By Dan Gookin
The most common cloud service is file storage. A branch of folders and files on your PCs mass storage system are duplicated on the Internet, available on the web or from any other Internet-connected gizmo.
Whether your PC has a cloud storage subscription or not, you can always get one. Several services are available, which include a modicum of free online storage. They all work in a similar manner:
Install the cloud storage software on your computer.
This is the program that synchronizes your files from the PCs mass storage system to the Internet.
Create an account.
The account provides the Internet access, not only to coordinate the files but also to a website where you can access your files online.
Start using the service.
You copy files to the folders on your PC, which are echoed to the Internet and synchronized across any device that also uses that cloud storage.
Three popular online storage services are Microsofts OneDrive, Googles Google Drive, and Dropbox. Here is a list of these services and their web addresses. Visit the address to download the software.
To add the cloud storage to your PC, follow the general steps. Visit the web page to install the software, create an account, and then start using the service.
One drawback to cloud storage is limited storage capacity. That can be addressed if youre willing to pay for more storage.
More cloud storage options exist than the three you find here. Some are open to anyone, but many are paid subscription only for example, Adobes Creative Cloud.
Microsofts cloud storage service was originally called SkyDrive. Then they found out someone else owned the name SkyDrive, so Microsoft changed it.
To make cloud storage work, save files and create folders within the cloud storage folder tree on your PCs mass storage system. The folders are found in your accounts home folder, given the name of the cloud service that youre using. For example:
Open those folders and you often find additional folders, such as Documents, Pictures, Music, and so on. You may find documentation on how to use some of the folders.
As an example, here are the steps to copy a file from your home folders Documents folder to the OneDrive Documents folder:
Press Win+E to summon a File Explorer window.
Choose Documents from the left side of the window.
What you see is actually a library, not the specific documents folder for your account. Thats okay; the same files are available.
Click to select a file, and then press Ctrl+X to move (cut) the file.
From the left side of the window, choose OneDrive.
It should appear in the Quick Access list. In fact, you may also see Dropbox and Google Drive in that list as well.
Double-click on the Documents folder to open it.
Technically, youre now looking at the contents of the OneDriveDocuments folder.
Press Ctrl+V to paste the file.
The file is moved from the Documents folder to the OneDriveDocuments folder. (If you want to move it back, press Ctrl+Z to undo the operation.)
After the file is copied, its immediately synchronized with cloud storage on the Internet. After a few information superhighway moments, that file is available via the web or on any other device that has access to cloud storage.
These steps demonstrate copying a file to cloud storage, but you can also copy a file from cloud storage, move files, rename them, add folders, and so on.
When you delete a file from cloud storage, its removed from all cloud storage devices.
You can move files between devices by copying them to cloud storage.
Both Google Drive and Dropbox folders are accessible through teensy-weensy icons in the taskbars notifications area.
You can still use your PCs cloud storage folders while the Internet is offline. Any files you add or modify in the cloud storage folders are instantly synchronized after the connection is resumed.
Windows uses the backslash character, , to separate folder names when specifying a path. The term path describes the folder hierarchy, listing all parent folders for a specific folder or just the relevant parent folders.
The most common way to access your cloud storage is from any web browser; navigate to the cloud storage website and log in, and there are your files. OneDrive even lets you preview and examine files online; you can edit Microsoft Office documents if you subscribe to the Office 365 service.
On other devices, you must obtain the cloud storage app. For example, on Android phones and tablets, visit the Google Play Store to obtain apps for Dropbox and OneDrive; Google Drive is included on all Android devices (the app is named Drive).
You see the Dropbox folder on a PC right next to how that folder looks when accessed on an Android tablet. To do so, you open the Dropbox app. Files and folders are identical and synchronized between both devices.
For a laptop or another PC, add the cloud storage software as you did for your first PC. On Windows 10, the OneDrive connection is made automatically, so theres nothing more to set up.
- 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services in 2019 [Updated ... - May 31st, 2019
- What is cloud storage? | IBM Cloud - May 1st, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage and What Are Its Advantages? - April 12th, 2019
- What Is Cloud Storage? - Lifewire - April 1st, 2019
- Cloud Storage Providers - SourceForge - March 11th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2019 - March 8th, 2019
- The Best Cloud Storage for 2019 | Reviews.com - March 7th, 2019
- Best Cloud Storage Reviews 2019 | 31 Best Services Compared - February 25th, 2019
- Top 10 Best Free Cloud Storage Services - 1 more Tech Blog - January 17th, 2019
- Fast & Secure Cloud Storage - Best Online Solution by Acronis - January 2nd, 2019
- Samsung Cloud - November 22nd, 2018
- Cloud Storage Cost Comparison: Which One Is Best? - November 19th, 2018
- What is Cloud Storage,How Does It Work,Its Benefits & Uses ... - November 1st, 2018
- The best free cloud storage service 2018 | TechRadar - October 8th, 2018
- AT&T Cloud Storage - AT&T Cloud Services - October 8th, 2018
- Cloud Storage | Team Knowhow - August 15th, 2018
- The Best Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2018 - August 13th, 2018
- Amazon Drive - June 30th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | S3 Pricing by Region | Amazon ... - June 24th, 2018
- Azure Cloud Storage Solutions and Services | Microsoft Azure - May 28th, 2018
- Cloud Storage Pricing | Cloud Storage Documentation ... - May 10th, 2018
- Understanding cloud storage services: A guide for beginners - May 1st, 2018
- Foscam Cloud - April 7th, 2018
- Data Storage - Flash Storage, NAS, Object ... - Dell EMC US - April 7th, 2018
- Best Cloud Storage Providers 2017 Reviewed & Rated - December 13th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Topics - SearchCloudStorage - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage - 2017 News, Articles and Trends - Tom's IT Pro - October 18th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Pricing Comparison: AWS, Azure, Google, and B2 - October 18th, 2017
- 18 free cloud storage options | Network World - September 19th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Chicago - CBS Chicago - September 7th, 2017
- How Secure Is Cloud-Based Data Storage? - HuffPost - September 7th, 2017
- Best Cloud Storage Solutions For Your Small Business - CBS Detroit - September 7th, 2017
- Deals: A Lifetime Of 2TB Cloud Storage For 90% Off - Gizmodo Australia - September 7th, 2017
- Microsoft Azure: 8 Ways to Save on Cloud Storage - Enterprise Storage Forum - September 2nd, 2017
- There's a lot more to the Cloud than storage these days and competition is getting crowded - Financial Post - September 2nd, 2017
- Cloud storage provider Box's revenue rises as growth slows - Reuters - August 31st, 2017
- Whatchu doin' Upthere? Western Digital moves on cloud storage space - The Register - August 30th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan | 08/29/17 ... - Markets Insider - August 30th, 2017
- Nearly 300 years worth of porn was recorded to test Amazon's ... - Neowin - August 30th, 2017
- Western Digital (WDC) Acquires Cloud-Storage Startup Upthere - Nasdaq - August 29th, 2017
- Faction Partners with CoreSite to Launch Multi-Cloud Storage and ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- A Man Backing Up Millions Of GB Of Porn May Have Ended ... - Indiatimes.com - August 29th, 2017
- pCloud First Cloud Storage Provider to Offer Lifetime Plan - PR Newswire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- Person tests Amazon's "unlimited" cloud storage by uploading 1.8 petabytes of porn - Boing Boing - August 27th, 2017
- Hedvig Advances Private, Hybrid and Multi-cloud Storage with New Integrations, Security, and All-flash Capabilities - insideBIGDATA - August 27th, 2017
- Why Storage Companies Are Partnering with Microsoft Azure for ... - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 26th, 2017
- Microsoft Unveils Cost-Cutting Archival Cloud Storage Option - eWeek - August 25th, 2017
- A Redditor Archived Nearly 2 Million Gigabytes of Porn to Test Amazon's 'Unlimited' Cloud Storage - Motherboard - August 25th, 2017
- Back up everything with lifetime 2TB cloud storage for under $50 - Popular Science - August 25th, 2017
- Google Cloud: How to Reduce Data Storage Costs and Maximize Performance - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Enterprises Encounter Cloud Storage Cost and Management Challenges - Enterprise Storage Forum - August 23rd, 2017
- Cisco Validates SwiftStack's hybrid cloud storage software - Read IT Quik - August 23rd, 2017
- Another Free Data Backup Option Bites The Dust - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Apollo Cloud 2 Duo offers personal cloud storage with no monthly fees - Techaeris - August 22nd, 2017
- pCloud first cloud storage provider to offer lifetime plan - PRUnderground (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Top 5 tips for doing a cloud storage cost analysis - Information Age - August 21st, 2017
- How offsite solutions can complement NAS setups - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- BBB Tip of the Week: What to look for in cloud storage - The Spokesman-Review - August 20th, 2017
- Get 2 TB of Cloud Storage from Zoolz for Life for Just $50 - The Escapist - August 20th, 2017
- Optimize a public cloud storage service with these performance tips - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- XenData Launches Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance Optimized for Media Files - Broadcasting & Cable - August 16th, 2017
- Lima Ultra: Tiny, personal cloud storage which just misses the mark - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Secure 2TBs of cloud storage space for life for under $50 - TNW - August 16th, 2017
- Results: do you pay for extra cloud storage? How much do you need? - Phone Arena - August 16th, 2017
- XenData Debuts CX-10 Hybrid Cloud Storage Appliance - TV Technology - August 16th, 2017
- Datrium Splits Provisioning to Boost Private Cloud Storage - SDxCentral - August 16th, 2017
- Migrating from server to cloud storage - THE BUSINESS TIMES - August 16th, 2017
- Film maker shuns cloud storage for Spectra Logic tape - ComputerWeekly.com - August 14th, 2017
- NetApp Has Better Storage Trends than Pure, Says Maxim - Barron's - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Backup vs Local Backup Which Option Should I Choose To Protect My Data? - Fossbytes - August 14th, 2017
- Cloud Storage Works Better With Cloud Secure! - MustTech News - August 13th, 2017
- UPDATE -- Maxwell Health Reduces Cloud Storage Costs and Reduces Recovery Times with Datos IO RecoverX for ... - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cloud Storage: Mature Saturation or Early Adopter Phase? | Hacked ... - Hacked - August 10th, 2017
- How To Have Cloud Storage and Backup For Life For Less - Daily Beast - August 10th, 2017
- Wasabi Technologies takes on Amazon S3 on price, performance - TechTarget - August 8th, 2017
- Here's one good reason to not rely on cloud storage - Business Insider Australia - August 6th, 2017
- Veritas Technologies Named a Leader in the 2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for Data Center Backup and Recovery ... - Markets Insider - August 6th, 2017
- Microsoft wants your cloud storage to sleep with the fishes, literally - Digital Trends - August 5th, 2017
- MEGA Privacy brings 50GB of free cloud storage space to Windows 10 - Windows Report - August 5th, 2017
- Team sets new record for magnetic tape storagemakes tape competitive for cloud storage - Phys.Org - August 3rd, 2017