A new project called UnitedBitcoin (warning: the site autoplays audio) promises to add smart contract features using the UTXO model, support for the lightning network and SegWit, and eight-megabyte blocks. Headed up by Jeff Garzik, the lead developer behind the failed SegWit2x hard fork, along with Matthew Roszak and SongXiu Hua, this UnitedBitcoin (UB) hard fork will offer replay protection to prevent people from accidentally spending their coins on both the Bitcoin and the UnitedBitcoin blockchains.
Garzik told Bitcoin Magazine that 10% of the total worldwide SHA-256 hash power has moved to the new UB network, with much of the support coming from China and older mining equipment that was no longer profitable due to the escalating difficulty in mining bitcoin. He noted that UB is already supported on the ZB and EXX exchanges.
The UB white paper outlines how lost bitcoins have created deflationary pressure that has pushed the price up. Because those bitcoins are out of circulation, the supply is further decreased. One of the issues that UB seeks to address is to find a purpose both for those lost bitcoins and for inactive wallets by creating a stable cryptocurrency linked to their addresses.
All active Bitcoin addresses will receive the same balance on the UB chain, much like previous forks. The balances of UB on inactive addresses, however, will be confiscated by the UB Foundation and used to serve the community.
Inactive addresses are defined in the white paper as addresses without activity since block height #494000 (November 11, 2017) and as a result didnt automatically receive UBTC during phase 1 of the asset allocation procedure.
UB does not distinguish between an inactive address and one which is simply being used by a long-time “hodler.”
There is no difference. An inactive account is an inactive account, said Garzik. Like during [the] Ethereum new coin creation, you had to take a proactive step, otherwise you got zero [ether]. This is normal for new token creation new chain, new ERC20, but different from all other Bitcoin Forks. We are trying to do something new and different.
Anyone with a prior balance of 0.01 BTC in an inactive address at the time of the November 11 fork can still get UB tokens, so long as they are willing to take such a proactive step: that is, they make at least one transfer to their own Bitcoin address between Block 498,777 and Block 501,878 (December 12, 2017, to 12:00 GMT on January 3, 2018).
Only the original address can make the transfer to itself, and the receiving address must be used as one of the sending (input) addresses.
One privacy issue to consider is that in order to proactively claim BU tokens, the protocol forces users to reuse their Bitcoin addresses; this action puts privacy at risk and, unless it is done carefully, may link many of the users coins together.
User privacy protection is not the only part of the protocol that is drawing criticism, however.
The code contains a god mode; its literally called that, Blockchain developer Sjors Provoost said to Bitcoin Magazine. He said that it appears as if this god mode will create a multisignature address that belongs to a (yet-to-be-defined) UnitedBitcoin Foundation.
Unlike previous airdrops, the initial coin distribution is not determined by a consensus rule, he added. This means that even if you were to run the full UB node software (which you should not), you will have no way of knowing for sure how many coins you get. Conversely, if you already had bitcoin, you wont know how many of your coins will be confiscated. You simply have to trust their promise to take and redistribute coins as their marketing promises.
According to Provoost, the new consensus rule allows the owner of this foundation address to spend any UTXO they want. These confiscations will be included in holy blocks, which can be created during the first 500 blocks after the fork. This is how they implement the redistribution as I just described, but they can do much more.
Furthermore, Provoost is concerned about the quality of the code itself. Garziks previous project SegWit2x tried to keep its changes relative to Core to a bare minimum. Although at the time of the planned fork their code base was about a year behind Bitcoin Core, it didnt introduce many changes, he pointed out.
UnitedBitcoin on the other hand has introduced far more changes, making the task of tracking Bitcoin Core far more difficult. Its not as many changes as Bitcoin Unlimited and Bitcoin Cash, and the problem is somewhat mitigated by them sunsetting the more complicated consensus changes like god mode. However, even the small change in SegWit2x had a widely publicized serious bug in it and there are rumors of more.
Garzik has plans to build a better Tether by using the UB reserve, funded by coins reclaimed from inactive addresses. According to the project, 70 percent of confiscated UB coins will be held as collateral to issue stable tokens pegged to a fiat currency.
The UB reserve can be used as a backing asset for a stable, non-volatile currency, said Garzik. This is auditable and transparent and on the blockchain. It will be over-collateralized, 200300% to maintain the stability even in the face of a volatile price of the reserve.
The remaining 30 percent of the confiscated coins will support another new feature: owners of QTUM, H-shares and ether will receive a share of the remaining redistributed UB.
According to Garzik, the specific claim process for the redistribution of UB has yet to be determined. The UB board is still being put in place things are moving very fast and this will include more specifics on governance and community allocations.
The scheduled timeline of what has been released and what is coming breaks down as follows:
Fork of Bitcoin to UnitedBitcoin (at block height #498,777) with support for:
- Altcoin News Archives - Ethereum World News - August 7th, 2018
- How to Choose Which Altcoin to Invest In? - Coinidol.com - August 7th, 2018
- Altcoin News | Altcoin News today | Latest Altcoin News - July 27th, 2018
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.com - June 24th, 2018
- Guide: Compiling an altcoin daemon in Ubuntu Linux ... - May 31st, 2018
- Top 3 Altcoin Trading Exchanges - [Reviews and Ratings] - May 27th, 2018
- PacCoin VPS Masternode Guide AltCoin Guide - May 12th, 2018
- Asian Cryptocurrency Trading Roundup: Top Altcoin is Tron ... - May 10th, 2018
- Alternate Cryptocurrencies aka altcoins r/altcoin - reddit - May 9th, 2018
- Bitcoin, Altcoin and Cryptography explained - April 4th, 2018
- ZClassic and the Bitcoin Private fork : altcoin - March 4th, 2018
- Altcoin Trustworthy Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange? - March 4th, 2018
- Blockfolio Bitcoin Altcoin App on the App Store - March 4th, 2018
- Morning Asian Altcoin Trading Roundup: the leader is Tron - February 28th, 2018
- Webinar: Bitcoin Overshadowed by Altcoin Surge - Nasdaq.com - February 12th, 2018
- Bitcoin Mine News Bitcoin & Altcoin Mining & Trading News - January 7th, 2018
- Ethereum, Litecoin Prices Headline $20 Billion Altcoin Rally - January 7th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - CryptoCurrency Facts - January 4th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - ccn.com - December 20th, 2017
- Trading Bitcoin for an Altcoin Won't Shield You From the IRS ... - December 20th, 2017
- Buy or Sell Bitcoin, Litecoin, Altcoin Multi Crypto Currency ... - December 20th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange Performs First Atomic Swap Between Bitcoin ... - December 6th, 2017
- GitHub - ander7agar/altcoin-rpc: A modern Bitcoin Core REST ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Altcoins - BTCMANAGER - November 28th, 2017
- Markets Update: Bitcoin Bull-Run Primes Altcoin Markets for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange, the Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - October 17th, 2017
- Altcoin Watchlist | Meet & Learn Cryptocurrencies - October 4th, 2017
- CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ... - September 6th, 2017
- ATC Coin Review: ATCC altcoin with massively inflated ... - September 5th, 2017
- JRM Altcoin Update - Quit chasing the headlines! - YouTube - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Statistics Confirm BCH is Just Another Altcoin - Live Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (31st of August, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - September 1st, 2017
- OpenBazaar Developers May Introduce Altcoin Support in the Near Future - The Merkle - August 27th, 2017
- Exante launches XAI, the world's first altcoin fund - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- ALTCOIN | Bitcoin Insider - August 23rd, 2017
- Altcoin Forum - Alternative Cryptocurrecies Location - August 23rd, 2017
- Op Ed: Drivechains Could Kill Off the Altcoin Market - August 22nd, 2017
- Nakamoto Institute Daniel Krawisz: I Don't Like Altcoins, but I Like Forks - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Bithumb, Highest Volume Exchange Globally, Adds Monero - Inside Bitcoins - August 22nd, 2017
- One-Man Band To Create The Second Altcoin Forum In The World - Coin Idol (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- When altcoin life imitates art - FT Alphaville (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- ALTCOIN CAPITAL - Trusted Crypto Traders - August 12th, 2017
- Overstock Now Accepts Various Altcoins for Payment - Including ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- What are Altcoins and ICOs Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday - 99 Bitcoins (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Symbol BCC Belongs to BitConnect Coin, Not Bitcoin Cash - Markets Insider - August 8th, 2017
- Crypto-Startup Hubcoin Announces Distribution of Pre-Mined HUB to Altcoin Developers - Bitcoinist - August 3rd, 2017
- This Altcoin Is Ready to Challenge Bitcoin's Domination of the ... - Futurism - July 31st, 2017
- Beginning of altcoin's end: US signals digital coins may be subject to federal securities law - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2017
- All Major Indian Exchanges Reject Bitcoin Cash Completely - Live Bitcoin News - July 31st, 2017
- Global Advisors Launches ICO and Altcoin Closed-End Private Fund - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2017
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.co.za - Google - July 9th, 2017
- Payza Commits to Cryptocurrency: Unveils Full Bitcoin Services, Introduces Altcoin Exchanges - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2017
- What is an Altcoin? Bitcoin Magazine - July 7th, 2017
- CryptoPing completes $2.5 million ICO to further develop altcoin trading intel bot - CryptoNinjas - July 4th, 2017
- Saturday Slump: Ethereum, Bitcoin Prices Headline Crypto Market Downturn - CryptoCoinsNews - July 1st, 2017
- Monday Massacre: Bitcoin, Ethereum Lead the Way as Cryptocurrencies Retreat into the Red - CryptoCoinsNews - June 26th, 2017
- Altcoin signal app CryptoPing set to conclude ICO with over $1m already raised - CryptoNinjas - June 25th, 2017
- EasyMINE: Altcoin Mining for Everyone - Coin Idol (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Altcoin 2017 Forecast: Litecoin (LTC), Peercoin (PPC ... - June 18th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (16th of June, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - June 17th, 2017
- Bitcoin Altcoin Trader Price Analysis - June 13th, 2017
- 'Real Businesses are Using Waves', Says Rep as Altcoin Crosses $600 Million Market Cap - CryptoCoinsNews - June 11th, 2017
- Altcoin Definition | Investopedia - June 9th, 2017
- Top 6 Altcoin Exchanges you may Have Never Heard of - The Merkle - June 8th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (6th of June, 2017)? - Live Bitcoin News - June 6th, 2017
- Altcoin intel bot CryptoPing ICO now live - CryptoNinjas - June 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum Just The Tip Of The Iceberg For Cryptocurrencies - ETF Daily News (blog) - May 30th, 2017
- All Top 20 Altcoins Fall By At Least 30%, Ripple Down to $6.2 Billion - CryptoCoinsNews - May 28th, 2017
- CryptoPing, the Cryptocurrency Bot that Monitors Altcoin Markets. ICO in 48 Hours! - FinSMEs (blog) - May 24th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week? (May 22nd, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2017
- Altcoin Price Increases and How CryptoPing May Help Traders - The Merkle - May 24th, 2017
- Another crypto bubble and the rise of altcoin markets - Brave New Coin - May 15th, 2017
- CryptoPing Altcoin Intelligence Bot Announces ICO - The Merkle - May 15th, 2017
- What is crypto-currency? Learn everything you need to know. - May 10th, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (May 8th, 2016) - Live Bitcoin News - May 8th, 2017
- Altcoin Market Takes A Hit and Bounces Back Amid US$3bn Trading Spree - Live Bitcoin News - May 8th, 2017
- Total Cryptocurrency Market Cap Inches Closer Toward US$40bn ... - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Price is Once Again Above Gold Despite 'Altcoin Bubble ... - Inside Bitcoins - April 26th, 2017
- Altcoins Planning Segwit Integration Experience Price Pumps - Nigeria Today - April 26th, 2017
- Poloniex Altcoin Exchange Review - The Merkle - April 25th, 2017