Last night, The Verge and at least three other outlets received an email from someone claiming to be Satoshi Nakamoto, the mysterious inventor of bitcoin. The email we received was brief and to the point: I met with the SEC yesterday. I am ready to talk.
The individual declined to give his legal name, but said recent leaks had forced him to speak to the press, even as he intended to remain anonymous. At the same time, he claimed that various agencies in the government, including the SEC, IRS, and FBI were aware of his true identity. The government knows who I am, and thats the way it should be, he said in a call with The Verge. The public doesnt know, and Im going to have it remain that way.
But in the emails and conversations that followed, it became clear that the would-be Satoshis primary purpose was to promote a new blockchain detailed at CoinProject.org and significant doubts emerged about whether he was in fact Bitcoins mysterious creator, or simply a scammer hoping to draw attention to a speculative cryptocurrency.
While the man offered significant detail on Coin, he was unable to provide the kind of evidence that would be necessary to definitively prove his identity as Satoshi. He declined to sign a message with a PGP key that is linked to Satoshis online persona, did not demonstrate access to old email addresses (which, to be fair, have largely been compromised), and most importantly, would not move bitcoins that are known to belong to the real Satoshi. He claimed that, on leaving the project in 2010, he had deleted all the private keys linked to Satoshi, hoping to destroy any evidence of his role in Bitcoins origin. As a result, it was impossible to present any cryptographic proof of his identity.
The evidence he did present was extensive, but every piece of it was already available from previous sources. In one email, he sent a copy of the two earliest known instances of the bitcoin protocol, alpha versions 0.1.0 and 0.1.3, both of which are believed to have been coded and compiled by Satoshi himself. But those versions were shared widely by Nakamoto at the time of release, and are already freely available from the Satoshi Nakamoto Institute.
This ostensible Satoshi also presented screenshots of emails between him and cryptographer Wei Dai, who is often named as the creator of a precursor to modern cryptocurrency. The emails were dated to August 2008, showing Satoshi writing from his anonymousspeech.com account to talk cryptocurrency protocols with Dai during a time when the Bitcoin protocol was still in active development. But like the alpha versions, those emails are already publicly available. They were published in a blog post in 2014, as part of a larger argument about whether cryptographer Nick Szabo was the true Satoshi.
The man said he would reveal further proof of his identity today, along with further details on the new blockchain project. However, he abruptly cut off communication, and did not respond to further emails or calls.
Other claims made by this Satoshi have also proven hard to pin down. In one email, he claimed prominent Bitcoin investor Tim Draper had met with the SEC as part of the process. Reached by The Verge, Draper said simply, he is a fake. In a later tweet, Draper acknowledged he had been contacted by a Satoshi fake.
He was very convincing and wasted a lot of my time, Draper wrote. Could have been much worse.
It would not be the first time a Satoshi claim has fallen through. In 2014, Newsweek identified model-train enthusiast Dorian Nakamoto as the Bitcoin creator in a widely disputed article that spurred a lawsuit from Dorian himself. In 2015, Craig Wright also made a contested claim to have invented Bitcoin. It later became clear that he had made a multi-million dollar deal with a Canadian peer-to-peer payment startup premised on his ability to prove that he was the inventor of Bitcoin.
This latest iteration of Satoshi-spotting comes at a time when ICO madness has reached a fever pitch. In 2014, it was undesirable, even perceived as potentially dangerous, to be identified as Bitcoins creator. Since late 2015, it has been seen as potentially quite lucrative. With no end in sight for the cryptocurrency hype, theres a good chance well continue to see more Satoshis emerge.
Correction: An earlier version of this article stated that Tim Draper denied ever meeting the founder of CoinProject.org. In fact, Draper simply wrote, he is a fake. We have updated with a further statement from Draper. The Verge regrets the error.
View original post here:
A sketchy Satoshi has popped up to promote his new blockchain – The Verge
- Bitcoin Price Today - Live Bitcoin Value - Charts & Market ... - March 16th, 2019
- Suite of Crypto Services to Leverage Nasdaq Framework ... - March 16th, 2019
- Bitcoin | Definition, Mining, & Facts | Britannica.com - January 13th, 2019
- News - Bitcoin News - Page 952 - January 6th, 2019
- Bitcoin | Bitcoin Price | Bitcoin News | BTC | Info.Binance.com - December 24th, 2018
- Bitcoin Technical Analysis - FXStreet - December 20th, 2018
- Bitcoincharts | Charts - December 20th, 2018
- Bitcoin Crypto-Economics Index - coindesk.com - November 29th, 2018
- Bitcoin (BTC) Price, Chart, Info | CoinGecko - November 17th, 2018
- Bitcoinker - The Best Bitcoin Faucet, Claim Every 5 Minutes! - November 17th, 2018
- Africa Dominates P2P Bitcoin Exchange Paxful With $64 Million ... - November 10th, 2018
- Bitcoin Dips Below $7,000, Hitting Lowest In 2 Weeks - August 8th, 2018
- Things you need to know Bitcoin.com - July 29th, 2018
- Bitcoin - Bitcoin Price Live, BTC Value, Mining, BTC to USD ... - July 10th, 2018
- Digital Currencies and Financial Inclusion: Revisited | CGAP - May 19th, 2018
- Bitcoin vs. Electronic Money: Digital But Different | CGAP - May 19th, 2018
- Must I pay tax this year if I transfer bitcoin from ... - April 4th, 2018
- Will a 1099-B form work best for reporting bitcoin ... - April 4th, 2018
- Bitcoin (BTC) price: News & Live Chart - Trading Analysis ... - March 29th, 2018
- Bitcoin USD - BTCUSD Overview - MarketWatch - February 28th, 2018
- Buy Bitcoin IRA | Bitcoin IRA Investment & Retirement Account ... - February 28th, 2018
- Bitcoin Fees Have Become Infeasible - Bitcoin News - December 23rd, 2017
- Bitcoin's incredible surge takes it above $9,500 - Nov. 27 ... - November 27th, 2017
- Warning Signs About Another Giant Bitcoin Exchange - November 23rd, 2017
- What Is Bitcoin, and How Does It Work? - The New York Times - October 6th, 2017
- Why Beanie Babies make for a better investment than bitcoin - MarketWatch - September 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin's price hit $5000 last week. It's still a dumb investment - Los Angeles Times - September 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin dips another $300 after China's cryptocurrency crackdown - CNBC - September 5th, 2017
- IRS Eyes Profits From Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash Investments - Investopedia - September 5th, 2017
- Sequoia, IDG to Invest in China Bitcoin Mining Giant - Bloomberg - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Price Drops By Over $250 as Crypto Markets Lose Billions - CoinDesk - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin $5,000: Currency Hits New Record High | Fortune.com - Fortune - September 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Drops Below $5000 as Crypto Markets See $13 Billion Sell-Off - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2017
- Searching for the future of currency, major companies try Bitcoin technology - PBS NewsHour - September 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Mempool is Empty and High Transaction Fees are no Longer Required - newsBTC - September 2nd, 2017
- Literally just one huge chart showing bitcoin's incredible rise to $4800 - MarketWatch - September 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin's nearly five-fold climb in 2017 looks very similar to tech ... - CNBC - September 2nd, 2017
- BTC-e's Big Claim: Bitcoin Withdrawals to Begin Tomorrow - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 2nd, 2017
- As bitcoin surges in price and popularity, so do the complaints - CNBC - August 31st, 2017
- Here is how Indians are minting a fortune in bitcoins - Economic Times - August 31st, 2017
- Why Miners Are Mining Bitcoin Cash and Losing Money Doing It - CoinDesk - August 30th, 2017
- Bitcoin jumps nearly 70% for August to record high, offshoot 'bitcoin cash' falls to more than one-week low - CNBC - August 30th, 2017
- Bitcoin Foundation seeks legal protection from US currency regulation - The Independent - August 30th, 2017
- Bitcoin's epic rise leaves late-1990s tech bubble in the dust - Economic Times - August 30th, 2017
- 99Bitcoins | Buy Bitcoin, Bitcoin Guides & Reviews for ... - August 29th, 2017
- Dark web finds bitcoin increasingly more of a problem than a help, tries other digital currencies - CNBC - August 29th, 2017
- Bitcoin Meets Zcash: Developers Test Tool for Trustless Trades - CoinDesk - August 29th, 2017
- Russian Regulator: Bitcoin Should Be Limited to 'Qualified Investors' - CoinDesk - August 29th, 2017
- As bitcoin and rivals surge, so too have complaints to the CFPB - MarketWatch - August 29th, 2017
- Is Bitcoin the New Gold? - TheStreet.com - August 28th, 2017
- This Swedish guy bet all his life savings on bitcoin and it made him 100 times richer - Business Insider Nordic - August 28th, 2017
- How To Gain Bitcoin Exposure Inside Of Your Traditional Brokerage Account - Seeking Alpha - August 28th, 2017
- Value of all digital currencies hits record around $160 billion as ... - MarketWatch - August 28th, 2017
- Why Motherboard Is Capitalizing 'Bitcoin' Again - Motherboard - August 28th, 2017
- New Bitcoin.com Charts: The Bitcoin Ecosystem at a Glance - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 27th, 2017
- Expert Predicts Bitcoin Will be Worth up to $20000 in the Next Three Years - Futurism - August 27th, 2017
- Does Bitcoin Have a Mining Monopoly Problem? - Fortune - August 27th, 2017
- Bitcoin poised to challenge record after recovering from correction - MarketWatch - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin Prices Rise But Fall Short of All-Time High - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin and Artificial Intelligence Can Help Fight Sex Trafficking ... - Fortune - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin Investors, Beware: The IRS Is Coming for Your Vast Riches - TheStreet.com - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin's Lightning Network Moves Closer to Compatibility - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin And Why You Think You're Right (Even When You're Wrong) - Seeking Alpha - August 26th, 2017
- Bitcoin and Ether rise, helping take crypto space above $150 billion market cap - MarketWatch - August 23rd, 2017
- Bitcoin Prices Are Up Over $100 Already Today - CoinDesk - August 23rd, 2017
- MGT Capital Raises $2.4 Million to Expand Bitcoin Mining Operation - CoinDesk - August 23rd, 2017
- Hackers Swipe Bitcoin by Stealing Your Cell Phone Number First - Inc.com - August 23rd, 2017
- Bitcoin rebounds after briefly entering correction territory - MarketWatch - August 22nd, 2017
- Here's Why Bitcoin Rose More than $1000 in Two Months - Futurism - August 22nd, 2017
- The IRS Has Special Software to Find Bitcoin Tax Cheats - Fortune - August 22nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Prices Dip Below $4000 to Hit 7-Day Low - CoinDesk - August 22nd, 2017
- China's two biggest bitcoin exchanges helped themselves to $150 million in idle client funds - Quartz - August 22nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Analysts Compete for the Highest Price Forecast - Bloomberg - August 21st, 2017
- A Bitcoin Law for Every State? Interest and Animosity Greet Model US Regulation - CoinDesk - August 21st, 2017
- Take Two: Bitcoin Miner BTCS Announces New Merger Deal - CoinDesk - August 21st, 2017
- Bitcoin About To Burst - Seeking Alpha - August 21st, 2017
- 10 Bitcoin Wallet Apps You Should Consider Using Today - HuffPost - August 20th, 2017
- Bitcoin-accepting shops leave cookie trail that crumbles anonymity - The Register - August 20th, 2017
- Bitcoin Trades Sideways as Bitcoin Cash Price Drops to $800 - CoinDesk - August 20th, 2017
- 'Bitcoin cash' surges 40% in single day as investors bet on its faster processing speeds - CNBC - August 19th, 2017