Altcoins have long been ridiculed as useless aspects of the bitcoin ecosystem that dont offer much in terms of real value to anyone who uses them. While they often make vague promises about how they are bitcoin with feature X or Y, the number of them that offer any real use cases today approaches zero.
Having said that, the increasingly higher transaction fees on the bitcoin network may have opened the door for a few of them to achieve some sort of purpose in the form of low-value payments. Its unclear how how many people desire this particular use case, but lets take a closer look.
While its clear that some bitcoin users are interested in switching to altcoins for lower-value payments, its unclear how much adoption will take place here. Using bitcoin for small-value payments has mostly been something done by people who were already bitcoin users up to this point, so its unclear if any altcoin will be able to bring new people to the cryptocurrency ecosystem around this use case.
In short, the people who wish to use a cryptocurrency for small-value transactions are mostly driven by ideology than anything else. As early bitcoin adopter and entrepreneur Erik Voorhees explained on Twitter, hes interested in using an altcoin for small-value transactions because he simply refuses to use US dollars for philosophical reasons.
For better or worse, most people are fine with paying back their friend for a beer at the bar via something like Venmo.
Those who like bitcoin as a currency can choose to make small payments via centralized bitcoin banks, such as Coinbase or Xapo, and improvements that lower the amount of third-party trust involved in these sorts of transactions can be implemented with no further alterations to the bitcoin protocol (more on this later).
Lack of liquidity is another issue for altcoins. For example, longtime bitcoin angel investor Roger Ver recently tweeted that he made his first transaction on the Dash network for an amount of around $100,000 worth of Dash. The price collapsed by a third of its initial value in a matter of six hours on the same day Ver made his tweet, which illustrates the volatility risks that come with these sorts of coins.
One of the common responses to the price volatility issues when it comes to bitcoin is that the price volatility is in the upwards direction over the long term. Altcoin proponents will undoubtedly use this argument as well, but the fact that bitcoin may eventually usurp this low-value transaction use case puts this argument into question (again, more on this later).
Network effects are another issue when moving to different cryptocurrencies. The fact of the matter is that every cryptocurrency that isnt bitcoin has roughly zero real-world users. This could obviously change in the future if enough people decide they wish to make small-value transactions on these networks. For example, Coinbase is currently looking into allowing merchants to accept alternative cryptocurrencies.
One last point to make here is that bitcoins digital gold or store of value use case is mostly not threatened by altcoins. The liquidity in bitcoin makes it a preferred store of value, and those who wish to store value in an incorruptible digital bearer asset are willing to pay high fees relative to where bitcoins transaction fees have been in the past. If youre looking to put $10,000 into bitcoin, youll likely be willing to pay $5 or more to bitcoin miners to do so.
Ironically, an altcoins usefulness for low-value payments declines as the exchange rate of that altcoin increases (much like the current case with bitcoin).
- Bitcoin History Part 5: A Wild Altcoin Appears - Bitcoin News - January 9th, 2019
- Latest News on Altcoin | Altcoin Breaking News | DC Forecasts - January 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Daily Preview: Tron (TRX) Could Bounce back ... - January 9th, 2019
- Most promising Altcoins and ... - Captain Altcoin - January 8th, 2019
- Altcoin - Investopedia - December 12th, 2018
- GoChain (GO): Here's Why This Altcoin Might $GO All The ... - November 10th, 2018
- Find The Best Bitcoin, Altcoin, or Multi-Cryptocurrency ... - November 10th, 2018
- Altcoins Explained | The Best Altcoin Guide for the Beginning ... - October 3rd, 2018
- Altcoin.io | The cryptocurrency exchange of the future | Wefunder - September 30th, 2018
- Android Bitcoin ~ Altcoin Price Ticker ~ Coin Maker - September 4th, 2018
- 7 Altcoin Exchanges Without KYC & AML - CoinSutra - August 22nd, 2018
- Altcoin News Archives - Ethereum World News - August 7th, 2018
- How to Choose Which Altcoin to Invest In? - Coinidol.com - August 7th, 2018
- Altcoin News | Altcoin News today | Latest Altcoin News - July 27th, 2018
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.com - June 24th, 2018
- Guide: Compiling an altcoin daemon in Ubuntu Linux ... - May 31st, 2018
- Top 3 Altcoin Trading Exchanges - [Reviews and Ratings] - May 27th, 2018
- PacCoin VPS Masternode Guide AltCoin Guide - May 12th, 2018
- Asian Cryptocurrency Trading Roundup: Top Altcoin is Tron ... - May 10th, 2018
- Alternate Cryptocurrencies aka altcoins r/altcoin - reddit - May 9th, 2018
- Garzik Forks UnitedBitcoin Away from "Maximalists" to Support Altcoin ... - April 13th, 2018
- Bitcoin, Altcoin and Cryptography explained - April 4th, 2018
- ZClassic and the Bitcoin Private fork : altcoin - March 4th, 2018
- Altcoin Trustworthy Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange? - March 4th, 2018
- Blockfolio Bitcoin Altcoin App on the App Store - March 4th, 2018
- Morning Asian Altcoin Trading Roundup: the leader is Tron - February 28th, 2018
- Webinar: Bitcoin Overshadowed by Altcoin Surge - Nasdaq.com - February 12th, 2018
- Bitcoin Mine News Bitcoin & Altcoin Mining & Trading News - January 7th, 2018
- Ethereum, Litecoin Prices Headline $20 Billion Altcoin Rally - January 7th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - CryptoCurrency Facts - January 4th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - ccn.com - December 20th, 2017
- Trading Bitcoin for an Altcoin Won't Shield You From the IRS ... - December 20th, 2017
- Buy or Sell Bitcoin, Litecoin, Altcoin Multi Crypto Currency ... - December 20th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange Performs First Atomic Swap Between Bitcoin ... - December 6th, 2017
- GitHub - ander7agar/altcoin-rpc: A modern Bitcoin Core REST ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Altcoins - BTCMANAGER - November 28th, 2017
- Markets Update: Bitcoin Bull-Run Primes Altcoin Markets for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange, the Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - October 17th, 2017
- Altcoin Watchlist | Meet & Learn Cryptocurrencies - October 4th, 2017
- CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ... - September 6th, 2017
- ATC Coin Review: ATCC altcoin with massively inflated ... - September 5th, 2017
- JRM Altcoin Update - Quit chasing the headlines! - YouTube - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Statistics Confirm BCH is Just Another Altcoin - Live Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (31st of August, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - September 1st, 2017
- OpenBazaar Developers May Introduce Altcoin Support in the Near Future - The Merkle - August 27th, 2017
- Exante launches XAI, the world's first altcoin fund - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- ALTCOIN | Bitcoin Insider - August 23rd, 2017
- Altcoin Forum - Alternative Cryptocurrecies Location - August 23rd, 2017
- Op Ed: Drivechains Could Kill Off the Altcoin Market - August 22nd, 2017
- Nakamoto Institute Daniel Krawisz: I Don't Like Altcoins, but I Like Forks - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Bithumb, Highest Volume Exchange Globally, Adds Monero - Inside Bitcoins - August 22nd, 2017
- One-Man Band To Create The Second Altcoin Forum In The World - Coin Idol (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- When altcoin life imitates art - FT Alphaville (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- ALTCOIN CAPITAL - Trusted Crypto Traders - August 12th, 2017
- Overstock Now Accepts Various Altcoins for Payment - Including ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- What are Altcoins and ICOs Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday - 99 Bitcoins (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Symbol BCC Belongs to BitConnect Coin, Not Bitcoin Cash - Markets Insider - August 8th, 2017
- Crypto-Startup Hubcoin Announces Distribution of Pre-Mined HUB to Altcoin Developers - Bitcoinist - August 3rd, 2017
- This Altcoin Is Ready to Challenge Bitcoin's Domination of the ... - Futurism - July 31st, 2017
- Beginning of altcoin's end: US signals digital coins may be subject to federal securities law - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2017
- All Major Indian Exchanges Reject Bitcoin Cash Completely - Live Bitcoin News - July 31st, 2017
- Global Advisors Launches ICO and Altcoin Closed-End Private Fund - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2017
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.co.za - Google - July 9th, 2017
- Payza Commits to Cryptocurrency: Unveils Full Bitcoin Services, Introduces Altcoin Exchanges - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2017
- What is an Altcoin? Bitcoin Magazine - July 7th, 2017
- CryptoPing completes $2.5 million ICO to further develop altcoin trading intel bot - CryptoNinjas - July 4th, 2017
- Saturday Slump: Ethereum, Bitcoin Prices Headline Crypto Market Downturn - CryptoCoinsNews - July 1st, 2017
- Monday Massacre: Bitcoin, Ethereum Lead the Way as Cryptocurrencies Retreat into the Red - CryptoCoinsNews - June 26th, 2017
- Altcoin signal app CryptoPing set to conclude ICO with over $1m already raised - CryptoNinjas - June 25th, 2017
- EasyMINE: Altcoin Mining for Everyone - Coin Idol (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Altcoin 2017 Forecast: Litecoin (LTC), Peercoin (PPC ... - June 18th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (16th of June, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - June 17th, 2017
- Bitcoin Altcoin Trader Price Analysis - June 13th, 2017
- 'Real Businesses are Using Waves', Says Rep as Altcoin Crosses $600 Million Market Cap - CryptoCoinsNews - June 11th, 2017
- Altcoin Definition | Investopedia - June 9th, 2017
- Top 6 Altcoin Exchanges you may Have Never Heard of - The Merkle - June 8th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (6th of June, 2017)? - Live Bitcoin News - June 6th, 2017
- Altcoin intel bot CryptoPing ICO now live - CryptoNinjas - June 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum Just The Tip Of The Iceberg For Cryptocurrencies - ETF Daily News (blog) - May 30th, 2017
- All Top 20 Altcoins Fall By At Least 30%, Ripple Down to $6.2 Billion - CryptoCoinsNews - May 28th, 2017