We’ve got a few storage news sushi snacks to start off your week. Get your chopsticks out and lift up each of these little beauties to get a taste of who’s doing what in the land of the data-baiters, virtualizer commercializers and the cloud crowd.
Data protection supplier Code42 has partnered with cloud-based e-discovery software Zapproved LLC to produce CloudPreserve for Code42 and Legal Hold Pro.
Legal Hold Pro is Zapproveds product which automates legal holds and data preservation requests. Customers use Code42s endpoint data protection software to back up employee data to a secure on-premises or cloud location and then Legal Hold Pro can be used to wall off part of it behind a legal hold barrier. That data is preserved for litigation and e-discovery purposes.
Corporate legal departments can select computers protected by Code42 as an additional preservation source within the Legal Hold Pro interface. Businesses have the ability to apply in-place preservation holds on custodian computer data directly from Legal Hold Pro.
The two say identified files on those computers can be collected every minute without any manual collection processes and without disrupting the custodian. Legal teams will have faster access to files for litigation and compliance purposes, point-in-time historical visibility to the documents, and protection from device tampering and ransomware-related file loss. Unlimited cloud storage ensures that the protected data is continually maintained and accessible.
End-point protector, file sharer and governancer (Is that a word? Ed) announced Druva Cloud Platform to provide a unified control plane for data management services across endpoint, server, and cloud application data.
This Druva Cloud Platform features time-indexed metadata, global scale-out de-duplication, auto-tiering, RESTful APIs for access and ecosystem integration, and highly elastic search and analytics capabilities.
Jaspreet Singh, co-founder and CEO of Druva, said the Druva Cloud Platform is designed to provide data protection, governance, and intelligence across the full data footprint of the enterprise all delivered as a service. Search, deletion, recovery, compliance monitoring and more functions are applicable across the full data set.
There is no dedicated hardware and storage infrastructure to drive up total cost of ownership, and the associated software that must replicate data between systems to address discrete data challenges (eg, backup, disaster recovery, compliance, eDiscovery, analytics).
Druva says server, endpoint, cloud workload, and application data are optimised as a single, globally de-duplicated data set, and natively managed in the cloud. Companies can achieve global visibility and policy management across all their data from a single control plane.
It claims the product’s storage uses heuristics and machine learning to optimize and auto-tune data protection policies, resulting in significantly shorter backup windows.
Find out more here. Druva Cloud Platform is available in Tech Preview, shipping GA in calendar Q4 in 2017.
Findings of the Druva 2017 VMware Cloud Migration Survey are:
Panzura announced its Mobile Client which enables organizations to natively share files from the cloud to any device at any location.
It provides Enterprise File Sync and Share (EFSS) functionality so users can give employees access to the data via all iOS, Android, PC, and Mac devices.
Hyper-converged virtual SAN storage software supplier StorMagic says its SvSAN product will form an integral part of Ciscos Secure Ops managed cybersecurity offering for OT (Operational Technology) networks, targeted to medium sized and large enterprises.
Ciscos Secure Ops Solution offering helps businesses manage cybersecurity risk and compliance requirements in industrial automation environments. Example customers include Diamond Offshore, active in, unsurprisingly, in offshore drilling and a provider of contract drilling services to the global energy industry. It is also used by a major oil and gas company to protect its ICS Network.
StorMagic says SvSAN forms one of several tightly integrated products and services brought together to form a single product that offers network monitoring and data flow.
Secure Ops original architecture ran in its data centre and was dependent on non-HA local storage to provide the required performance and uptime. Cisco revised the architecture to include a client-side compute infrastructure. This enabled Secure Ops to provide security protection at the client site in combination with a data centre component that collects and analyses critical information.
The updated design uses SvSAN for clusters of dense rack servers for high-availability. At each client site there is a cluster of two Cisco UCS C220 M4 rack servers that communicate back to another cluster of two Cisco UCS C240 M4 rack servers in a Secure Ops data centre. The servers are virtualized using VMware and the storage is virtualized by StorMagic using internal server disks. There is no need for external storage arrays at any of the sites. SvSAN mirrors data between servers to provide the required high availability at each location.
Enterprise backup and business continuity supplier Unitrends says its Recovery Series backup appliances and Unitrends Backup virtual appliances have hypervisor integration for Nutanix Acropolis Hypervisor (AHV).
It helps to eliminate the VMware tax as Unitrends’ CEO Paul Brady explained in a canned quote: “Our joint customers running 3rd party hypervisors on Nutanix are looking for new ways to increase the ROI of their infrastructure, and have told us Acropolis is a great way to do that by eliminating the high cost of VMware licensing. Without proper backup, data management, and enterprise cloud continuity in place, customers could never make that ROI a reality.”
Unitrends will extend its core data centre backup and recovery capabilities for Nutanix to the purpose-built Unitrends Cloud which provides continuity services that fill gaps enterprises face with hyperscale clouds like Amazon Web Services (AWS), such as recovery Service Level Agreements (SLAs), failover scalability, and cost-effective compliance for DR testing and long-term retention.
We’ve reached the end of the sushi buffet. We hope your storage news hunger has been sated.
Sponsored: The Joy and Pain of Buying IT – Have Your Say
- Brinkster Cloud Servers - VMware, SolidFire SSD-Based ... - June 2nd, 2018
- Virtual Network Virtual Private Cloud | Microsoft Azure - March 29th, 2018
- Keeping Your Files Safe in Google's Cloud - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 5 Reasons SD-WAN, 4G LTE Are Cloud Essentials - No Jitter - September 7th, 2017
- Canon USA Advances PRISMAsync Color Print Server in Version 5.2, Offering Cloud-Based PRISMAlytics Dashboard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - September 7th, 2017
- HPE Reports Q3 Gains Along With Cloud Deal - EnterpriseTech - September 6th, 2017
- Huawei Releases the New-Generation Intelligent Cloud Hardware Platform Atlas - Markets Insider - September 6th, 2017
- Unlocking the promise of a connected world through edge cloud ... - ITProPortal - September 5th, 2017
- Want to do IoT right? You'll need more storage, networking, servers, and cloud - TechRepublic - September 5th, 2017
- So you're already in the cloud but need to come back down to Earth - The Register - September 5th, 2017
- Nasa: Our demands for repeat presidential election - Daily Nation - September 5th, 2017
- Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi open to moving servers to India - Economic Times - September 5th, 2017
- VMware officially lands on AWS cloud with new management and security features - SiliconANGLE News (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- VMware-on-AWS is live, and Virtzilla is now a proper SaaS player - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- Socionext Partners with Advantech to Offer High-Density, Low-Cost ... - Design and Reuse (press release) - September 2nd, 2017
- Municipal adoption of the cloud - American City & County (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Veeam follows Virtzilla's cloud up the Amazon - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Where does a business's data live? - Information Age - August 31st, 2017
- IBM cooks up a hardware architecture for tastier cloud-based services - TechTarget - August 31st, 2017
- Tachyum bets on flash storage to re-architect the cloud data center - ZDNet - August 29th, 2017
- Juniper adding microsegmentation to Contrail cloud - TechTarget - August 29th, 2017
- The future of serverless cloud looks a lot like physical servers - TechRepublic - August 29th, 2017
- Demand for server specialists increases, but talent pool is small - Network World - August 29th, 2017
- The pros and cons of cloud vs in house servers - Edmonton - August 28th, 2017
- You Can Now Spin Up VMware Servers in Amazon Data Centers - Data Center Knowledge - August 28th, 2017
- Windows Server 2016 changes prompt a new look at management - TechTarget - August 28th, 2017
- Cloud security market to reach $12B by 2024, driven by rise of cyber attacks - TechRepublic - August 28th, 2017
- Jeff Pulver, Internet Pioneer of VoIP and Entrepreneur Joins ... - Markets Insider - August 28th, 2017
- Google Aims to Boost Cloud Security with Titan Chipset - BizTech Magazine - August 28th, 2017
- Oppo and Vivo plan to move cloud storage to India, following India's new directives on data security - Firstpost - August 28th, 2017
- Digital Deluge on the Cloud - Valley News - August 27th, 2017
- How Can You Improve Document Management By Integrating Cloud-Based File Sharing And What You Need To Know ... - Business 2 Community - August 27th, 2017
- Hitachi rack servers get VMware Cloud treatment The Register - The Register - August 26th, 2017
- CenturyLink enhances VMware-based DCC platform, touts software-defined data center approach - FierceTelecom - August 26th, 2017
- Biz sends apps to public cloud, waves 'bye to on-premises server ... - The Register - August 23rd, 2017
- Druva Raises Another $80 Million - Channel Partners - August 23rd, 2017
- CrashPlan alternatives: How to move to another home backup solution - Macworld - August 23rd, 2017
- VMware shares to surge more than 20% because the Amazon cloud threat is overblown: Analyst - Yahoo Finance - August 23rd, 2017
- AMD Lines Up New China Datacenter Partners - EnterpriseTech - August 23rd, 2017
- How do you bring artificial intelligence from the cloud to the edge? - TNW - August 21st, 2017
- 70% of firms face skill shortages for server-based roles - Cloud Pro - August 21st, 2017
- Qualcomm moved its Snapdragon designers to its ARM server chip. We peek at the results - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- Info on 1.8 million Chicago voters exposed on Amazon server - USA TODAY - August 21st, 2017
- Microsoft and Google Give Startups Options to Amazon's Cloud - Fortune - August 18th, 2017
- Cloud is the ignored dimension of security: Cisco - ZDNet - August 18th, 2017
- How AIG moved commercial claims to the cloud - Information Management - August 18th, 2017
- Oracle expands database offering to its cloud services - Network World - August 16th, 2017
- Voices Cloud security from all angles - Accounting Today - August 16th, 2017
- HostHatch launches new Cloud Servers - 5x faster than the giants, including AWS & DigitalOcean - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Oracle Exadata Cloud lands on bare-metal servers - Computer Business Review - August 15th, 2017
- School phones go on 'the cloud' - The Ridgefield Press - August 15th, 2017
- Datrium Announces Split Provisioning For Simple Private Cloud Consolidation At Rackscale - Markets Insider - August 15th, 2017
- New McAfee virtual network security platform offered as part of free test drive on Amazon Web Services - CTR - August 14th, 2017
- How to move into a cloud career from traditional IT - InfoWorld - August 14th, 2017
- Oracle Makes the Most Powerful Database Platform Available on the Industry's Most Advanced Cloud Infrastructure - PR Newswire (press release) - August 14th, 2017
- Frank Dinucci's Cloud Accounting Workshop Draws Many ... - Markets Insider - August 13th, 2017
- Frank Dinucci's Cloud Accounting Workshop Draws Many Entrepreneurs - PR Newswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cryptocurrencies have pulled one of Nvidia's most sluggish businesses out of the gutter - Quartz - August 11th, 2017
- GoDaddy tops Q2 targets, revenue up 22 percent - ZDNet - August 9th, 2017
- Hardware Can Still Make or Break the Cloud - IT Business Edge (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Serverless Architectures from an MSP's Point of View - MSPmentor - August 4th, 2017
- Unisecure Data Centers Offers 15% Discount On Cloud Server Hosting Services - HostReview.com (press release) - August 2nd, 2017
- How The Cloud Will Disrupt The Ad Tech Stack - AdExchanger - August 2nd, 2017
- Packet launches edge compute service in 15 global locations - RCR Wireless News - August 2nd, 2017
- IBM adds Optane to its cloud, only as storage and without GPUs - The Register - August 2nd, 2017
- Joining Apple, Amazon's China Cloud Service Bows to Censors - New York Times - August 1st, 2017
- Cisco Launches New UCS Servers, Hybrid Cloud Management ... - SDxCentral - July 12th, 2017
- Verizon data of 6 million users leaked online - CNNMoney - July 12th, 2017
- Server vendors board the Xeon SP party bus - The Register - July 12th, 2017
- New Azure servers to pack Intel FPGAs as Microsoft ARM-lessly embraces Xeon - The Register - July 12th, 2017
- Hybrid cloud and blockchain solutions will be the future for data backup - Information Age - July 10th, 2017
- New 'Microsoft 365' package bundles Windows and Office for businesses - GeekWire - July 10th, 2017
- Tech Data Tightens Cloud Integration With Microsoft To Unlock Simpler Experience For SMBs - CRN - July 10th, 2017
- 6502 Retrocomputing Goes to the Cloud - Hackaday - July 8th, 2017
- Retail apocalypse may jump start suburban renewal - Lexington Herald Leader - July 8th, 2017
- Evaluating AMD's Server Market Potential - Seeking Alpha - July 7th, 2017
- Data Center Security: How Cloud Services Keep Your Files Safe - Cloudwards - July 7th, 2017
- Cubic Subsidiary Gets NSA Clearance for Cloud Servers With Aruba Virtual Mobility Controller - ExecutiveBiz (blog) - July 7th, 2017
- As cyberattack hit, Ukrainians turned to Facebook and Google - Houston Chronicle - July 6th, 2017
- Baidu Deploys Xilinx FPGAs in New Public Cloud Acceleration ... - Design and Reuse (press release) - July 6th, 2017