Sept. 5 Cloud computing lies behind many of todays most popular technologies, from streaming video and music to e-mail and chat services to storing and sharing family photos. Since 2015, theChameleontestbed has helped researchers push the potential of cloud computing even further, finding novel scientific applications and improving security and privacy.
A new grant from the National Science Foundation will extend Chameleons mission for another three years, allowing the project led by University of Chicago with partners at theTexas Advanced Computing Center(TACC), Renaissance Computing Institute (RENCI), and Northwestern University to enter its next phase of cloud computing innovation. Upgrades to hardware and services as well as new features will help scientists rigorously test new cloud computing platforms and networking protocols.
The $10 million renewal will be officially announced at the inauguralChameleon User Meeting, taking place September 13-14 at Argonne National Laboratory.
In phase one we built a testbed, but in phase two were going to transform this testbed into a scientific instrument, saidKate Keahey, Argonne computer scientist, Computation Institute fellow, and Chameleon project PI. Were going to extend the capabilities that allow users to keep a record of their experiments in Chameleon and provide new services that allow them to build more repeatable experiments.
The new features build upon the projects original philosophies of flexibility and transparency, which provided users with a large-scale, ~600-node cloud infrastructure with bare metal reconfiguration privileges. This unique level of access allows researchers to go beyond limited development on existing commercial or scientific clouds, offering a customizable platform to create and test entirely new cloud computing architectures.
In its first phase, this powerful resource supported advanced work in computer science areas such as cybersecurity, OS design and power management. With Chameleon, scientists could realisticallysimulate cyberattacksupon cloud computing systems to improve their defenses, train students tosearch high-resolution telescope imagesfor undiscovered exoplanets, and develop machine learning algorithms that automatically determinethe most energy-efficient task assignment schemesfor large data centers.
Many of these projects benefited from Chameleon features that allow them to extract detailed, precise data about system performance and status during usage. To further support the conduct of reproducible science, the Chameleon team will make it even easier for scientists to gather and use this information.
Everything in the testbed is a recorded event, but right now the information about those events is in various different places, Keahey said. Were going to make it very easy for users to have a record of everything that was happening on the testbed resources that they used, and well also provide services to replay those experiments.
Additional phase two landmarks include new hardware, including additional racks at UChicago and TACC, infusion of highly-contested resources such as GPUs, and Corsa network switches. The new Corsa switches enable experimentation with software-defined networking (SDN) within a Chameleon site as well as extending individual SDN experiments across the wide-area to include resources from either Chameleon site or even from other compatible testbeds, such as NSF GENI.
New hardware will be complemented by new capabilities allowing users to define entirely new classes of experiments. For the second phase, new team members from RENCI with significant expertise developing such capabilities will join the existing Chameleon team based at UChicago, TACC, and Northwestern University.
On the software side, the Chameleon team will package CHI (CHameleon Infrastructure), the software operating Chameleon, based primarily on the open-sourceOpenStackproject to which the University of Chicago team made substantial contributions. Packaging the Chameleon operational model will allow others to create their own experimental clouds easily.
Whether somebody wants to provide a Chameleon resource or create their own experimental testbed, CHI will make it very easy for them Keahey said. It is based on a widely used open source system that is increasingly popular in scientific data centers and thus easy to adopt. Ultimately, we would like to make testbeds for Computer Science research cost-effective to operate.
The project will also look to expand their community through outreach events, including workshops, online tutorials, and Septembers user meeting. In addition to training scientists in the use of Chameleon and gathering feedback for future improvements, these events will also be an opportunity for defining the future of cloud computing science, Keahey said.
We would like to go beyond simply providing resources, and give the community the opportunity to focus on experimental methodology in computer science: how to improve it, how to control it, and how to make experimental computer science less about logistics and more about the science.
Source: Computation Institute & The University of Chicago
See the original post:
Cloud Computing Testbed Chameleon Renewed for Second Phase – HPCwire
- Benefits of cloud computing | IBM Cloud - November 10th, 2018
- Cloud Computing Trends: 2018 State of the Cloud Survey - November 10th, 2018
- What is cloud computing? - LinkedIn - November 5th, 2018
- What is cloud computing? | TechRadar - September 25th, 2018
- Cloud Computing 2nd Edition: 2018: Mr. Ray Rafaels ... - September 23rd, 2018
- Cloud Computing - Articles & Whitepapers | Oracle Technology ... - September 23rd, 2018
- Cloud Computing: Theory and Practice: Dan C. Marinescu ... - September 23rd, 2018
- Programming Lesson Plan: Program Your Partner - September 5th, 2018
- Cloud Computing | Definition of Cloud Computing by Merriam ... - July 26th, 2018
- Cloud computing information, news and tips ... - April 30th, 2018
- Cloud computing - A simple introduction - Explain that Stuff - March 15th, 2018
- Doug H. - Boston Cloud Computing Meetup (Boston, MA) | Meetup - December 16th, 2017
- Cloud computing at Ifes, IFs, and hospitals | RNP - December 16th, 2017
- Cisco and Google Find Mutual Interest in Cloud Computing ... - October 28th, 2017
- How to Invest in Cloud Computing -- The Motley Fool - October 28th, 2017
- What is cloud computing? Everything you need to know now ... - September 19th, 2017
- How The Automotive Industry Is Leveraging Cloud Computing - CXOToday.com - September 7th, 2017
- Huawei ups its bet on cloud computing with broader support for Microsoft apps - GeekWire - September 7th, 2017
- Cloud computing to drive Billabong's omnichannel experience - Chain Store Age - September 6th, 2017
- The Software Alliance Advances Discussion on India's Cloud Computing Policy - ETAuto.com - September 6th, 2017
- Assessing Alibaba's Cloud Computing Opportunity - Market Realist - Market Realist - September 2nd, 2017
- 3 No-Brainer Stocks to Buy in Cloud Computing - Motley Fool - September 1st, 2017
- Telecom ponders future amid surging cloud computing popularity - TechTarget (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Heads in the cloud: banks inch closer to cloud take-up - Risk.net (subscription) - August 31st, 2017
- Walmart Taps Nvidia for Massive Cloud to Take on Amazon - Fortune - August 31st, 2017
- Guest Commentary: Cloud computing tackles emerging cyber threats - Security Systems News - August 31st, 2017
- It's Only the Early Innings for Cloud Computing - Morningstar.com - August 29th, 2017
- What are the key benefits of cloud computing? - Information Age - August 29th, 2017
- VMworld 2017: Everything you need to know about VMware's hybrid cloud strategy - ZDNet - August 29th, 2017
- Saudi Telecom Company creates cloud computing giant - ComputerWeekly.com - August 29th, 2017
- Now with VMware and Pivotal, the Cloud Native Computing Foundation is becoming the hub of enterprise tech - GeekWire - August 29th, 2017
- Cloud Computing | HHS.gov - August 27th, 2017
- Oppo, Vivo plan to move cloud storage to India - Economic Times - August 27th, 2017
- Top 2 aspects of cloud computing you need to consi - Accountingweb.com (blog) - August 27th, 2017
- Biz Cloud Computing - Four States Homepage - August 27th, 2017
- Marketo decides to go all-in on cloud computing, and picks Google as its home - GeekWire - August 27th, 2017
- Cloud Computing Confirmed for Travers | TDN | Thoroughbred Daily ... - Thoroughbred Daily News - August 27th, 2017
- Why 2017 Is The Year To Understand Cloud Computing - Nasdaq - August 23rd, 2017
- Microsoft acquires cloud computing firm Cycle Computing to boost ... - The News Minute - August 23rd, 2017
- The Benefits of Multi-Cloud Computing Architectures for MSPs - MSPmentor - August 23rd, 2017
- VMware shares to surge more than 20% because the Amazon cloud threat is overblown: Analyst - CNBC - August 23rd, 2017
- Goldman Sachs just poured $45 million into a company picking up Amazon's slack in the cloud - Yahoo Finance - August 23rd, 2017
- Cloud Computing confirmed for Travers Stakes 2017 - Horse Racing ... - Horse Racing Nation - August 23rd, 2017
- Cloud computing in focus at e-Commerce forum - Oman Tribune - August 21st, 2017
- World's Largest Open Source Cloud Computing Summit to be Hosted in Sydney - Business Wire (press release) - August 21st, 2017
- AT&T, GE and Oracle offer juiciest cloud salaries, new data reveals - Cloud Tech - August 21st, 2017
- Cycle Computing will make Microsoft Azure more appealing to more enterprises - TechRepublic - August 21st, 2017
- Manage containers in cloud computing to prevent sprawl, cut costs - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- Business continuity is the ultimate killer application for cloud - ZDNet - August 19th, 2017
- Thailand urged to opt for cloud computing - The Nation - August 19th, 2017
- Cyberattacks Rain Down on Cloud Computing Infrastructure ... - Bloomberg BNA - August 19th, 2017
- Brown to decide Monday if Cloud Computing runs in the Travers - Horse Racing Nation - August 19th, 2017
- Cloud computing reversal: From 'go away' to 'I can't miss out' - InfoWorld - August 18th, 2017
- Alibaba Stock: Why Cloud Computing Could Be Equivalent to AWS - BNL Finance (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Microsoft Acquires A Cloud Technology Company From Right Under Google And Amazon's Noses - Inc.com - August 18th, 2017
- Alibaba's cloud computing revenue almost doubles - SiliconANGLE News (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Big Data and Cloud Computing Software, Platforms, and Infrastructure 2017 - 2022 - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- Microsoft acquires cloud-computing orchestration vendor Cycle Computing - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Cloud computing decision guide: Breaking down 7 top solutions for healthcare - Healthcare IT News - August 16th, 2017
- Amazon: Earnings Are Not The Holy Grail - Seeking Alpha - August 16th, 2017
- Notes: Cloud Computing still in running for Travers - Albany Times Union - August 14th, 2017
- Assessing the key reasons behind a multi-cloud strategy - Cloud Tech - August 14th, 2017
- Intel runs rule over new data centre storage design - Cloud Tech - August 14th, 2017
- 5 Stocks to Cash In on Cloud Computing - Kiplinger Personal Finance - August 13th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market 2017- Amazon Web Services, Aliyun, Microsoft Azure, IBM and Google Cloud Platform - Perfect Analyst - August 13th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market in Education Sector to Grow at a CAGR of 26% by 2021: Key Vendors are Adobe ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Global Bus Switch IC Market 2017-2021 - Growing Demand for Cloud Computing and IoT - PR Newswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Amazon Web Services chooses its Kubernetes path, joins Cloud ... - GeekWire - August 11th, 2017
- AWS joins the Cloud Native Computing Foundation | TechCrunch - TechCrunch - August 11th, 2017
- Cloud computing security - JD Supra (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market in Education Sector to Grow at a CAGR of 26% by 2021: Driven by the Increasing ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Salesforce Apps Add Functionality to Cloud Computing - Talkin' Cloud - August 10th, 2017
- Cloud job roles soar but salaries not accelerating with it - Cloud Tech - August 9th, 2017
- Microsoft Reorg Reflects Accelerated Cloud Push - Redmondmag.com - August 9th, 2017
- IBM sues to stop former executive from working at cloud computing ... - Westfair Online - August 8th, 2017
- Cisco admits to losing Meraki customer data in 'erroneous policy change' - Cloud Tech - August 8th, 2017
- Cloud computing is becoming more and more important for businesses - Information Age - August 8th, 2017
- Edge computing could push the cloud to the fringe | TechCrunch - TechCrunch - August 5th, 2017
- Cloud computing cybersecurity can stop hacking and ransomware - CNBC - August 4th, 2017
- Top 5: Books about cloud computing - TechRepublic - August 4th, 2017