The Art Of The Hybrid Cloud
Cloud computing is insatiably gobbling up more of the backend services that power businesses. But, some companies have apps with privacy, security, and regulatory demands that preclude the cloud. Here’s how to find the right mix of public cloud and private cloud.
VMware increasingly sees itself as the glue in hybrid cloud deployments, as its partnership with AWS is now generally available and the company rolled out a series of advances the preserve and grow its position.
At VMworld 2017, VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger rolled out a series of announcements and highlighted its customer base and partner network.
In a nutshell, VMware sketched out the following:
Here’s a look at what you need to know about VMworld 2017.
VMware’s primary strategy is to be a bridge between private and public clouds, as well as adopt new technologies, such as containers and OpenStack, as they arise, and maintain its customer base — all as it grows businesses, such as software-defined networking tools like NSX.
So far, so good for VMware. The company highlighted companies such as ADP, Cerner, Liberty Mutual, Medtronic, and Western Digital as customers. These customers are also increasing spending as VMware’s quarterly results shine.
Gelsinger sees VMware as a company that can clean up a “messy” app and infrastructure footprint. At VMware’s analyst meeting at VMworld, Gelsinger said referring to enterprise apps and delivering them:
And about the cloud Gelsinger said:
No matter what niche of the data center market VMware targets, the aim is the same: Abstract the complexity and put the moving technology parts together.
Stifel analyst Brad Reback noted:
The general availability of the VMware Cloud on AWS only covers AWS’ West region (Oregon) for now, but the broader rollout is on deck for 2018.
Read also: AWS cements hybrid cloud position with VMware partnership: Here’s what it means
What VMware is really hoping to do is be the enabler that breaks down cloud silos. This graphic tells the tale.
Read also: What is cloud computing? Everything you need to know from public and private cloud to software as a service
And if hybrid cloud deployments are indeed accelerating VMware is in front of integration curve. For now, VMware Cloud on AWS is priced as you go, but VMware will offer one and three-year subscriptions.
Add it up and VMware is clearly embracing hyperscale public clouds. VMware customers get an onramp to AWS and VMware keeps its installed base secure. The limited beta was oversubscribed, so its safe to assume there will be strong demand ahead.
Look for VMware to craft broader deals with Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure on some level in the future.
Read also: Hybrid cloud: The smart person’s guide | Software defined data centers: The smart person’s guide
Speaking of deal making, VMware’s software is increasingly being delivered via integrated appliances.
Lenovo, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and Dell EMC all announced systems to couple VMware and hardware into one package. These hardware partnerships align to give VMware more of a play into high-performance computing.
VMware also announced partnerships with DXC, the combination of CSC and HPE Enterprise Services, as well as Fujitsu.
The general idea behind these partnerships is to offer integrated systems that can use private and public clouds, Cloud Foundry, OpenStack, and naturally, VMware’s own platform.
To VMware, the software defined data center is going to include a bunch of integrated systems.
When it comes to security, VMware remained on message. Gelsinger’s take on security echoed the company’s approach with other areas: Make it simple and integrate. VMware again sees itself as the security linchpin between the private and public clouds. Gelsinger said:
Fundamentally, we the tech industry have failed you, the customer. It is simply too hard, too complex and breaches are growing far too fast.
We need a new approach.
VMware’s focus on cloud security was echoed by a bevy of other partners. Palo Alto Networks said its Next-Generation Security Platform is available to VMware Cloud on AWS customers. The VMware-AWS partnership has allowed a bevy of security software and service integrations.
Fortinet said its FortiGate virtualized security was available for VMware on AWS. In addition, HyTrust outlined a security policy to protect workloads and support VMware Cloud on AWS.
IBM launched storage software dubbed IBM Spectrum Protect Plus to protect data in cloud, virtualized, and data center environments. IBM timed it launch and demonstration for VMworld.
Trend Micro said its Deep Security lineup is available to VMware Cloud customers on AWS. Trend Micro said it is enabling multiple security techniques such as policy application and vulnerability scanning on VMware and AWS.
There were also a bevy of partners outlining wares connected to VMware.
Here’s the quick view:
In addition, VMware’s partnership with AWS cleared the decks for more vendors to participate with products. For instance, Faction is offering managed VMware Cloud services on AWS.
VMware’s positioning for 2017 and 2018 looks as strong as it has ever been. In the end, the hybrid cloud has bounced its way and the company has done well navigating various technology trends as well as a change in ownership via the Dell acquisition of EMC.
Cloud vs. Data Center decisions
Here is the original post:
VMworld 2017: Everything you need to know about VMware’s hybrid cloud strategy – ZDNet
- Programming Lesson Plan: Program Your Partner - September 5th, 2018
- Cloud Computing | Definition of Cloud Computing by Merriam ... - July 26th, 2018
- Cloud computing information, news and tips ... - April 30th, 2018
- Cloud computing - A simple introduction - Explain that Stuff - March 15th, 2018
- Doug H. - Boston Cloud Computing Meetup (Boston, MA) | Meetup - December 16th, 2017
- Cloud computing at Ifes, IFs, and hospitals | RNP - December 16th, 2017
- Cisco and Google Find Mutual Interest in Cloud Computing ... - October 28th, 2017
- How to Invest in Cloud Computing -- The Motley Fool - October 28th, 2017
- What is cloud computing? Everything you need to know now ... - September 19th, 2017
- How The Automotive Industry Is Leveraging Cloud Computing - CXOToday.com - September 7th, 2017
- Huawei ups its bet on cloud computing with broader support for Microsoft apps - GeekWire - September 7th, 2017
- Cloud computing to drive Billabong's omnichannel experience - Chain Store Age - September 6th, 2017
- Cloud Computing Testbed Chameleon Renewed for Second Phase - HPCwire - September 6th, 2017
- The Software Alliance Advances Discussion on India's Cloud Computing Policy - ETAuto.com - September 6th, 2017
- Assessing Alibaba's Cloud Computing Opportunity - Market Realist - Market Realist - September 2nd, 2017
- 3 No-Brainer Stocks to Buy in Cloud Computing - Motley Fool - September 1st, 2017
- Telecom ponders future amid surging cloud computing popularity - TechTarget (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Heads in the cloud: banks inch closer to cloud take-up - Risk.net (subscription) - August 31st, 2017
- Walmart Taps Nvidia for Massive Cloud to Take on Amazon - Fortune - August 31st, 2017
- Guest Commentary: Cloud computing tackles emerging cyber threats - Security Systems News - August 31st, 2017
- It's Only the Early Innings for Cloud Computing - Morningstar.com - August 29th, 2017
- What are the key benefits of cloud computing? - Information Age - August 29th, 2017
- Saudi Telecom Company creates cloud computing giant - ComputerWeekly.com - August 29th, 2017
- Now with VMware and Pivotal, the Cloud Native Computing Foundation is becoming the hub of enterprise tech - GeekWire - August 29th, 2017
- Cloud Computing | HHS.gov - August 27th, 2017
- Oppo, Vivo plan to move cloud storage to India - Economic Times - August 27th, 2017
- Top 2 aspects of cloud computing you need to consi - Accountingweb.com (blog) - August 27th, 2017
- Biz Cloud Computing - Four States Homepage - August 27th, 2017
- Marketo decides to go all-in on cloud computing, and picks Google as its home - GeekWire - August 27th, 2017
- Cloud Computing Confirmed for Travers | TDN | Thoroughbred Daily ... - Thoroughbred Daily News - August 27th, 2017
- Why 2017 Is The Year To Understand Cloud Computing - Nasdaq - August 23rd, 2017
- Microsoft acquires cloud computing firm Cycle Computing to boost ... - The News Minute - August 23rd, 2017
- The Benefits of Multi-Cloud Computing Architectures for MSPs - MSPmentor - August 23rd, 2017
- VMware shares to surge more than 20% because the Amazon cloud threat is overblown: Analyst - CNBC - August 23rd, 2017
- Goldman Sachs just poured $45 million into a company picking up Amazon's slack in the cloud - Yahoo Finance - August 23rd, 2017
- Cloud Computing confirmed for Travers Stakes 2017 - Horse Racing ... - Horse Racing Nation - August 23rd, 2017
- Cloud computing in focus at e-Commerce forum - Oman Tribune - August 21st, 2017
- World's Largest Open Source Cloud Computing Summit to be Hosted in Sydney - Business Wire (press release) - August 21st, 2017
- AT&T, GE and Oracle offer juiciest cloud salaries, new data reveals - Cloud Tech - August 21st, 2017
- Cycle Computing will make Microsoft Azure more appealing to more enterprises - TechRepublic - August 21st, 2017
- Manage containers in cloud computing to prevent sprawl, cut costs - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- Business continuity is the ultimate killer application for cloud - ZDNet - August 19th, 2017
- Thailand urged to opt for cloud computing - The Nation - August 19th, 2017
- Cyberattacks Rain Down on Cloud Computing Infrastructure ... - Bloomberg BNA - August 19th, 2017
- Brown to decide Monday if Cloud Computing runs in the Travers - Horse Racing Nation - August 19th, 2017
- Cloud computing reversal: From 'go away' to 'I can't miss out' - InfoWorld - August 18th, 2017
- Alibaba Stock: Why Cloud Computing Could Be Equivalent to AWS - BNL Finance (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Microsoft Acquires A Cloud Technology Company From Right Under Google And Amazon's Noses - Inc.com - August 18th, 2017
- Alibaba's cloud computing revenue almost doubles - SiliconANGLE News (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Big Data and Cloud Computing Software, Platforms, and Infrastructure 2017 - 2022 - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- Microsoft acquires cloud-computing orchestration vendor Cycle Computing - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Cloud computing decision guide: Breaking down 7 top solutions for healthcare - Healthcare IT News - August 16th, 2017
- Amazon: Earnings Are Not The Holy Grail - Seeking Alpha - August 16th, 2017
- Notes: Cloud Computing still in running for Travers - Albany Times Union - August 14th, 2017
- Assessing the key reasons behind a multi-cloud strategy - Cloud Tech - August 14th, 2017
- Intel runs rule over new data centre storage design - Cloud Tech - August 14th, 2017
- 5 Stocks to Cash In on Cloud Computing - Kiplinger Personal Finance - August 13th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market 2017- Amazon Web Services, Aliyun, Microsoft Azure, IBM and Google Cloud Platform - Perfect Analyst - August 13th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market in Education Sector to Grow at a CAGR of 26% by 2021: Key Vendors are Adobe ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Global Bus Switch IC Market 2017-2021 - Growing Demand for Cloud Computing and IoT - PR Newswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Amazon Web Services chooses its Kubernetes path, joins Cloud ... - GeekWire - August 11th, 2017
- AWS joins the Cloud Native Computing Foundation | TechCrunch - TechCrunch - August 11th, 2017
- Cloud computing security - JD Supra (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market in Education Sector to Grow at a CAGR of 26% by 2021: Driven by the Increasing ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Salesforce Apps Add Functionality to Cloud Computing - Talkin' Cloud - August 10th, 2017
- Cloud job roles soar but salaries not accelerating with it - Cloud Tech - August 9th, 2017
- Microsoft Reorg Reflects Accelerated Cloud Push - Redmondmag.com - August 9th, 2017
- IBM sues to stop former executive from working at cloud computing ... - Westfair Online - August 8th, 2017
- Cisco admits to losing Meraki customer data in 'erroneous policy change' - Cloud Tech - August 8th, 2017
- Cloud computing is becoming more and more important for businesses - Information Age - August 8th, 2017
- Edge computing could push the cloud to the fringe | TechCrunch - TechCrunch - August 5th, 2017
- Cloud computing cybersecurity can stop hacking and ransomware - CNBC - August 4th, 2017
- Top 5: Books about cloud computing - TechRepublic - August 4th, 2017
- MissionOG Exits Cloud Computing Analytics Provider Cloudamize - Markets Insider - August 4th, 2017
- Cloud Computing and Collaborative MBSE Comes to HyperWorks - ENGINEERING.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Cloud Computing in Industrial IoT: Market for Cloud support of IIoT by Software, Platforms, Infrastructure (SaaS ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 1st, 2017
- Cloud Computing Market in Latin America 2016-2020 - Key vendors are Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, IBM ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 1st, 2017
- The dangers of cloud computing: Is your information safe? - NY ... - New York Daily News - July 31st, 2017
- Four in five firms say they avoid running sensitive data in the public cloud - Cloud Tech - July 31st, 2017
- Amazon Miss Sparks Debate: Will Video Pay Off Like Cloud ... - Investor's Business Daily - July 31st, 2017