Bitcoin is the best known cryptocurrency at this moment, also called virtual money. Bitcoin is decentralized, this means there is no owner or central control. Transactions in the Bitcoin network are sent in a cryptographic form and processed by miners using computers and specialized hardware with huge calculating power.On this page the following subjects will be described:
How does the Bitcoin network work?What is an altcoin?Advantages of crypto currenciesCompare hardware wallets
The Bitcoin netword is based ona blockchain, an administration of all transactions between the different bitcoin addresses. Every 10 minutes a new block will be created, containing all transactions of these 10 minutes plus the previous block. Every transaction will exist forever (as long as the blockchain exists).
Along with the information of the transaction, other information can be added in a block. It is not possible to change or delete this information. Adding information will create many interesting user posibilities, which do not exist in other payment methods.
Bitcoins can be mined by using special hardware to translate encrypted codes. These codes represent all transactions in a block, and the miner who finds the block first will be rewarded with an amount of bitcoins (currently 12,5). The financial effort you have to put into mining, like costs for electricity and hardware, is called proof of work.
This makes the bitcoin blockchain super secure, because to alteror delete something in the blockchain you will have to input a greater proof of work than all of the current miners together. At that moment the total computing power (hash power) that is mining on the Bitcoin network is so incredibly huge, that for a single person, company, or even government, it is impossible to deliver more hash power to over ride the current mining operation.
Besides finding new blocks, miners will also earn on transaction fees. The most amount of bitcoins that will ever be found is limited to 21 million, and they will be harder to find because every four years the mining reward will be reduced by fifty percent. The value of bitcoin will not be affected by dilution, because the supply is limited. That understood, bitcoin can be a profitable investment in times of quantitive easing and you can store them safely on a hardware wallet.
Besides bitcoins, there are many altcoins on the market. An altcoin (alternative coin) is a virtual coin, same as bitcoin, based on cryptography. There are hundreds of different alt coins available and most of themhave the goal to become an improved version of Bitcoin.The best known alt coins are Ethereum, Lightcoin, Zcashand Monero, and are designed with a focus on a specific application. Some of these coins are certainly interesting, but the grand question is will they win the race with Bitcoin to become the most dominant coin. Bitcoin is by far the most famous and accepted coin. All the hardware wallets are also supporting some alt coins.
Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin contain big advantages compared to fiat money. A Bitcoin wallet is anonymous and so you dont have to provide your name and address. As long as you own the public key of the wallet, you have the power over the bitcoins you own.
Furthermore the transaction costs are extremely low and there is no 3rd party able to cancel your transaction. In a short period of time you can send an unlimited amount of money all over the world. Also, small payments are possible with Bitcoin, creating many new possible applications.
Maybe the most promising application, not known by many people yet, is the ability to add information into the blockchain. For example, you can make a house payment and directly register the ownership in the blockchain. Besides ownership you can also register other things like your identification.
In the future, Bitcoin and blockchain technology will create applications like smart contracts and automated payments between machines, changing the status quo. In addition, crowd funding will be raised to a new level.Bitcoin use can apply to many financial functions like store of value (gold, silver), hedging against crashes of stocks, other financial products, and of course, just as a payment system.
What is a hardware wallet?
Everything about security of your bitcoins.
Trezor wallet reviewed.
Ledger wallet reviewed.
Keepkey wallet reviewed.
- Garzik Forks UnitedBitcoin Away from "Maximalists" to Support Altcoin ... - April 13th, 2018
- ZClassic and the Bitcoin Private fork : altcoin - March 4th, 2018
- Altcoin Trustworthy Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange? - March 4th, 2018
- Blockfolio Bitcoin Altcoin App on the App Store - March 4th, 2018
- Morning Asian Altcoin Trading Roundup: the leader is Tron - February 28th, 2018
- Webinar: Bitcoin Overshadowed by Altcoin Surge - Nasdaq.com - February 12th, 2018
- Bitcoin Mine News Bitcoin & Altcoin Mining & Trading News - January 7th, 2018
- Ethereum, Litecoin Prices Headline $20 Billion Altcoin Rally - January 7th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - CryptoCurrency Facts - January 4th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - ccn.com - December 20th, 2017
- Trading Bitcoin for an Altcoin Won't Shield You From the IRS ... - December 20th, 2017
- Buy or Sell Bitcoin, Litecoin, Altcoin Multi Crypto Currency ... - December 20th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange Performs First Atomic Swap Between Bitcoin ... - December 6th, 2017
- GitHub - ander7agar/altcoin-rpc: A modern Bitcoin Core REST ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Altcoins - BTCMANAGER - November 28th, 2017
- Markets Update: Bitcoin Bull-Run Primes Altcoin Markets for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange, the Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - October 17th, 2017
- Altcoin Watchlist | Meet & Learn Cryptocurrencies - October 4th, 2017
- CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ... - September 6th, 2017
- ATC Coin Review: ATCC altcoin with massively inflated ... - September 5th, 2017
- JRM Altcoin Update - Quit chasing the headlines! - YouTube - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Statistics Confirm BCH is Just Another Altcoin - Live Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (31st of August, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - September 1st, 2017
- OpenBazaar Developers May Introduce Altcoin Support in the Near Future - The Merkle - August 27th, 2017
- Exante launches XAI, the world's first altcoin fund - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- ALTCOIN | Bitcoin Insider - August 23rd, 2017
- Altcoin Forum - Alternative Cryptocurrecies Location - August 23rd, 2017
- Op Ed: Drivechains Could Kill Off the Altcoin Market - August 22nd, 2017
- Nakamoto Institute Daniel Krawisz: I Don't Like Altcoins, but I Like Forks - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Bithumb, Highest Volume Exchange Globally, Adds Monero - Inside Bitcoins - August 22nd, 2017
- One-Man Band To Create The Second Altcoin Forum In The World - Coin Idol (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- When altcoin life imitates art - FT Alphaville (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- ALTCOIN CAPITAL - Trusted Crypto Traders - August 12th, 2017
- Overstock Now Accepts Various Altcoins for Payment - Including ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- What are Altcoins and ICOs Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday - 99 Bitcoins (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Symbol BCC Belongs to BitConnect Coin, Not Bitcoin Cash - Markets Insider - August 8th, 2017
- Crypto-Startup Hubcoin Announces Distribution of Pre-Mined HUB to Altcoin Developers - Bitcoinist - August 3rd, 2017
- This Altcoin Is Ready to Challenge Bitcoin's Domination of the ... - Futurism - July 31st, 2017
- Beginning of altcoin's end: US signals digital coins may be subject to federal securities law - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2017
- All Major Indian Exchanges Reject Bitcoin Cash Completely - Live Bitcoin News - July 31st, 2017
- Global Advisors Launches ICO and Altcoin Closed-End Private Fund - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2017
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.co.za - Google - July 9th, 2017
- Payza Commits to Cryptocurrency: Unveils Full Bitcoin Services, Introduces Altcoin Exchanges - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2017
- What is an Altcoin? Bitcoin Magazine - July 7th, 2017
- CryptoPing completes $2.5 million ICO to further develop altcoin trading intel bot - CryptoNinjas - July 4th, 2017
- Saturday Slump: Ethereum, Bitcoin Prices Headline Crypto Market Downturn - CryptoCoinsNews - July 1st, 2017
- Monday Massacre: Bitcoin, Ethereum Lead the Way as Cryptocurrencies Retreat into the Red - CryptoCoinsNews - June 26th, 2017
- Altcoin signal app CryptoPing set to conclude ICO with over $1m already raised - CryptoNinjas - June 25th, 2017
- EasyMINE: Altcoin Mining for Everyone - Coin Idol (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Altcoin 2017 Forecast: Litecoin (LTC), Peercoin (PPC ... - June 18th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (16th of June, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - June 17th, 2017
- Bitcoin Altcoin Trader Price Analysis - June 13th, 2017
- 'Real Businesses are Using Waves', Says Rep as Altcoin Crosses $600 Million Market Cap - CryptoCoinsNews - June 11th, 2017
- Altcoin Definition | Investopedia - June 9th, 2017
- Top 6 Altcoin Exchanges you may Have Never Heard of - The Merkle - June 8th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (6th of June, 2017)? - Live Bitcoin News - June 6th, 2017
- Altcoin intel bot CryptoPing ICO now live - CryptoNinjas - June 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum Just The Tip Of The Iceberg For Cryptocurrencies - ETF Daily News (blog) - May 30th, 2017
- All Top 20 Altcoins Fall By At Least 30%, Ripple Down to $6.2 Billion - CryptoCoinsNews - May 28th, 2017
- CryptoPing, the Cryptocurrency Bot that Monitors Altcoin Markets. ICO in 48 Hours! - FinSMEs (blog) - May 24th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week? (May 22nd, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2017
- Altcoin Price Increases and How CryptoPing May Help Traders - The Merkle - May 24th, 2017
- Another crypto bubble and the rise of altcoin markets - Brave New Coin - May 15th, 2017
- CryptoPing Altcoin Intelligence Bot Announces ICO - The Merkle - May 15th, 2017
- What is crypto-currency? Learn everything you need to know. - May 10th, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (May 8th, 2016) - Live Bitcoin News - May 8th, 2017
- Altcoin Market Takes A Hit and Bounces Back Amid US$3bn Trading Spree - Live Bitcoin News - May 8th, 2017
- Total Cryptocurrency Market Cap Inches Closer Toward US$40bn ... - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Price is Once Again Above Gold Despite 'Altcoin Bubble ... - Inside Bitcoins - April 26th, 2017
- Altcoins Planning Segwit Integration Experience Price Pumps - Nigeria Today - April 26th, 2017
- Poloniex Altcoin Exchange Review - The Merkle - April 25th, 2017
- Ether Price Analysis: ETH Altcoin Dominance Continues - Bitcoin Magazine - April 21st, 2017
- Altcoiner Lets All Bitcoin Holders Earn A Daily Passive Income By Trading Altcoins - newsBTC - April 12th, 2017
- PIVX Growth Not Influenced by Dash nor Bitcoin in Altcoin Swell - CryptoCoinsNews - April 11th, 2017
- Altcoins See Their Value Go Up As They Inch Closer to Activating SegWit - Live Bitcoin News - April 10th, 2017
- Decred Benefits From Bitcoin Impasse, Joins Altcoins' Rise - CryptoCoinsNews - April 8th, 2017
- Altcoin-Fiat Trading Rises, BitPanda Adds Dash-Euro Trading - CoinTelegraph - April 2nd, 2017
- Ripple Price Surge Continues, Altcoin Takes Advantage Of Bitcoin Scaling Troubles - CoinTelegraph - April 2nd, 2017
- SpectroCoin Announces Altcoin Support for Bitcoin Debit Cards - AllCoinsNews.com (blog) - March 28th, 2017
- Top 3 Altcoin Pumpers in History - The Merkle - March 28th, 2017