The global cloud services market is expected to grow from 18% annually to $246.8 billion this year, according toGartner’s latest estimates. Wikibon expects enterprise cloud spending to grow at a compound annual growth run rate of 16% between 2016 and 2026.
Those figures make the cloud computing market a lucrative one for tech investors, but it’s tough to narrow down the best buys in the industry. Today, I’ll focus on three “no brainer” stocks in that market, which will benefit from the growth of the cloud computing market over the next few years.
Source: Getty Images.
Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) is the 800-pound gorilla of cloud computing, since its AWS (Amazon Web Services) platform is the biggest cloud infrastructure service in the world. AWS stores data and hosts content for companies, and its tools enable developers to create and run cloud-based apps. It added over 400 new tools to AWS in the last quarter alone.
During thatquarter, AWS’ revenue rose 42% annually to $4.1 billion and accounted for 11% of Amazon’s top line. That gives the segment a run rate of $14.5 billion over the past four quarters. Wikibon expects AWS to generate $43 billion in annual revenues by fiscal 2022 — which would account for 8.2% of all cloud spending worldwide.
AWS’ operating profit rose 28% to $916 million last quarter, compared to just $628 million in operating income for the entire company. Therefore, the growth of the higher-margin AWS unit easily offsets bottom line declines at its North American and International marketplace businesses — which are using low-margin and loss-leading strategies to lock in customers. That virtuous cycle enables Amazon to continue dominating both the cloud computing and e-commerce markets.
Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) rules the software-as-a-service market with consumer-facing products like Office 365, Dynamics CRM (customer relationship management), and Skype. Its cloud platform, Azure, is the second largest cloud infrastructure platform in the world after AWS. Microsoft reported that all these services generated a “commercial cloud” annualized run rate of$18.9 billion last quarter.
That puts Microsoft on track to exceed CEO Satya Nadella’s goal of hitting $20 billion in annual cloud revenues by the end of fiscal 2018. That figure would represent nearly a fifth of its projected revenue for the year, and reduce its overall dependence on traditional Windows licenses.
Microsoft missed the shift toward mobile operating systems, and itrecently killed off Windows Phone. But it’s clawing its way back in the mobile market with mobile versions of its flagship apps (Office, Outlook, OneDrive, and OneNote) for iOS and Android. By tethering its cloud-based ecosystem to those two operating systems, Microsoft can remain relevant in the “mobile-first, cloud-first” market which Nadella highlighted in hisfirst email to Microsoft employees.
Salesforce (NYSE:CRM) is thelargest provider of cloud-based CRM services in the world. These services help companies retain and organize relationships with customers. Salesforce controlled 18.1% of that market in 2016, according to IDC, while its closest rivals — Oracle and SAP– respectively controlled just 9.4% and 7.2%.
Salesforce is still firing on all cylinders. Its revenue rose 26% to $8.39 billion last year, and analysts anticipate 24% growth this year. Its non-GAAP earnings also jumped 35% last year, and Wall Street expects 30% growth this year. However, the bears often note that Salesforce isn’t consistently profitable on a GAAP basis. They also point out that Microsoft’s Dynamics is gaining ground in the CRM market with the support of Outlook, Skype, Azure, LinkedIn, and other applications.
Nonetheless, Salesforce remains the go-to vendor for CRM solutions, and new features like Einstein — which uses AI to crunch customer data into business predictions — should further widen its moat against the competition.
Amazon, Microsoft, and Salesforce are all smart ways to invest in the growing cloud computing market, but investors shouldn’t ignore the risks. Amazon and Salesforce’s valuations are high relative to their peers, so a market downturn could sink both stocks. Microsoft’s cloud growth is impressive, but those investments are also weighing down its bottom line growth.Investors should weigh these risks against the potential rewards to see if these cloud-oriented stocks are right for their portfolios.
Teresa Kersten is an employee of LinkedIn and is a member of The Motley Fool’s board of directors. LinkedIn is owned by Microsoft. Leo Sun owns shares of Amazon. The Motley Fool owns shares of and recommends Amazon and Gartner. The Motley Fool owns shares of Oracle. The Motley Fool recommends Salesforce.com. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.
Follow this link:
3 No-Brainer Stocks to Buy in Cloud Computing – Motley Fool
- Programming Lesson Plan: Program Your Partner - September 5th, 2018
- Cloud Computing | Definition of Cloud Computing by Merriam ... - July 26th, 2018
- Cloud computing information, news and tips ... - April 30th, 2018
- Cloud computing - A simple introduction - Explain that Stuff - March 15th, 2018
- Doug H. - Boston Cloud Computing Meetup (Boston, MA) | Meetup - December 16th, 2017
- Cloud computing at Ifes, IFs, and hospitals | RNP - December 16th, 2017
- Cisco and Google Find Mutual Interest in Cloud Computing ... - October 28th, 2017
- How to Invest in Cloud Computing -- The Motley Fool - October 28th, 2017
- What is cloud computing? Everything you need to know now ... - September 19th, 2017
- How The Automotive Industry Is Leveraging Cloud Computing - CXOToday.com - September 7th, 2017
- Huawei ups its bet on cloud computing with broader support for Microsoft apps - GeekWire - September 7th, 2017
- Cloud computing to drive Billabong's omnichannel experience - Chain Store Age - September 6th, 2017
- Cloud Computing Testbed Chameleon Renewed for Second Phase - HPCwire - September 6th, 2017
- The Software Alliance Advances Discussion on India's Cloud Computing Policy - ETAuto.com - September 6th, 2017
- Assessing Alibaba's Cloud Computing Opportunity - Market Realist - Market Realist - September 2nd, 2017
- Telecom ponders future amid surging cloud computing popularity - TechTarget (blog) - September 1st, 2017
- Heads in the cloud: banks inch closer to cloud take-up - Risk.net (subscription) - August 31st, 2017
- Walmart Taps Nvidia for Massive Cloud to Take on Amazon - Fortune - August 31st, 2017
- Guest Commentary: Cloud computing tackles emerging cyber threats - Security Systems News - August 31st, 2017
- It's Only the Early Innings for Cloud Computing - Morningstar.com - August 29th, 2017
- What are the key benefits of cloud computing? - Information Age - August 29th, 2017
- VMworld 2017: Everything you need to know about VMware's hybrid cloud strategy - ZDNet - August 29th, 2017
- Saudi Telecom Company creates cloud computing giant - ComputerWeekly.com - August 29th, 2017
- Now with VMware and Pivotal, the Cloud Native Computing Foundation is becoming the hub of enterprise tech - GeekWire - August 29th, 2017
- Cloud Computing | HHS.gov - August 27th, 2017
- Oppo, Vivo plan to move cloud storage to India - Economic Times - August 27th, 2017
- Top 2 aspects of cloud computing you need to consi - Accountingweb.com (blog) - August 27th, 2017
- Biz Cloud Computing - Four States Homepage - August 27th, 2017
- Marketo decides to go all-in on cloud computing, and picks Google as its home - GeekWire - August 27th, 2017
- Cloud Computing Confirmed for Travers | TDN | Thoroughbred Daily ... - Thoroughbred Daily News - August 27th, 2017
- Why 2017 Is The Year To Understand Cloud Computing - Nasdaq - August 23rd, 2017
- Microsoft acquires cloud computing firm Cycle Computing to boost ... - The News Minute - August 23rd, 2017
- The Benefits of Multi-Cloud Computing Architectures for MSPs - MSPmentor - August 23rd, 2017
- VMware shares to surge more than 20% because the Amazon cloud threat is overblown: Analyst - CNBC - August 23rd, 2017
- Goldman Sachs just poured $45 million into a company picking up Amazon's slack in the cloud - Yahoo Finance - August 23rd, 2017
- Cloud Computing confirmed for Travers Stakes 2017 - Horse Racing ... - Horse Racing Nation - August 23rd, 2017
- Cloud computing in focus at e-Commerce forum - Oman Tribune - August 21st, 2017
- World's Largest Open Source Cloud Computing Summit to be Hosted in Sydney - Business Wire (press release) - August 21st, 2017
- AT&T, GE and Oracle offer juiciest cloud salaries, new data reveals - Cloud Tech - August 21st, 2017
- Cycle Computing will make Microsoft Azure more appealing to more enterprises - TechRepublic - August 21st, 2017
- Manage containers in cloud computing to prevent sprawl, cut costs - TechTarget - August 19th, 2017
- Business continuity is the ultimate killer application for cloud - ZDNet - August 19th, 2017
- Thailand urged to opt for cloud computing - The Nation - August 19th, 2017
- Cyberattacks Rain Down on Cloud Computing Infrastructure ... - Bloomberg BNA - August 19th, 2017
- Brown to decide Monday if Cloud Computing runs in the Travers - Horse Racing Nation - August 19th, 2017
- Cloud computing reversal: From 'go away' to 'I can't miss out' - InfoWorld - August 18th, 2017
- Alibaba Stock: Why Cloud Computing Could Be Equivalent to AWS - BNL Finance (press release) (registration) (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Microsoft Acquires A Cloud Technology Company From Right Under Google And Amazon's Noses - Inc.com - August 18th, 2017
- Alibaba's cloud computing revenue almost doubles - SiliconANGLE News (blog) - August 18th, 2017
- Big Data and Cloud Computing Software, Platforms, and Infrastructure 2017 - 2022 - Markets Insider - August 18th, 2017
- Microsoft acquires cloud-computing orchestration vendor Cycle Computing - ZDNet - August 16th, 2017
- Cloud computing decision guide: Breaking down 7 top solutions for healthcare - Healthcare IT News - August 16th, 2017
- Amazon: Earnings Are Not The Holy Grail - Seeking Alpha - August 16th, 2017
- Notes: Cloud Computing still in running for Travers - Albany Times Union - August 14th, 2017
- Assessing the key reasons behind a multi-cloud strategy - Cloud Tech - August 14th, 2017
- Intel runs rule over new data centre storage design - Cloud Tech - August 14th, 2017
- 5 Stocks to Cash In on Cloud Computing - Kiplinger Personal Finance - August 13th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market 2017- Amazon Web Services, Aliyun, Microsoft Azure, IBM and Google Cloud Platform - Perfect Analyst - August 13th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market in Education Sector to Grow at a CAGR of 26% by 2021: Key Vendors are Adobe ... - PR Newswire (press release) - August 12th, 2017
- Global Bus Switch IC Market 2017-2021 - Growing Demand for Cloud Computing and IoT - PR Newswire (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Amazon Web Services chooses its Kubernetes path, joins Cloud ... - GeekWire - August 11th, 2017
- AWS joins the Cloud Native Computing Foundation | TechCrunch - TechCrunch - August 11th, 2017
- Cloud computing security - JD Supra (press release) - August 11th, 2017
- Global Cloud Computing Market in Education Sector to Grow at a CAGR of 26% by 2021: Driven by the Increasing ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- Salesforce Apps Add Functionality to Cloud Computing - Talkin' Cloud - August 10th, 2017
- Cloud job roles soar but salaries not accelerating with it - Cloud Tech - August 9th, 2017
- Microsoft Reorg Reflects Accelerated Cloud Push - Redmondmag.com - August 9th, 2017
- IBM sues to stop former executive from working at cloud computing ... - Westfair Online - August 8th, 2017
- Cisco admits to losing Meraki customer data in 'erroneous policy change' - Cloud Tech - August 8th, 2017
- Cloud computing is becoming more and more important for businesses - Information Age - August 8th, 2017
- Edge computing could push the cloud to the fringe | TechCrunch - TechCrunch - August 5th, 2017
- Cloud computing cybersecurity can stop hacking and ransomware - CNBC - August 4th, 2017
- Top 5: Books about cloud computing - TechRepublic - August 4th, 2017
- MissionOG Exits Cloud Computing Analytics Provider Cloudamize - Markets Insider - August 4th, 2017
- Cloud Computing and Collaborative MBSE Comes to HyperWorks - ENGINEERING.com - August 3rd, 2017
- Cloud Computing in Industrial IoT: Market for Cloud support of IIoT by Software, Platforms, Infrastructure (SaaS ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 1st, 2017
- Cloud Computing Market in Latin America 2016-2020 - Key vendors are Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft, IBM ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 1st, 2017
- The dangers of cloud computing: Is your information safe? - NY ... - New York Daily News - July 31st, 2017
- Four in five firms say they avoid running sensitive data in the public cloud - Cloud Tech - July 31st, 2017
- Amazon Miss Sparks Debate: Will Video Pay Off Like Cloud ... - Investor's Business Daily - July 31st, 2017