to 10 TB of cloud storage, although he said the amounts could vary depending on the customer’s active data. Those with more than 10 TB of cloud storage can use the T600 tower model or multiple CacheDrive appliances, he said.
Morro Data currently supports public cloud storage with Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) and Backblaze B2 but plans to add more providers in the future. CloudNAS Business customers can either bring their own cloud storage account or use Morro’s provisioned Amazon S3 option. The starting price is $89 per CacheDrive per month with 1 TB of S3 storage. Additional S3 storage capacity is $39 per TB, Tien said.
Morro’s CloudNAS with Backblaze option is priced at $10 per Cache Drive, and customers bring their own Backblaze cloud storage account. Tien said Backblaze pricing, at $5 per TB per month, should be compelling for traditional desktop NAS users.
Tien noted that CloudNAS is intended for use as primary storage, with the master copy of the data stored in the cloud and synchronized to the CacheDrives at customer sites. He said cost and performance limitations had previously made cloud storage unsuitable for uses other than backup for many small businesses. Customers don’t need to worry about backing up data with CloudNAS because Amazon keeps multiple copies and Morro Data provides file versions in the event of user error or a cloud outage, Tien said.
Howard Marks, founder and chief scientist at Deepstorage LLC, said integrating NAS and cloud storage makes sense for small to mid-sized enterprises (SMEs) because backing up file servers and replicating data between locations is a “real pain.” He said Morro Data’s CloudNAS is best suited to SMEs with multiple locations, because the global namespace gives users transparent access to all data, no matter where they are.
Marks said other vendors offering cloud/NAS integration include Nasuni, Panzura and Ctera, but they have only a small fraction of the NAS market.
“Panzura or Nasuni focus more on the enterprise segment. We are focusing on the small and medium business,” Tien said.
- What is cloud storage? | IBM Cloud - May 1st, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage and What Are Its Advantages? - April 12th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire - April 1st, 2019
- Cloud Storage Providers - SourceForge - March 11th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019 - March 8th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage for 2019 | Reviews.com - March 7th, 2019
- Best Cloud Storage Reviews 2019 | 31 Best Services Compared - February 25th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- Cloud Storage on Your Windows 10 PC - dummies - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- There's a lot more to the Cloud than storage these days and competition is getting crowded - Financial Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017
- Whatchu doin' Upthere? Western Digital moves on cloud storage space - The Register - August 30th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan | 08/29/17 ... - Markets Insider - August 30th, 2017
- Nearly 300 years worth of porn was recorded to test Amazon's ... - Neowin - August 30th, 2017
- Western Digital (WDC) Acquires Cloud-Storage Startup Upthere - Nasdaq - August 29th, 2017
- Faction Partners with CoreSite to Launch Multi-Cloud Storage and ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- A Man Backing Up Millions Of GB Of Porn May Have Ended ... - Indiatimes.com - August 29th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan - PR Newswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Person tests Amazon's "unlimited" cloud storage by uploading 1.8 petabytes of porn - Boing Boing - August 27th, 2017
- Hedvig Advances Private, Hybrid and Multi-cloud Storage with New Integrations, Security, and All-flash Capabilities - insideBIGDATA - August 27th, 2017
- Why Storage Companies Are Partnering with Microsoft Azure for ... - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 26th, 2017
- Microsoft Unveils Cost-Cutting Archival Cloud Storage Option - eWeek - August 25th, 2017
- A Redditor Archived Nearly 2 Million Gigabytes of Porn to Test Amazon's 'Unlimited' Cloud Storage - Motherboard - August 25th, 2017
- Back up everything with lifetime 2TB cloud storage for under $50 - Popular Science - August 25th, 2017
- Google Cloud: How to Reduce Data Storage Costs and Maximize Performance - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Enterprises Encounter Cloud Storage Cost and Management Challenges - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Cisco Validates SwiftStack's hybrid cloud storage software - Read IT Quik - August 23rd, 2017
- Another Free Data Backup Option Bites The Dust - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Apollo Cloud 2 Duo offers personal cloud storage with no monthly fees - Techaeris - August 22nd, 2017
- pCloud first cloud storage provider to offer lifetime plan - PRUnderground (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Top 5 tips for doing a cloud storage cost analysis - Information Age - August 21st, 2017
- How offsite solutions can complement NAS setups - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- BBB Tip of the Week: What to look for in cloud storage - The Spokesman-Review - August 20th, 2017
- Get 2 TB of Cloud Storage from Zoolz for Life for Just $50 - The Escapist - August 20th, 2017
- Optimize a public cloud storage service with these performance tips - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- XenData Launches Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance Optimized for Media Files - Broadcasting & Cable - August 16th, 2017
- Lima Ultra: Tiny, personal cloud storage which just misses the mark - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Secure 2TBs of cloud storage space for life for under $50 - TNW - August 16th, 2017
- Results: do you pay for extra cloud storage? How much do you need? - Phone Arena - August 16th, 2017
- XenData Debuts CX-10 Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance - TV Technology - August 16th, 2017
- Datrium Splits Provisioning to Boost Private Cloud Storage - SDxCentral - August 16th, 2017
- Migrating from server to cloud storage - THE BUSINESS TIMES - August 16th, 2017
- Film maker shuns cloud storage for Spectra Logic tape - ComputerWeekly.com - August 14th, 2017
- NetApp Has Better Storage Trends than Pure, Says Maxim - Barron's - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Backup vs Local Backup Which Option Should I Choose To Protect My Data? - Fossbytes - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Works Better With Cloud Secure! - MustTech News - August 13th, 2017
- UPDATE -- Maxwell Health Reduces Cloud Storage Costs and Reduces Recovery Times with Datos IO RecoverX for ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cloud Storage: Mature Saturation or Early Adopter Phase? | Hacked ... - Hacked - August 10th, 2017
- How To Have Cloud Storage and Backup For Life For Less - Daily Beast - August 10th, 2017
- Wasabi Technologies takes on Amazon S3 on price, performance - TechTarget - August 8th, 2017
- Here's one good reason to not rely on cloud storage - Business Insider Australia - August 6th, 2017
- Veritas Technologies Named a Leader in the 2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery ... - Markets Insider - August 6th, 2017
- Microsoft wants your cloud storage to sleep with the fishes, literally - Digital Trends - August 5th, 2017
- MEGA Privacy brings 50GB of free cloud storage space to Windows 10 - Windows Report - August 5th, 2017
- Team sets new record for magnetic tape storagemakes tape competitive for cloud storage - Phys.Org - August 3rd, 2017