Cisco today debuted new servers and software, which includes a hybrid cloud management tool.
The new cloud tool is called the Workload Optimization Manager, and its powered by cloud management software fromTurbonomic. The product uses intent-based analytics to match workload demand to infrastructure supply across on-premise and multi-cloud environments.
It also compares costs of moving workloads from public clouds, older Cisco servers, and non-Cisco machines to the latest Unified Computing System (UCS) M5 servers announced today.
Ciscos own IT department started using Turbonomic for data center management, and they said, you need to check this out, said Joann Starke, senior manager ofCisco Data Center Solutions.
The company used the software to manage 30 million watts of raised data center floor space. Eighteen months after installing the product, the IT department optimized half of their data center environments and downsized the data center footprint by one-quarter. This saved the company $17 million in equipment costs over the same time frame, and $2.8 million every month in rental costs for space.
The hybrid cloud management software also integrates with UCS infrastructure, which enables Cisco customers to identify idle machines and increase workload density.
Cisco also updated its UCS Director the software that manages the UCS hardware.
The UCS Director 6.5 extends automation capabilities beyond infrastructure by automating native PowerShell functions, virtual machine mobility across vCenter data centers, and support for VMware VMRC console.
It also integrates with Workload Optimization Manager, which enables the automatic creation of a new virtual machine or configuration of a physical server by UCS Director. Workload Optimization Manager then reallocates resources. This ensures application performance and cost efficiency, Starke said.
It is our plan and our vision to expand this across Ciscos entire hybrid cloud stack, she added.
The software updates and new workload management tool help IT departments modernize their data centers with automation, Starke said.
Workloads are increasing by 26 percent, year over year, but IT budgets are only increasing by 3 percent, she explained. Clearly we have a gap and you cant hire enough humans to fill it. You need automation. Youre letting software manage software.
In addition to the software, Cisco today launched new UCS M5 servers. They are built on the Intel Xeon processors, also announced today. Of the five new Cisco machines, three are rack servers and two are blade servers.
The servers include up to double the memory capacity of previous systems and deliver up to 86 percent higher performance compared to the previous generation of UCS, Cisco claims.
Our customers are telling us they want faster applications with fewer complications, said Todd Brannon, director of product marketing, unified computing at Cisco. The demand for real-time analytics the trend there is certainly pointing upward.
Customers want servers with more memory and more graphics processing units (GPUs), which accelerate machine learning algorithms, Brannon added. To this end, one of the new blade servers includes a half-width blade form factor, which allows it to support two GPUs. Cisco says this is an industry first.
Additionally, one of the new rack servers tripled its GPU support, so it now can support six.
The hardwares key differentiator is really the software, Brannon said. Where others warp their servers up in sheet metal, were warping them up in software, he said. Its definitely all about the software for us in UCS.
When asked about the new servers and software, analyst PatrickMoorhead, president of Moor Insights & Strategy said, I like what I see, particularly for current UCS customers. Their new hardware and software is focused at solving real problems and the automation is differentiated.
But, he added, hed like to hear more about Ciscos server security. The new attack point is server firmware, less so on the network and client device, he explained.
- Linux Cloud Servers- instantly flexible - May 18th, 2019
- Pricing - Cloud Services | Microsoft Azure - May 13th, 2019
- Hybrid Cloud Security: Simplify Complex ... - Trend Micro - April 28th, 2019
- Best cloud computing services of 2019 | TechRadar - April 8th, 2019
- Hackers Backdoor Cloud Servers to Attack Future Customers - March 29th, 2019
- Cloud vs. In-House Servers: What is the Best Choice ... - January 4th, 2019
- Cloud Services | Design In The Cloud | Autodesk - December 15th, 2018
- Brinkster Cloud Servers - VMware, SolidFire SSD-Based ... - June 2nd, 2018
- Virtual Network Virtual Private Cloud | Microsoft Azure - March 29th, 2018
- Keeping Your Files Safe in Google's Cloud - New York Times - September 7th, 2017
- 5 Reasons SD-WAN, 4G LTE Are Cloud Essentials - No Jitter - September 7th, 2017
- Canon USA Advances PRISMAsync Color Print Server in Version 5.2, Offering Cloud-Based PRISMAlytics Dashboard ... - PR Newswire (press release) - September 7th, 2017
- HPE Reports Q3 Gains Along With Cloud Deal - EnterpriseTech - September 6th, 2017
- Huawei Releases the New-Generation Intelligent Cloud Hardware Platform Atlas - Markets Insider - September 6th, 2017
- Unlocking the promise of a connected world through edge cloud ... - ITProPortal - September 5th, 2017
- Want to do IoT right? You'll need more storage, networking, servers, and cloud - TechRepublic - September 5th, 2017
- So you're already in the cloud but need to come back down to Earth - The Register - September 5th, 2017
- Nasa: Our demands for repeat presidential election - Daily Nation - September 5th, 2017
- Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi open to moving servers to India - Economic Times - September 5th, 2017
- VMware officially lands on AWS cloud with new management and security features - SiliconANGLE News (blog) - September 2nd, 2017
- VMware-on-AWS is live, and Virtzilla is now a proper SaaS player - The Register - September 2nd, 2017
- Socionext Partners with Advantech to Offer High-Density, Low-Cost ... - Design and Reuse (press release) - September 2nd, 2017
- Municipal adoption of the cloud - American City & County (blog) - August 31st, 2017
- Veeam follows Virtzilla's cloud up the Amazon - The Register - August 31st, 2017
- Where does a business's data live? - Information Age - August 31st, 2017
- IBM cooks up a hardware architecture for tastier cloud-based services - TechTarget - August 31st, 2017
- Tachyum bets on flash storage to re-architect the cloud data center - ZDNet - August 29th, 2017
- Juniper adding microsegmentation to Contrail cloud - TechTarget - August 29th, 2017
- The future of serverless cloud looks a lot like physical servers - TechRepublic - August 29th, 2017
- Demand for server specialists increases, but talent pool is small - Network World - August 29th, 2017
- The pros and cons of cloud vs in house servers - Edmonton - August 28th, 2017
- You Can Now Spin Up VMware Servers in Amazon Data Centers - Data Center Knowledge - August 28th, 2017
- Windows Server 2016 changes prompt a new look at management - TechTarget - August 28th, 2017
- Cloud security market to reach $12B by 2024, driven by rise of cyber attacks - TechRepublic - August 28th, 2017
- Jeff Pulver, Internet Pioneer of VoIP and Entrepreneur Joins ... - Markets Insider - August 28th, 2017
- Google Aims to Boost Cloud Security with Titan Chipset - BizTech Magazine - August 28th, 2017
- Oppo and Vivo plan to move cloud storage to India, following India's new directives on data security - Firstpost - August 28th, 2017
- Digital Deluge on the Cloud - Valley News - August 27th, 2017
- How Can You Improve Document Management By Integrating Cloud-Based File Sharing And What You Need To Know ... - Business 2 Community - August 27th, 2017
- Hitachi rack servers get VMware Cloud treatment The Register - The Register - August 26th, 2017
- CenturyLink enhances VMware-based DCC platform, touts software-defined data center approach - FierceTelecom - August 26th, 2017
- Biz sends apps to public cloud, waves 'bye to on-premises server ... - The Register - August 23rd, 2017
- Druva Raises Another $80 Million - Channel Partners - August 23rd, 2017
- CrashPlan alternatives: How to move to another home backup solution - Macworld - August 23rd, 2017
- VMware shares to surge more than 20% because the Amazon cloud threat is overblown: Analyst - Yahoo Finance - August 23rd, 2017
- AMD Lines Up New China Datacenter Partners - EnterpriseTech - August 23rd, 2017
- How do you bring artificial intelligence from the cloud to the edge? - TNW - August 21st, 2017
- The rice of cloud, avocado of virtualization and salmon of doubt: Let's eat storage sushi - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- 70% of firms face skill shortages for server-based roles - Cloud Pro - August 21st, 2017
- Qualcomm moved its Snapdragon designers to its ARM server chip. We peek at the results - The Register - August 21st, 2017
- Info on 1.8 million Chicago voters exposed on Amazon server - USA TODAY - August 21st, 2017
- Microsoft and Google Give Startups Options to Amazon's Cloud - Fortune - August 18th, 2017
- Cloud is the ignored dimension of security: Cisco - ZDNet - August 18th, 2017
- How AIG moved commercial claims to the cloud - Information Management - August 18th, 2017
- Oracle expands database offering to its cloud services - Network World - August 16th, 2017
- Voices Cloud security from all angles - Accounting Today - August 16th, 2017
- HostHatch launches new Cloud Servers - 5x faster than the giants, including AWS & DigitalOcean - PR Web (press release) - August 15th, 2017
- Oracle Exadata Cloud lands on bare-metal servers - Computer Business Review - August 15th, 2017
- School phones go on 'the cloud' - The Ridgefield Press - August 15th, 2017
- Datrium Announces Split Provisioning For Simple Private Cloud Consolidation At Rackscale - Markets Insider - August 15th, 2017
- New McAfee virtual network security platform offered as part of free test drive on Amazon Web Services - CTR - August 14th, 2017
- How to move into a cloud career from traditional IT - InfoWorld - August 14th, 2017
- Oracle Makes the Most Powerful Database Platform Available on the Industry's Most Advanced Cloud Infrastructure - PR Newswire (press release) - August 14th, 2017
- Frank Dinucci's Cloud Accounting Workshop Draws Many ... - Markets Insider - August 13th, 2017
- Frank Dinucci's Cloud Accounting Workshop Draws Many Entrepreneurs - PR Newswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Cryptocurrencies have pulled one of Nvidia's most sluggish businesses out of the gutter - Quartz - August 11th, 2017
- GoDaddy tops Q2 targets, revenue up 22 percent - ZDNet - August 9th, 2017
- Hardware Can Still Make or Break the Cloud - IT Business Edge (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Serverless Architectures from an MSP's Point of View - MSPmentor - August 4th, 2017
- Unisecure Data Centers Offers 15% Discount On Cloud Server Hosting Services - HostReview.com (press release) - August 2nd, 2017
- How The Cloud Will Disrupt The Ad Tech Stack - AdExchanger - August 2nd, 2017
- Packet launches edge compute service in 15 global locations - RCR Wireless News - August 2nd, 2017
- IBM adds Optane to its cloud, only as storage and without GPUs - The Register - August 2nd, 2017
- Joining Apple, Amazon's China Cloud Service Bows to Censors - New York Times - August 1st, 2017
- Verizon data of 6 million users leaked online - CNNMoney - July 12th, 2017
- Server vendors board the Xeon SP party bus - The Register - July 12th, 2017
- New Azure servers to pack Intel FPGAs as Microsoft ARM-lessly embraces Xeon - The Register - July 12th, 2017
- Hybrid cloud and blockchain solutions will be the future for data backup - Information Age - July 10th, 2017
- New 'Microsoft 365' package bundles Windows and Office for businesses - GeekWire - July 10th, 2017
- Tech Data Tightens Cloud Integration With Microsoft To Unlock Simpler Experience For SMBs - CRN - July 10th, 2017