Here at OnMSFT, we write a lot about cloud computing and the various tangential functions it encompasses such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, and data storage. We also take the time to crunch the numbers each quarter from some of the top names in the industry to see how each company is doing with trying to obtain or maintain the highly coveted market share crown.
But what does it all mean?
For one marijuana start up, it means ditching cloud computing incumbentAmazon for quickly rising software giant Microsofts cloud offerings.
I was recently told an anecdotal story of how Microsofts lesser publicized Bizspark program helped marijuana dispensaryLemonhaze shift its entire business off AWS and onto Azure.
While this migration tale is just one of a thousand stories of business switching back and forth between Amazon and Microsofts cloud computing solutions, Lemonhazesexperience highlights Microsofts developing concentration on helping small to medium sized businesses access the benefits of the cloud.
As Lemonhaze writes on their blog, Why did we make the move? Simple. Our AWS charges were eating through our limited capital resources.
While Lemonhaze has nothing but positive things to say about AWS as a service, it comes down to money as to why the company migrated over to Azure. Lemonhaze recounts a particularly costly encounter with AWS that help motivate the company to switch.
There was this one time an offshore team member inadvertently launched an RDS Instance on AWS that cost us three-thousand bucks. Thats three grand! We would have much preferred spending that money on legal reefers.
Previously, the words Microsoft, start up and money seemed to usually end in another AWS success story, but according to Lemonhaze, Microsoft has a notso secret weapon to help convert those terms in Azure success stories.
Lemonhaze got accepted into the Bizspark program. With open arms. Thanks to Bizspark, Lemonhaze is now fully hosted in the Azure cloud for FREE! For a start-up, this is huge. It frees up capital that we have now allocated to other growth initiatives. Not only was migrating over a cinch, MSFT supplied us with professional service support to facilitate the migration. Seamless.
Worried about a perceptional rejection by Microsoft based on its involvement with marijuana, Lemonhaze cautiouslylooked into the Bizspark program not expecting much. As a start-up in the legal marijuana space, we have gotten accustomed to hearing the word no and the myriad of rejections we deal with on a regular basis, recounts the team.
Fortunately, Lemonhaze qualified for Bizspark and managed to save a whopping 100% on their web hosting. Lemonhaze is realistic about its future with Azure as Bizspark is mainly a testing and migration tool that offers credits to lure potential customers in. At some point, Lemonhaze will have to eventually shell out its own money to host its services on Azure but based on their positive experience and seamless transition, the team plans on staying with Azure for the foreseeablefuture.
We dig the BizSpark/Azure approach of assisting start-ups. Most start-ups fail. At Lemonhaze we fail every day. When working with AWS, the only free customer support available was for billing questions. Theres nothing scarier to a start-up than having to part each month with a nice chunk of change, without the ability to assess if we are optimizing our spend. One wrong move on AWS can wreak havoc on the finances/future of a start-up. Note that when we did run into a critical technical issue, we were required to pay an additional fee for support with AWS.
Again, this is just one in a long list tales that Microsoft will use to continue to pitch its Azure service and the companys new found focus on tailoring its product for the little guys now. We must also keep in mind, Amazon is in no threat of losing its cloud computing cache or its multitude of customers anytime soon, but Lemonhazesclosing words should put a smile on the Azure teams face while worrying the AWS team a bit.
Most small business owners I know are petrified of getting crushed by Amazon. Ditto with Amazon sellers. And brands. (P.S. This is the main reason why we are relieved to no longer be sharing any info/data with Amazon.)
It may only be a few rumblings here and there, but once a narrative takes hold, it can be hard for a company to overcome its momentum. Fortunately, Microsoft knows a thing or two about trying to overcoming narratives, it remains to be seen how Amazon handles theirs.
Go here to see the original:
Marijuana startup Lemonhaze leverages Bizspark to jump from AWS to Azure – OnMSFT (blog)
- Cloud Hosting by Perry Hosting - December 11th, 2017
- What Is Cloud Hosting? | GoDaddy - YouTube - December 11th, 2017
- Linux VPS | Best Managed Linux Cloud Hosting - RoseHosting - November 24th, 2017
- Cloud hosting platforms. Part one: Pantheon | ADCI Solutions - November 24th, 2017
- Get to know Linode, the new (big) kid in town - Technical.ly - September 7th, 2017
- 500 Cloud Operators, Managed Service Companies and Hosters to Gather at the 13th Annual Hosting & Cloud ... - Benzinga - September 7th, 2017
- Cloud ERP: The rising alternative to hosting your own - Networks Asia - September 7th, 2017
- Melbourne Server Hosting Renamed to iomart - Web Host Industry Review - September 6th, 2017
- Cloud ERP: The rising alternative to hosting your own - CIO Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Dean Dorton Technology named to Sage Intacct President's Club, Rookie of the Year and New Partner of the Second ... - The Lane Report - September 6th, 2017
- Microsoft Signs Deal to Put More Apps on Huawei's Cloud in China - eWeek - September 6th, 2017
- Cloud Hosting Providers CommsTrader's UK Channel Guide 2017 - CommsTrader - September 5th, 2017
- Huawei announces Microsoft cloud apps partnership - ZDNet - September 5th, 2017
- Trump Effect Could Cost US Cloud Providers Over $10 Billion: Report - Web Host Industry Review - September 2nd, 2017
- Cost Reduction Strategies on Java Cloud Hosting Services - InfoQ.com - August 30th, 2017
- Cloud Native The Perfect Storm for Managed SD-WAN Services - Network World - August 30th, 2017
- Why 2017 is the Year to Understand Cloud Computing - Business 2 Community - August 28th, 2017
- President Trump Could Cost US Cloud Computing Providers More Than $10 billion by 2020 - The Data Center Journal - August 28th, 2017
- What You NEED To Look For In A Cloud Hosting SLA - TG Daily (blog) - August 27th, 2017
- President Trump Could Cost US Cloud Computing Providers More ... - The Data Center Journal - August 27th, 2017
- State of Cloud - 2017 - Read IT Quik - August 22nd, 2017
- President Trump could cost US cloud computing providers more than $10 billion by 2020 - Bdaily - August 22nd, 2017
- Microsoft No Longer a PC Company with Deals Like Halliburton, Says Credit Suisse - Barron's - August 22nd, 2017
- Did Snap Make a Mistake With Its $3 Billion in Cloud Contracts? - Madison.com - August 21st, 2017
- Right Networks continues focus on tech improvement with new CIO - Accounting Today - August 21st, 2017
- Altinity Provides Cloud Version of ClickHouse on Kodiak Data MemCloud - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- NASA calls on cloud for online eclipse streaming - GCN.com - August 21st, 2017
- Cloud Hosting Reviews and Comparisons | Cloud Hosting Directory - August 19th, 2017
- Free cloud hosting: comparing the top providers offer - August 19th, 2017
- Microsoft Expands HPC Cloud Portfolio With Cycle Computing Acquisition - eWeek - August 19th, 2017
- UC San Diego Health: Moving Its EHR to the Cloud, Strategically - Healthcare Informatics - August 19th, 2017
- Rackspace's first in-house attorney for international moves on - San Antonio Business Journal - August 19th, 2017
- Microsoft Acquires Cycle Computing to Bulk Up its HPC Cloud Services - eWeek - August 18th, 2017
- Massive Potential Attracts International Players to Iran's Cloud Computing Market, Despite Challenges - PR Newswire (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- These Inventors Need To Conquer Cryptocurrency To Change Cloud Computing - Celebrity Net Worth - August 18th, 2017
- 360 Cloud Solutions now offers Adaptive Insights - Accounting Today - August 18th, 2017
- Hackers breach third party cloud vendor TekLinks - Healthcare IT News - August 18th, 2017
- Stronger security and disaster planning fuel healthcare's migration to the cloud - Healthcare IT News - August 16th, 2017
- Hackers hit dermatology practice through cloud vendor - Information Management - August 16th, 2017
- Hackers hit dermatology practice through cloud vendor - Health Data Management - August 15th, 2017
- Unisecure Hybrid Cloud Hosting Introduces New Integration And Collaboration Support. - HostReview.com (press release) - August 14th, 2017
- CenterGrid Names Kevin Westendorf As Chief Technology Officer - Markets Insider - August 14th, 2017
- Earth911.com - Earth911.com - August 14th, 2017
- Commerce Department Plans to Move Cybersecurity to the Cloud - FedTech Magazine - August 13th, 2017
- Snap CEO Evan Spiegel Makes A Case For Slow User Growth - Fortune - August 11th, 2017
- RiverMeadow and WSM Announce Agreement to Facilitate Cloud Migrations - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Driving operational excellence with your cloud vendors - Network World - August 10th, 2017
- Amazon jumps on Kubernetes bandwagon - ZDNet - August 10th, 2017
- Epic Move: UC San Diego Health Transitions to Cloud Technology - UC San Diego Health - August 10th, 2017
- St. Cloud to Host Summer Sizzler Downtown Art Crawl - WJON News - August 10th, 2017
- Cloud management platforms offer a unified approach to hybrid IT - TechTarget - August 10th, 2017
- CA Health System Begins Cloud-Based Epic EHR Implementation - EHRIntelligence.com - August 10th, 2017
- Home Office seeks partner for AWS switch after current hosting ... - www.channelweb.co.uk - August 9th, 2017
- Planning Your Journey to the Cloud - TV Technology - August 9th, 2017
- Marias Technology adds Microsoft Azure to its Hosting Services - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 9th, 2017
- IBM CIO leaves for AWS and Big Blue flings sueball to stop him - The Register - August 9th, 2017
- How To Win at Cloud Hosting in a Microsoft-AWS-Google World - Redmond Channel Partner - August 8th, 2017
- Epic Move: UC San Diego Health Transitions to Cloud Technology - Newswise (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- Global Health wins contract to deploy cloud system at Sydney hospital - Proactive Investors Australia - August 8th, 2017
- As Tech Execs Rally Around Kushner, Government Cloud Adoption Still Has Ways to Go - Windows IT Pro - August 8th, 2017
- Heavy clouds in IT world make it rain gold for UPS box manufacturers - The Register - August 8th, 2017
- Project Manager - Amazon, Google, Microsoft Cloud Hosting - Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser - August 6th, 2017
- From Public Cloud to Hybrid IT Straight From the Horse's Mouth - InfoWorld - August 6th, 2017
- How companies can boost their website in China's clouded market - Cloud Tech - August 4th, 2017
- Cloud computing facility launched - Times of India - August 4th, 2017
- Aerohive Achieves Unmatched Scale and Flexibility in Cloud-Managed Networking - Patch.com - August 4th, 2017
- 'UK cloud services are strong and ready to compete with the world's best tech economies', Cloudreach CEO says as ... - Data Economy - August 3rd, 2017
- US retailers increasingly switching to public cloud hosting to free up resources to develop new services - InternetRetailing.net - August 2nd, 2017
- Mozilla's Send is basically the Snapchat of file sharing - The Verge - August 2nd, 2017
- Why Facebook Is Withdrawing WhatsApp from the IBM Cloud - Market Realist - August 2nd, 2017
- You need a cloud exit plan, even for AWS, Google, Microsoft, or IBM ... - InfoWorld - August 2nd, 2017
- Cloud Hosting - Cloud Web Hosting Services - Bluehost - August 1st, 2017
- CCS points users of major expiring frameworks towards G-Cloud - PublicTechnology.net - August 1st, 2017
- Secure Cloud Storage Service India Benefits All Types Of Businesses - HostReview.com (press release) (blog) - July 31st, 2017
- Cyber Extortion: Is Your Business Software At Risk? - Techzone360 - July 31st, 2017
- Microsoft's data centre investment to boost SA cloud adoption - IT News Africa - July 12th, 2017
- BT Named A Leader In 2017 Magic Quadrant For Managed Hybrid Cloud Hosting, Europe - BT Retains Its Position As ... - Exchange News Direct - July 11th, 2017
- In Illinois, cloud computing debate could open next chapter of utility rate reform - Utility Dive - July 11th, 2017
- Atlantic Metro Expands CloudDirect(SM) Suite Nationwide - Marketwired (press release) - July 11th, 2017
- Microsoft Launches Azure Local Cloud Solution - CFO - July 11th, 2017