White House Senior Adviser Jared Kushnerheads theWhite House Office of American Innovation, which is tasked with modernizing government IT.
Zach Gibson/Getty Images
Six weeks after a group of tech executives traveled to Washington, D.C. for a June meeting with President Donald Trump and his advisers, including Jared Kushner, the presidents son-in-law and his team are starting to work with companies, including Apple and Google, to getgovernment to more effectively use technology.
According to a report by Recode, Kushner and other top advisers had a private call lastweek with major tech companies who are members of the American Technology Council, asking for input to modernize government IT. One of the ideas on the table is a system where leading tech engineers do tours of duty advising the U.S. government on some of its digital challenges, Recode says.
Though details are scarce at this point, that idea is not a new one. The U.S. Digital Service has run a similar program where it recruits top technologists for term-limited tours of duty with the Federal Government.
The American Technology Council, which was formed in May, is led by Kushners White House Office of American Innovation (WHOAI), a small team focused on bringing new thinking and real change to the countrys toughest problems, according to a report by Politico.
So far consensus around the effectiveness of WHOAI is mixed, with critics worried that Kushners split focus will mean critical projects like moving more agencies to the cloud get left behind. On the other hand, proponents praise his ability to spot problems, figure out whos already working on it, and identify-then-provide whatever help they need to do a better job an approach that doesnt cut into federal IT budgets. One of the tangible wins of WHOAI so far is fixing the VAs electronic health care system.
Just as well-known tech companies use rapid experimentation to test new approaches, government can too, using existing resources, a report by Brookings that looked at ways Kushner can modernize government said. For example, the Department of Education ran quick, virtually cost-free tests to see which email messages worked best in reaching borrowers in default on student loans. Within a few weeks, it had the answers. It used that information to help thousands of individuals shift to more manageable repayment plans.
As long as Kushner can keep persuading agency secretaries and CEOs and civil servant to get together and talk, he has a shot at making progress on some of the most intractable issues that have long stymied Washington, from federal agency mainframes to well-maintained roads and bridges, Politico said.
Arguably one of the biggest technology initiatives at the federal level that has carried over into this administration is the shift to cloud computing. Under former President Barack Obama, the government adopted a Cloud-First Initiative in 2011, where agencies were encouraged to adopt cloud-based services in lieu of expensive on-premise data centers. Along with the initiative, the government has been consolidating its data center footprint as part of its Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI), a move which has a cumulative savings from 2012 to 2017 of $2.2 billion. By 2018, the government hopes these savings to reach $2.7 billion.
Indeed, cost continues to be a primary driver for adopting cloud in the public sector. According to a report by MeriTalk last year, primary motivations for moving to the cloud are cost savings (46 percent), increased flexibility (42 percent) and legacy systems reaching their end of life (35 percent). This last point is particularly interesting as feds continue to spend more than 80 percent of their time and budgets on legacy system life support, according to a separate report by MeriTalk.
According to government IT services provider CSRA, there are five key roadblocks that are preventing federal cloud adoption. These are: concerns around cloud security; organizational culture and maturity; lack of readiness to adopt cloud technologies; perceived lack of control; and immaturity of federal procurement models.
To its credit, the government does acknowledge that roadblocks exist, and is slowly making headway on removing some of them. For example, a lot of the cultural barriers to cloud exist because of a lack of education. In a June report the USDS outlines its efforts in providing digital service training to help the government become a smarter buyer of technology once it establishes a specialized procurement workforce that understands the digital and IT marketplace, agile software development methodology, cloud hosting, and the DevOps practice of integrating system operations with application development teams.
If WHOAI is going to be successful at modernizing government IT, public-private partnerships are just the start. The cultural changes within the government needed to fully embrace technology could be what makes or breaks the momentum of the initiative, and is one that IT pros will be watching play out over the coming months.
- Cloud Hosting Plans - Secure & Scalable Services | HostGator - May 18th, 2018
- Best cloud hosting providers in 2018 | TechRadar - May 14th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting - Cloud - Windows - March 2nd, 2018
- Cloud Servers | Cloud Hosting | Web Hosting - Cirrus Hosting - February 20th, 2018
- Managed Dedicated, Cloud and Hosting Services - February 20th, 2018
- What is Cloud Hosting? | Web Hosting Sun - February 12th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting - Managed Cloud Services - January 9th, 2018
- Cloud Hosting by Perry Hosting - December 11th, 2017
- What Is Cloud Hosting? | GoDaddy - YouTube - December 11th, 2017
- Linux VPS | Best Managed Linux Cloud Hosting - RoseHosting - November 24th, 2017
- Cloud hosting platforms. Part one: Pantheon | ADCI Solutions - November 24th, 2017
- Get to know Linode, the new (big) kid in town - Technical.ly - September 7th, 2017
- 500 Cloud Operators, Managed Service Companies and Hosters to Gather at the 13th Annual Hosting & Cloud ... - Benzinga - September 7th, 2017
- Cloud ERP: The rising alternative to hosting your own - Networks Asia - September 7th, 2017
- Melbourne Server Hosting Renamed to iomart - Web Host Industry Review - September 6th, 2017
- Cloud ERP: The rising alternative to hosting your own - CIO Australia - September 6th, 2017
- Dean Dorton Technology named to Sage Intacct President's Club, Rookie of the Year and New Partner of the Second ... - The Lane Report - September 6th, 2017
- Microsoft Signs Deal to Put More Apps on Huawei's Cloud in China - eWeek - September 6th, 2017
- Cloud Hosting Providers CommsTrader's UK Channel Guide 2017 - CommsTrader - September 5th, 2017
- Huawei announces Microsoft cloud apps partnership - ZDNet - September 5th, 2017
- Trump Effect Could Cost US Cloud Providers Over $10 Billion: Report - Web Host Industry Review - September 2nd, 2017
- Cost Reduction Strategies on Java Cloud Hosting Services - InfoQ.com - August 30th, 2017
- Cloud Native The Perfect Storm for Managed SD-WAN Services - Network World - August 30th, 2017
- Why 2017 is the Year to Understand Cloud Computing - Business 2 Community - August 28th, 2017
- President Trump Could Cost US Cloud Computing Providers More Than $10 billion by 2020 - The Data Center Journal - August 28th, 2017
- What You NEED To Look For In A Cloud Hosting SLA - TG Daily (blog) - August 27th, 2017
- President Trump Could Cost US Cloud Computing Providers More ... - The Data Center Journal - August 27th, 2017
- State of Cloud - 2017 - Read IT Quik - August 22nd, 2017
- President Trump could cost US cloud computing providers more than $10 billion by 2020 - Bdaily - August 22nd, 2017
- Microsoft No Longer a PC Company with Deals Like Halliburton, Says Credit Suisse - Barron's - August 22nd, 2017
- Did Snap Make a Mistake With Its $3 Billion in Cloud Contracts? - Madison.com - August 21st, 2017
- Right Networks continues focus on tech improvement with new CIO - Accounting Today - August 21st, 2017
- Altinity Provides Cloud Version of ClickHouse on Kodiak Data MemCloud - Markets Insider - August 21st, 2017
- NASA calls on cloud for online eclipse streaming - GCN.com - August 21st, 2017
- Cloud Hosting Reviews and Comparisons | Cloud Hosting Directory - August 19th, 2017
- Free cloud hosting: comparing the top providers offer - August 19th, 2017
- Microsoft Expands HPC Cloud Portfolio With Cycle Computing Acquisition - eWeek - August 19th, 2017
- UC San Diego Health: Moving Its EHR to the Cloud, Strategically - Healthcare Informatics - August 19th, 2017
- Rackspace's first in-house attorney for international moves on - San Antonio Business Journal - August 19th, 2017
- Microsoft Acquires Cycle Computing to Bulk Up its HPC Cloud Services - eWeek - August 18th, 2017
- Massive Potential Attracts International Players to Iran's Cloud Computing Market, Despite Challenges - PR Newswire (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- These Inventors Need To Conquer Cryptocurrency To Change Cloud Computing - Celebrity Net Worth - August 18th, 2017
- 360 Cloud Solutions now offers Adaptive Insights - Accounting Today - August 18th, 2017
- Hackers breach third party cloud vendor TekLinks - Healthcare IT News - August 18th, 2017
- Stronger security and disaster planning fuel healthcare's migration to the cloud - Healthcare IT News - August 16th, 2017
- Hackers hit dermatology practice through cloud vendor - Information Management - August 16th, 2017
- Hackers hit dermatology practice through cloud vendor - Health Data Management - August 15th, 2017
- Unisecure Hybrid Cloud Hosting Introduces New Integration And Collaboration Support. - HostReview.com (press release) - August 14th, 2017
- CenterGrid Names Kevin Westendorf As Chief Technology Officer - Markets Insider - August 14th, 2017
- Earth911.com - Earth911.com - August 14th, 2017
- Commerce Department Plans to Move Cybersecurity to the Cloud - FedTech Magazine - August 13th, 2017
- Snap CEO Evan Spiegel Makes A Case For Slow User Growth - Fortune - August 11th, 2017
- RiverMeadow and WSM Announce Agreement to Facilitate Cloud Migrations - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Driving operational excellence with your cloud vendors - Network World - August 10th, 2017
- Amazon jumps on Kubernetes bandwagon - ZDNet - August 10th, 2017
- Epic Move: UC San Diego Health Transitions to Cloud Technology - UC San Diego Health - August 10th, 2017
- St. Cloud to Host Summer Sizzler Downtown Art Crawl - WJON News - August 10th, 2017
- Cloud management platforms offer a unified approach to hybrid IT - TechTarget - August 10th, 2017
- CA Health System Begins Cloud-Based Epic EHR Implementation - EHRIntelligence.com - August 10th, 2017
- Home Office seeks partner for AWS switch after current hosting ... - www.channelweb.co.uk - August 9th, 2017
- Planning Your Journey to the Cloud - TV Technology - August 9th, 2017
- Marias Technology adds Microsoft Azure to its Hosting Services - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 9th, 2017
- IBM CIO leaves for AWS and Big Blue flings sueball to stop him - The Register - August 9th, 2017
- How To Win at Cloud Hosting in a Microsoft-AWS-Google World - Redmond Channel Partner - August 8th, 2017
- Epic Move: UC San Diego Health Transitions to Cloud Technology - Newswise (press release) - August 8th, 2017
- Global Health wins contract to deploy cloud system at Sydney hospital - Proactive Investors Australia - August 8th, 2017
- Heavy clouds in IT world make it rain gold for UPS box manufacturers - The Register - August 8th, 2017
- Project Manager - Amazon, Google, Microsoft Cloud Hosting - Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser - August 6th, 2017
- From Public Cloud to Hybrid IT Straight From the Horse's Mouth - InfoWorld - August 6th, 2017
- How companies can boost their website in China's clouded market - Cloud Tech - August 4th, 2017
- Cloud computing facility launched - Times of India - August 4th, 2017
- Aerohive Achieves Unmatched Scale and Flexibility in Cloud-Managed Networking - Patch.com - August 4th, 2017
- 'UK cloud services are strong and ready to compete with the world's best tech economies', Cloudreach CEO says as ... - Data Economy - August 3rd, 2017
- Marijuana startup Lemonhaze leverages Bizspark to jump from AWS to Azure - OnMSFT (blog) - August 3rd, 2017
- US retailers increasingly switching to public cloud hosting to free up resources to develop new services - InternetRetailing.net - August 2nd, 2017
- Mozilla's Send is basically the Snapchat of file sharing - The Verge - August 2nd, 2017
- Why Facebook Is Withdrawing WhatsApp from the IBM Cloud - Market Realist - August 2nd, 2017
- You need a cloud exit plan, even for AWS, Google, Microsoft, or IBM ... - InfoWorld - August 2nd, 2017
- Cloud Hosting - Cloud Web Hosting Services - Bluehost - August 1st, 2017
- CCS points users of major expiring frameworks towards G-Cloud - PublicTechnology.net - August 1st, 2017