BENGALURU: When 32-year-old Harshad Gawde first invested in bitcoins in 2013, he couldn’t have expected the returns from it to sponsor an all-India tour, beginning with a six-month trip through Roopkund hills in Uttarakhand. He will be living off $15 daily payouts from that investment.
“I invested in bitcoin when one coin was worth Rs 28,000, one-tenth of what it is today,” the Mumbai-based Gawde said. On August 30, one bitcoin was worth Rs 2,91,822its value skyrocketing since Donald Trump’s election as the US president in November and spawning an industry of auxiliary services for people rushing in to find gold in the virtual currency.
Bitcoin is a decentralised, paperless cryptocurrency invented by Satoshi Nakamoto, an alias for an anonymous programmer in 2009.
Unlike traditional currencies, crypto coins are not produced by a central authority like a bank or a consortium. It is a mathematical formula. These coins are produced by massively souped-up computers, called ‘mining rigs’, that solve complex math problems to obtain these virtual currencies. A ledger records all the transactions. A typical crypto currency mining rig runs round-the-clock, its performance depending on the high-end graphic cards and cooling systems used not an inexpensive proposition at an average Rs 3 lakh a machine. Even so, several online vendors as well as individuals are investing in these machines to mine crypto currencies.
A Chandigarh-based online vendor, who calls himself Letsmine, is one such ‘miner.’ He has built and sold 90 mining rigs through eBay at a base price of Rs 3,00,000 each.
Letsmine has been selling rigs for the past one year, assuring customers that the investment can be recovered in 8-9 months.
Not just building rigs, “we even host rig of others at a monthly cost. We will install your rig at our location in a temperature-controlled room and charge monthly,” said a spokesperson for Delhi-based Gadgets Deal India, which also sells on eBay.
Bitcoins saw explosive growth in India after Prime Minister Narendra Modi recalled high-denomination banknotes in November. Indian bitcoin exchanges have received a lot of traction in the past few months with more than 1 million active crypto-currency users.
“We recently crossed 100,000 active users on our platform, and are adding 10,000-20,000 users a month,” said Hesham Rehman, chief executive of bitcoin exchange Bitxoxo.
The rise in popularity of cryptocurrencies has enabled techies like Saket Nalegaonkar to build services around it. The 28-year-old Internet-of-Things engineer spends his spare time travelling around the country helping enthusiasts set up rigs for mining.
“I saw an opportunity in building rigs,” he said. “So far, I have helped more than 10 people in India build rigs and charge them on a permonth basis for upgrade and maintenance.” Kumar Badgujar, a management graduate, had other ideas for mining crypto-currencies. The 26-year-old rewired five computers in his college lab, making them work in tandem to mine ethereum (another crypto-currency that is on the rise).
“Assimilate the computing powers of five personal computers helps me mine faster,” said Badgujar, who has been clustered mining the past four months to produce both bitcoins and ethereum.
CLOUD MINING Some companies Hashflare, Genesis and Bitconnect among them have even set up so-called farms to collectively mine crypto currencies for individuals unable to assemble their own machines, for a fee. “Cloud-mining is the in-thing now,” said Gwade, who runs a bitcoin support website, bitcoinsupport24* 7, that receives about 10 email enquiries a day related to investments in bitcoin.
Individuals can now spend as low as $2 to start with for mining, and these companies assure fixed returns every month. “These give out fixed payouts… which is what I am going to spend during my trip,” Gawde said.
Given the massive surge in the value of crypto-currencies, real-estate developers, too, are seeking a piece of the action.
Bengaluru-based Nalegaonkar, who helps set up rigs for mining, has been contracted by real estate developers to convert entire floors into mining farms. In the last two months, “I have gotten contracts from two real estate developers to create in-house mining farms in Indore and New Delhi,” he said.
The lack of regulations, though, has cast a shadow over the bitcoin universe.
“Over the last six months, the (Reserve Bank of India) has issued several statements warning consumers about financial and regulatory risks associated with virtual currencies,” said Kannan Sivasubramanian, co-chief of research and advisory firm Aranca.
“Considering the rise in usage of such currencies across the world and in India, the government should look at putting a policy framework in place immediately.”
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price, Chart, Info | CoinGecko - November 17th, 2018
- Bitcoinker - The Best Bitcoin Faucet, Claim Every 5 Minutes! - November 17th, 2018
- Africa Dominates P2P Bitcoin Exchange Paxful With $64 Million ... - November 10th, 2018
- Bitcoin Dips Below $7,000, Hitting Lowest In 2 Weeks - August 8th, 2018
- Things you need to know Bitcoin.com - July 29th, 2018
- Bitcoin - Bitcoin Price Live, BTC Value, Mining, BTC to USD ... - July 10th, 2018
- Digital Currencies and Financial Inclusion: Revisited | CGAP - May 19th, 2018
- Bitcoin vs. Electronic Money: Digital But Different | CGAP - May 19th, 2018
- Must I pay tax this year if I transfer bitcoin from ... - April 4th, 2018
- Will a 1099-B form work best for reporting bitcoin ... - April 4th, 2018
- Bitcoin (BTC) price: News & Live Chart - Trading Analysis ... - March 29th, 2018
- Bitcoin USD - BTCUSD Overview - MarketWatch - February 28th, 2018
- Buy Bitcoin IRA | Bitcoin IRA Investment & Retirement Account ... - February 28th, 2018
- Bitcoin Fees Have Become Infeasible - Bitcoin News - December 23rd, 2017
- Bitcoin's incredible surge takes it above $9,500 - Nov. 27 ... - November 27th, 2017
- Warning Signs About Another Giant Bitcoin Exchange - November 23rd, 2017
- What Is Bitcoin, and How Does It Work? - The New York Times - October 6th, 2017
- Why Beanie Babies make for a better investment than bitcoin - MarketWatch - September 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin's price hit $5000 last week. It's still a dumb investment - Los Angeles Times - September 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin dips another $300 after China's cryptocurrency crackdown - CNBC - September 5th, 2017
- IRS Eyes Profits From Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash Investments - Investopedia - September 5th, 2017
- Sequoia, IDG to Invest in China Bitcoin Mining Giant - Bloomberg - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Price Drops By Over $250 as Crypto Markets Lose Billions - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin $5,000: Currency Hits New Record High | Fortune.com - Fortune - September 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Drops Below $5000 as Crypto Markets See $13 Billion Sell-Off - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2017
- Searching for the future of currency, major companies try Bitcoin technology - PBS NewsHour - September 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Mempool is Empty and High Transaction Fees are no Longer Required - newsBTC - September 2nd, 2017
- Literally just one huge chart showing bitcoin's incredible rise to $4800 - MarketWatch - September 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin's nearly five-fold climb in 2017 looks very similar to tech ... - CNBC - September 2nd, 2017
- BTC-e's Big Claim: Bitcoin Withdrawals to Begin Tomorrow - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2017
- As bitcoin surges in price and popularity, so do the complaints - CNBC - August 31st, 2017
- Why Miners Are Mining Bitcoin Cash and Losing Money Doing It - CoinDesk - August 30th, 2017
- Bitcoin jumps nearly 70% for August to record high, offshoot 'bitcoin cash' falls to more than one-week low - CNBC - August 30th, 2017
- Bitcoin Foundation seeks legal protection from US currency regulation - The Independent - August 30th, 2017
- Bitcoin's epic rise leaves late-1990s tech bubble in the dust - Economic Times - August 30th, 2017
- 99Bitcoins | Buy Bitcoin, Bitcoin Guides & Reviews for ... - August 29th, 2017
- Dark web finds bitcoin increasingly more of a problem than a help, tries other digital currencies - CNBC - August 29th, 2017
- Bitcoin Meets Zcash: Developers Test Tool for Trustless Trades - CoinDesk - August 29th, 2017
- Russian Regulator: Bitcoin Should Be Limited to 'Qualified Investors' - CoinDesk - August 29th, 2017
- As bitcoin and rivals surge, so too have complaints to the CFPB - MarketWatch - August 29th, 2017
- Is Bitcoin the New Gold? - TheStreet.com - August 28th, 2017
- This Swedish guy bet all his life savings on bitcoin and it made him 100 times richer - Business Insider Nordic - August 28th, 2017
- How To Gain Bitcoin Exposure Inside Of Your Traditional Brokerage Account - Seeking Alpha - August 28th, 2017
- Value of all digital currencies hits record around $160 billion as ... - MarketWatch - August 28th, 2017
- Why Motherboard Is Capitalizing 'Bitcoin' Again - Motherboard - August 28th, 2017
- New Bitcoin.com Charts: The Bitcoin Ecosystem at a Glance - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 27th, 2017
- Expert Predicts Bitcoin Will be Worth up to $20000 in the Next Three Years - Futurism - August 27th, 2017
- Does Bitcoin Have a Mining Monopoly Problem? - Fortune - August 27th, 2017
- Bitcoin poised to challenge record after recovering from correction - MarketWatch - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin Prices Rise But Fall Short of All-Time High - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin and Artificial Intelligence Can Help Fight Sex Trafficking ... - Fortune - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin Investors, Beware: The IRS Is Coming for Your Vast Riches - TheStreet.com - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin's Lightning Network Moves Closer to Compatibility - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 26th, 2017
- A sketchy Satoshi has popped up to promote his new blockchain - The Verge - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin And Why You Think You're Right (Even When You're Wrong) - Seeking Alpha - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin and Ether rise, helping take crypto space above $150 billion market cap - MarketWatch - August 23rd, 2017
- Bitcoin Prices Are Up Over $100 Already Today - CoinDesk - August 23rd, 2017
- MGT Capital Raises $2.4 Million to Expand Bitcoin Mining Operation - CoinDesk - August 23rd, 2017
- Hackers Swipe Bitcoin by Stealing Your Cell Phone Number First - Inc.com - August 23rd, 2017
- Bitcoin rebounds after briefly entering correction territory - MarketWatch - August 22nd, 2017
- Here's Why Bitcoin Rose More than $1000 in Two Months - Futurism - August 22nd, 2017
- The IRS Has Special Software to Find Bitcoin Tax Cheats - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Prices Dip Below $4000 to Hit 7-Day Low - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2017
- China's two biggest bitcoin exchanges helped themselves to $150 million in idle client funds - Quartz - August 22nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Analysts Compete for the Highest Price Forecast - Bloomberg - August 21st, 2017
- A Bitcoin Law for Every State? Interest and Animosity Greet Model US Regulation - CoinDesk - August 21st, 2017
- Take Two: Bitcoin Miner BTCS Announces New Merger Deal - CoinDesk - August 21st, 2017
- Bitcoin About To Burst - Seeking Alpha - August 21st, 2017
- 10 Bitcoin Wallet Apps You Should Consider Using Today - HuffPost - August 20th, 2017
- Bitcoin-accepting shops leave cookie trail that crumbles anonymity - The Register - August 20th, 2017
- Bitcoin Trades Sideways as Bitcoin Cash Price Drops to $800 - CoinDesk - August 20th, 2017
- 'Bitcoin cash' surges 40% in single day as investors bet on its faster processing speeds - CNBC - August 19th, 2017
- 'Bitcoin cash' soars to record high above $900 as 'mining' profits jump - CNBC - August 19th, 2017
- Photos: Inside one of the world's largest bitcoin mines - Quartz - August 18th, 2017
- Bitcoin Surged to a New High Adding $17 Billion in Just Over a Week - Fortune - August 18th, 2017
- Another major country joins China and Japan in cracking down on bitcoin exchanges - CNBC - August 18th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Breaks Price Doldrums to Push Past $400 - CoinDesk - August 18th, 2017
- Poloniex and Breadwallet Will Support Bitcoin Cash Transfers - The Merkle - August 14th, 2017
- Bitcoin Price Flies To More Than $4100 Over Weekend - PYMNTS.com - August 14th, 2017
- Why is Bitcoin worth more than gold? - Independent Online - August 14th, 2017