Sidechains have been viewed as Bitcoins way of dealing the altcoin market since 2014, when a proposal for a two-way peg between two different blockchains was first proposed in a public setting. Three years later, it appears that drivechains, which are a specific way of implementing sidechains, will be the way in which extensions for Bitcoin are rolled out.
Sidechains remove the need for altcoins by allowing bitcoins to be effectively transferred from one blockchain to another. This means the bitcoin token can be used on any type of blockchain that bitcoin holders demand into existence.
Drivechains were designed by Bloq Economist Paul Sztorc, who started working on the idea after the lack of progress on sidechains slowed down his own project, a decentralized prediction market known as Bitcoin Hivemind.
In Sztorcs view, the security model for drivechains is not much different than that of the main Bitcoin blockchain because the funds on the drivechain are held in escrow by bitcoin miners. Some developers, such as Peter Todd, have shared technical concerns with merge-mined sidechains in the past, but this concept is likely going to be tried out in the wild, whether the contributors to Bitcoin Core like it or not. Sztorc has also attempted to address these technical concerns through the use of blind merged mining.
In terms of the risk of miners stealing the funds held in escrow, Sztorc has pointed out that a similar risk already exists in Bitcoin: A cartel of miners could theoretically defraud a bitcoin exchange by selling bitcoins on the exchange and then later rewriting the chain history in a way obscures or erases the original deposit so that it appears it never took place.
Drivechains can be added to Bitcoin via soft forks, which means they are backward compatible. If there is sufficient demand for a specific type of drivechain, miners should be happy to mine on the additional chain in order to generate more revenue by way of transaction fees.
Features of popular drivechains could theoretically be soft-forked into Bitcoin by way of an extension block or some other measure, but its unclear if this would even be necessary.
The three main niches that have gained interest from altcoin speculators are microtransactions (lower transaction fees), smart contracts and privacy.
Both Ethereum and Litecoin are said to be useful alternatives to Bitcoin because they have lower transaction fees. One of the first intended drivechains is one with bigger blocks which would allow users to transact with lower fees in a manner that does not negatively affect the decentralization of Bitcoins main chain.
Although its still unclear if there is much substance behind the drastic rise in Ethereums market cap, RSK has built a sidechain focused on complex smart contracts that is a hybrid between a drivechain and a federated sidechain. The RSK platform is currently pegged to Bitcoins testnet, and it is expected to launch on mainnet later this year.
In terms of privacy, there are intentions to add a MimbleWimble sidechain to Bitcoin, although the mechanism that will be used to peg the sidechain to Bitcoin is unclear at this time. In addition to MimbleWimble, its also possible that a Monero, Zcash or other privacy-focused sidechains could be released if there is enough demand.
There is a full list of sidechain projects available on the Drivechain website.
While drivechains are likely to drive out the need for altcoins, its still possible that alternative digital assets that are not attempts at creating a new form of money will exist.
Sztorcs own project creates a new token, votecoin, which is required for the decentralized prediction market to work. With this setup, bitcoin is used as the transactional currency while votecoins are used as a sort of stake in the network to get the incentives to work properly.
To me, its unclear how often these sorts of new tokens will be needed, but there should be no reason for competitors to bitcoin as a form of digital money to exist.
One last thing to keep in mind is that a chain split in Bitcoin could invalidate the hypothesis laid out in this article. If there is a split, then the network effects around Bitcoin could be weakened, which would open the door for an alternative cryptocurrency to take Bitcoins place.
The supporters of the SegWit2x proposal intend to activate a hard-forking increase to Bitcoins block size limit later this year, but it is extremely unlikely that this change will be implemented in Bitcoin Core, which means a chain split is a possibility.
The negative effects of such a situation would depend on the severity of the split and how the market reacts.
If a big block drivechain is prepared in time, it may be able to decrease the attraction some in the Bitcoin ecosystem have toward a hard fork.
Thank you to drivechain developer Patrick Murphy for answering a few questions during the writing of this article.
See the article here:
Op Ed: Drivechains Could Kill Off the Altcoin Market
- Garzik Forks UnitedBitcoin Away from "Maximalists" to Support Altcoin ... - April 13th, 2018
- Bitcoin, Altcoin and Cryptography explained - April 4th, 2018
- ZClassic and the Bitcoin Private fork : altcoin - March 4th, 2018
- Altcoin Trustworthy Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange? - March 4th, 2018
- Blockfolio Bitcoin Altcoin App on the App Store - March 4th, 2018
- Morning Asian Altcoin Trading Roundup: the leader is Tron - February 28th, 2018
- Webinar: Bitcoin Overshadowed by Altcoin Surge - Nasdaq.com - February 12th, 2018
- Bitcoin Mine News Bitcoin & Altcoin Mining & Trading News - January 7th, 2018
- Ethereum, Litecoin Prices Headline $20 Billion Altcoin Rally - January 7th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - CryptoCurrency Facts - January 4th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - ccn.com - December 20th, 2017
- Trading Bitcoin for an Altcoin Won't Shield You From the IRS ... - December 20th, 2017
- Buy or Sell Bitcoin, Litecoin, Altcoin Multi Crypto Currency ... - December 20th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange Performs First Atomic Swap Between Bitcoin ... - December 6th, 2017
- GitHub - ander7agar/altcoin-rpc: A modern Bitcoin Core REST ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Altcoins - BTCMANAGER - November 28th, 2017
- Markets Update: Bitcoin Bull-Run Primes Altcoin Markets for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange, the Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - October 17th, 2017
- Altcoin Watchlist | Meet & Learn Cryptocurrencies - October 4th, 2017
- CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ... - September 6th, 2017
- ATC Coin Review: ATCC altcoin with massively inflated ... - September 5th, 2017
- JRM Altcoin Update - Quit chasing the headlines! - YouTube - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Statistics Confirm BCH is Just Another Altcoin - Live Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (31st of August, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - September 1st, 2017
- OpenBazaar Developers May Introduce Altcoin Support in the Near Future - The Merkle - August 27th, 2017
- Exante launches XAI, the world's first altcoin fund - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- ALTCOIN | Bitcoin Insider - August 23rd, 2017
- Altcoin Forum - Alternative Cryptocurrecies Location - August 23rd, 2017
- Nakamoto Institute Daniel Krawisz: I Don't Like Altcoins, but I Like Forks - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Bithumb, Highest Volume Exchange Globally, Adds Monero - Inside Bitcoins - August 22nd, 2017
- One-Man Band To Create The Second Altcoin Forum In The World - Coin Idol (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- When altcoin life imitates art - FT Alphaville (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- ALTCOIN CAPITAL - Trusted Crypto Traders - August 12th, 2017
- Overstock Now Accepts Various Altcoins for Payment - Including ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- What are Altcoins and ICOs Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday - 99 Bitcoins (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Symbol BCC Belongs to BitConnect Coin, Not Bitcoin Cash - Markets Insider - August 8th, 2017
- Crypto-Startup Hubcoin Announces Distribution of Pre-Mined HUB to Altcoin Developers - Bitcoinist - August 3rd, 2017
- This Altcoin Is Ready to Challenge Bitcoin's Domination of the ... - Futurism - July 31st, 2017
- Beginning of altcoin's end: US signals digital coins may be subject to federal securities law - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2017
- All Major Indian Exchanges Reject Bitcoin Cash Completely - Live Bitcoin News - July 31st, 2017
- Global Advisors Launches ICO and Altcoin Closed-End Private Fund - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2017
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.co.za - Google - July 9th, 2017
- Payza Commits to Cryptocurrency: Unveils Full Bitcoin Services, Introduces Altcoin Exchanges - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2017
- What is an Altcoin? Bitcoin Magazine - July 7th, 2017
- CryptoPing completes $2.5 million ICO to further develop altcoin trading intel bot - CryptoNinjas - July 4th, 2017
- Saturday Slump: Ethereum, Bitcoin Prices Headline Crypto Market Downturn - CryptoCoinsNews - July 1st, 2017
- Monday Massacre: Bitcoin, Ethereum Lead the Way as Cryptocurrencies Retreat into the Red - CryptoCoinsNews - June 26th, 2017
- Altcoin signal app CryptoPing set to conclude ICO with over $1m already raised - CryptoNinjas - June 25th, 2017
- EasyMINE: Altcoin Mining for Everyone - Coin Idol (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Altcoin 2017 Forecast: Litecoin (LTC), Peercoin (PPC ... - June 18th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (16th of June, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - June 17th, 2017
- Bitcoin Altcoin Trader Price Analysis - June 13th, 2017
- 'Real Businesses are Using Waves', Says Rep as Altcoin Crosses $600 Million Market Cap - CryptoCoinsNews - June 11th, 2017
- Altcoin Definition | Investopedia - June 9th, 2017
- Top 6 Altcoin Exchanges you may Have Never Heard of - The Merkle - June 8th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (6th of June, 2017)? - Live Bitcoin News - June 6th, 2017
- Altcoin intel bot CryptoPing ICO now live - CryptoNinjas - June 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum Just The Tip Of The Iceberg For Cryptocurrencies - ETF Daily News (blog) - May 30th, 2017
- All Top 20 Altcoins Fall By At Least 30%, Ripple Down to $6.2 Billion - CryptoCoinsNews - May 28th, 2017
- CryptoPing, the Cryptocurrency Bot that Monitors Altcoin Markets. ICO in 48 Hours! - FinSMEs (blog) - May 24th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week? (May 22nd, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2017
- Altcoin Price Increases and How CryptoPing May Help Traders - The Merkle - May 24th, 2017
- Another crypto bubble and the rise of altcoin markets - Brave New Coin - May 15th, 2017
- CryptoPing Altcoin Intelligence Bot Announces ICO - The Merkle - May 15th, 2017
- What is crypto-currency? Learn everything you need to know. - May 10th, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (May 8th, 2016) - Live Bitcoin News - May 8th, 2017
- Altcoin Market Takes A Hit and Bounces Back Amid US$3bn Trading Spree - Live Bitcoin News - May 8th, 2017
- Total Cryptocurrency Market Cap Inches Closer Toward US$40bn ... - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Price is Once Again Above Gold Despite 'Altcoin Bubble ... - Inside Bitcoins - April 26th, 2017
- Altcoins Planning Segwit Integration Experience Price Pumps - Nigeria Today - April 26th, 2017
- Poloniex Altcoin Exchange Review - The Merkle - April 25th, 2017
- Ether Price Analysis: ETH Altcoin Dominance Continues - Bitcoin Magazine - April 21st, 2017
- Altcoiner Lets All Bitcoin Holders Earn A Daily Passive Income By Trading Altcoins - newsBTC - April 12th, 2017
- PIVX Growth Not Influenced by Dash nor Bitcoin in Altcoin Swell - CryptoCoinsNews - April 11th, 2017
- Altcoins See Their Value Go Up As They Inch Closer to Activating SegWit - Live Bitcoin News - April 10th, 2017
- Decred Benefits From Bitcoin Impasse, Joins Altcoins' Rise - CryptoCoinsNews - April 8th, 2017
- Altcoin-Fiat Trading Rises, BitPanda Adds Dash-Euro Trading - CoinTelegraph - April 2nd, 2017
- Ripple Price Surge Continues, Altcoin Takes Advantage Of Bitcoin Scaling Troubles - CoinTelegraph - April 2nd, 2017
- SpectroCoin Announces Altcoin Support for Bitcoin Debit Cards - AllCoinsNews.com (blog) - March 28th, 2017
- Top 3 Altcoin Pumpers in History - The Merkle - March 28th, 2017