The crypto markets seem to be in another bubble, orders of magnitude bigger than the last. However, this time a lot of the money is flowing into altcoins interestingly enough. How this situation will play out and where the market will stabilise at will be a really interesting story to watch unfold – whether Bitcoin will re-capture the market, or will some other crypto take its place. I would like to take this time to go over some of the history that brought us here however, as it’s also a fascinating tale (if you like graphs).
Here is a short version of the story, in one graph by Woobull:
Bitcoin network congestion, market dominance, and altcoin marketcap
This is a cautionary tale for Bitcoin, but before we can really talk about how Bitcoin might be impacted, we have to talk about some altcoins. So strap yourself in for this whale of a tale in 9 charts…
The story of this bubble really starts around 2015, when some Bitcoin core developers wanted to address the network congestion they saw coming in Bitcoin. This was the start of the Bitcoin scaling debatethat gave rise to BitcoinXT, Bitcoin Unlimited, SegWit, UASF, etc. The writing was on the walls – if Bitcoin continued to grow in popularity, soon the blocks would be full and we would have to deal with the consequences. Two years have passed, and no consensus has been reached, thus priming us for the current events.
The bubble proper was started by the disagreement on how to scale Bitcoin. At the moment, there were two major solutions being proposed to address the issue – SegWitand Bitcoin Unlimited. Perhaps tired of waiting for consensus to emerge, perhaps prompted by Roger Ver’s ambitions, Bitcoin Unlimited started to rally people behind its hard fork. Those came in two main waves – around October 2016, and March 2017, increasing both node count and number of blocks mined.
Bitcoin Unlimited node count
Bitcoin Unlimited mined blocks (green)
The fact that Bitcoin Unlimited was gaining momentum, coupled withrumours of a planned 51% attackto culla network splitmade serious waves in the community. We were faced with a real possibility thatthe network will fork and perhaps split. Every major player was taking sides in the discussion, and the tensions kept rising. The problem got exacerbated by the Covert ASICBOOST scandal. If Bitcoin had a doomsday clockfor the network splitting, it would probably be uncomfortably close to midnight.
With the uncertainty of Bitcoin’s future and the rising tensions, other events started to take place.
2016 has been a bit of a rollercoaster for Ethereum. The year started at a sub-dollar price per ETH, reached about 20 USD/ETH due to The DAO, then slumped to about 7 USD/ETH after its hard fork and network split. The new year started on a positive note with a roadmap for the future of Ethereum. ETHs were sitting comfortably at #2 market spot by market cap, increasing a bit with Bitcoin price increases (1, 2, 3, 4) as you’d expect in a calm market.
Then March came along. Bitcoin Unlimited started gaining popularity, and the fear of a potential Bitcoin network split started shaping the market. While historically Bitcoin has been seen as the stable gold standard among cryptos, the safe heaven you’d park your money at if you didn’t want to cash out into fiat. However, with the future of the network being uncertain, some people decided to move their wealth elsewhere.
March was the month where Bitcoin slumped and Ethereum was there to pick up the money moving away (1, 2, 3, 4). You can practically see the ~21B USD market cap shifting gently towards Ethereum, giving it a boost from 1.6B USD to 4.6B USD in that month, while Bitcoin went from 20B USD to 15B USD.
Bitcoin price chart
Ethereum price chart
In April the Bitcoin situation started to calm down. Bitcoins started to recover along with their market cap going back to 21B USD by the end of the month (1, 2, 3, 4, 5). However, another important development started brewing elsewhere…
Litecoin has always been “silver to Bitcoin’s gold”, its shadow. Sometimes outperforming Bitcoin price increases percentage-wise, but rarely making a big splash overall. Seeing Bitcoin stumble with its scaling solutions, it seized on the opportunity to make a name for itself.
What is important to remember, is that Litecoin can be classified as a “copycoin” – a cryptocurrency largely operating similar to Bitcoin, on a pretty similar codebase with minor tweaks. It’s so similar, that by chance or negligence, Litecoin’s multisig addresses have the same prefix as Bitcoin. Copycoins in general operate on hype and innovation (real or manufactured) – there are so many similar coins that if you don’t stand out from the crowd, you’re going nowhere.
While Litecoin did not have the network congestion issues of Bitcoin, it still decided to improve its network and push for SegWit adoption. While it looks like the process started in February, there was a considerable rally for SegWit in late March, as indicated by the sudden jump in SegWit blocks and market activity.
Litecoin SegWit adoption
Litecoin price chart
The process was spearheaded by Charlie Lee, the creator of Litecoin. A notable opposition to the SegWit progress were Bitmain and Antpool. Supposedly they were blocking Litecoin’s SegWit activation to prevent further SegWit adoption on the Bitcoin blockchain, where they are allegedly profiting from Covert ASICBOOST. After a long ordeal, Litecoin finally locked in and activated SegWit mere days ago.
There have been some other altcoins that also followed Litecoin’s SegWit adoption, but their stories aren’t that interesting.
The price also reflected that – going from under 5 USD/LTC at the start of the year with about 220M USD market cap, to a high of 35 USD/LTC and 1.8B USD market cap in the recent weeks. While this would normally allow it to take #3 spot on the crypto market cap list, another network had a meteoric rise that came largely out of nowhere…
Ripple has had a mixed reputation in the Bitcoin community. It’s the oldest and one of the most prominent Crypto 2.0 networks. It has been caught the ire of bitcoiners in 2013 for being seen as “pro-regulation” during US Senate hearings,declared dead in 2014(Bitcoin has been declared dead over 100 times now), has been fined by FinCEN for Bank Secrecy Act Violations, etc. Ripple Labs have developed essentially a competitor to its own network – the Interledger Protocol.
However, more recently it looks like the company is going back to its roots and focusing on the Ripple network. It stated publishing quarterly market reports on XRPsand talking about its plans for the future. There are more and more news about various banks using its network. All in all, it looks like the market has warmed up to the currency:
Ripple price chart
While we see a small blip on the chart in early April when it crossed 1B USD market cap, the currency started to enter a meteoric rise around the start of May (1, 2, 3). The year started with a market cap of 220M USD and a price of 0.006 USD/XRP, while currently it sits at 8.4B USD and 0.22 USD/XRP.
Now, let’s look at how this all comes together.
At the time of writing, we this is how the market looks like:
#1 Bitcoin – price: 1813 USD/BTC, market cap: 29.6B USD #2 Ripple – price: 0.22 USD/XRP, market cap: 8.4B USD #3 Ethereum – price: 90.8 USD/ETH, market cap: 8.3 BUSD #4 Litecoin – price: 29.6 USD/LTC, market cap: 1.5B USD
Total market capitalisation of all coins: 55B USD, of which 25B USD are in altcoins. This means Bitcoin’s market dominance is under 55%, while at the start of the story, it was about 85%:
Bitcoin has historically been the “gold standard” for crypto. The market leader, the first mover, the biggest whale. However, it seems like in this market if you’re standing still, you’re moving backwards.
Since the start of our story, Bitcoin has periodically dipped in its price, but overall we’re seeing all-time high price. The recovery was probably due to people worrying less about the potential network split that might come from Bitcoin Unlimited. Bitcoin is certainly stronger than ever, but there might also be blood in the water – despite the price of bitcoins rising, so too did the altcoin markets grew in leaps and bounds.
Whether this bubble we’re in right now (and it certainly has the look of a bubble) will pop hard and the market will rebound in Bitcoin’s favour, or whether a new paradigm will be made where bitcoins play less of a dominant role, only time will tell. It is very unlikely Bitcoin will ever sink too deep into the coin list, but if the scaling stalemate continues, Bitcoin’s advantage will be eroded over time.
For years one could easily dismiss altcoins as being a fad, nowhere near as mature as Bitcoin. But at some point you have to realise you might have to compete for your top dog spot. We’re living in a market that is used to exponential growth, and Bitcoin’s market cap is “only” two doublings away from its next competitor.
We are probably in the biggest crypto bubble to date. Not only has once again reached its all-time high price recently, but the altcoins have also grew by leaps and bounds. In the near future, I would expect some large contraction, especially in the alt market. Litecoin will probably dip back down now that SegWit is activated and its rally is over. It will be interesting to see where the money will flow if the value of bitcoins will pop – whether people will be cashing out to fiat, or altcoins. The biggest threat for Bitcoin is still the scaling issue – if that’s not dealt with soon, the issue might just go away… along with many Bitcoin users that will switch to some of the alternatives.
Go here to read the rest:
Another crypto bubble and the rise of altcoin markets – Brave New Coin
- Crypto Conundrum: Bullish Bitcoin Price Action Halts Altcoin ... - April 24th, 2019
- Altcoin Season 2019 Thrives: Everex (EVX) Leading Binance ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is an Altcoin? - CCN - February 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Trader South Africa - ice3x Altcoin Exchange ... - February 2nd, 2019
- Altcointrader.co.za Review - Altcoin Trader, Login ... - January 27th, 2019
- Bitcoin History Part 5: A Wild Altcoin Appears - Bitcoin News - January 9th, 2019
- Latest News on Altcoin | Altcoin Breaking News | DC Forecasts - January 9th, 2019
- Altcoin Daily Preview: Tron (TRX) Could Bounce back ... - January 9th, 2019
- Most promising Altcoins and ... - Captain Altcoin - January 8th, 2019
- Altcoin - Investopedia - December 12th, 2018
- GoChain (GO): Here's Why This Altcoin Might $GO All The ... - November 10th, 2018
- Find The Best Bitcoin, Altcoin, or Multi-Cryptocurrency ... - November 10th, 2018
- Altcoins Explained | The Best Altcoin Guide for the Beginning ... - October 3rd, 2018
- Altcoin.io | The cryptocurrency exchange of the future | Wefunder - September 30th, 2018
- Android Bitcoin ~ Altcoin Price Ticker ~ Coin Maker - September 4th, 2018
- 7 Altcoin Exchanges Without KYC & AML - CoinSutra - August 22nd, 2018
- Altcoin News Archives - Ethereum World News - August 7th, 2018
- How to Choose Which Altcoin to Invest In? - Coinidol.com - August 7th, 2018
- Altcoin News | Altcoin News today | Latest Altcoin News - July 27th, 2018
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.com - June 24th, 2018
- Guide: Compiling an altcoin daemon in Ubuntu Linux ... - May 31st, 2018
- Top 3 Altcoin Trading Exchanges - [Reviews and Ratings] - May 27th, 2018
- PacCoin VPS Masternode Guide AltCoin Guide - May 12th, 2018
- Asian Cryptocurrency Trading Roundup: Top Altcoin is Tron ... - May 10th, 2018
- Alternate Cryptocurrencies aka altcoins r/altcoin - reddit - May 9th, 2018
- Garzik Forks UnitedBitcoin Away from "Maximalists" to Support Altcoin ... - April 13th, 2018
- Bitcoin, Altcoin and Cryptography explained - April 4th, 2018
- ZClassic and the Bitcoin Private fork : altcoin - March 4th, 2018
- Altcoin Trustworthy Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange? - March 4th, 2018
- Blockfolio Bitcoin Altcoin App on the App Store - March 4th, 2018
- Morning Asian Altcoin Trading Roundup: the leader is Tron - February 28th, 2018
- Webinar: Bitcoin Overshadowed by Altcoin Surge - Nasdaq.com - February 12th, 2018
- Bitcoin Mine News Bitcoin & Altcoin Mining & Trading News - January 7th, 2018
- Ethereum, Litecoin Prices Headline $20 Billion Altcoin Rally - January 7th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - CryptoCurrency Facts - January 4th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - ccn.com - December 20th, 2017
- Trading Bitcoin for an Altcoin Won't Shield You From the IRS ... - December 20th, 2017
- Buy or Sell Bitcoin, Litecoin, Altcoin Multi Crypto Currency ... - December 20th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange Performs First Atomic Swap Between Bitcoin ... - December 6th, 2017
- GitHub - ander7agar/altcoin-rpc: A modern Bitcoin Core REST ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Altcoins - BTCMANAGER - November 28th, 2017
- Markets Update: Bitcoin Bull-Run Primes Altcoin Markets for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange, the Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - October 17th, 2017
- Altcoin Watchlist | Meet & Learn Cryptocurrencies - October 4th, 2017
- CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ... - September 6th, 2017
- ATC Coin Review: ATCC altcoin with massively inflated ... - September 5th, 2017
- JRM Altcoin Update - Quit chasing the headlines! - YouTube - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Statistics Confirm BCH is Just Another Altcoin - Live Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (31st of August, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - September 1st, 2017
- OpenBazaar Developers May Introduce Altcoin Support in the Near Future - The Merkle - August 27th, 2017
- Exante launches XAI, the world's first altcoin fund - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- ALTCOIN | Bitcoin Insider - August 23rd, 2017
- Altcoin Forum - Alternative Cryptocurrecies Location - August 23rd, 2017
- Op Ed: Drivechains Could Kill Off the Altcoin Market - August 22nd, 2017
- Nakamoto Institute Daniel Krawisz: I Don't Like Altcoins, but I Like Forks - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Bithumb, Highest Volume Exchange Globally, Adds Monero - Inside Bitcoins - August 22nd, 2017
- One-Man Band To Create The Second Altcoin Forum In The World - Coin Idol (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- When altcoin life imitates art - FT Alphaville (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- ALTCOIN CAPITAL - Trusted Crypto Traders - August 12th, 2017
- Overstock Now Accepts Various Altcoins for Payment - Including ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- What are Altcoins and ICOs Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday - 99 Bitcoins (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Symbol BCC Belongs to BitConnect Coin, Not Bitcoin Cash - Markets Insider - August 8th, 2017
- Crypto-Startup Hubcoin Announces Distribution of Pre-Mined HUB to Altcoin Developers - Bitcoinist - August 3rd, 2017
- This Altcoin Is Ready to Challenge Bitcoin's Domination of the ... - Futurism - July 31st, 2017
- Beginning of altcoin's end: US signals digital coins may be subject to federal securities law - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2017
- All Major Indian Exchanges Reject Bitcoin Cash Completely - Live Bitcoin News - July 31st, 2017
- Global Advisors Launches ICO and Altcoin Closed-End Private Fund - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2017
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.co.za - Google - July 9th, 2017
- Payza Commits to Cryptocurrency: Unveils Full Bitcoin Services, Introduces Altcoin Exchanges - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2017
- What is an Altcoin? Bitcoin Magazine - July 7th, 2017
- CryptoPing completes $2.5 million ICO to further develop altcoin trading intel bot - CryptoNinjas - July 4th, 2017
- Saturday Slump: Ethereum, Bitcoin Prices Headline Crypto Market Downturn - CryptoCoinsNews - July 1st, 2017
- Monday Massacre: Bitcoin, Ethereum Lead the Way as Cryptocurrencies Retreat into the Red - CryptoCoinsNews - June 26th, 2017
- Altcoin signal app CryptoPing set to conclude ICO with over $1m already raised - CryptoNinjas - June 25th, 2017
- EasyMINE: Altcoin Mining for Everyone - Coin Idol (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Altcoin 2017 Forecast: Litecoin (LTC), Peercoin (PPC ... - June 18th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (16th of June, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - June 17th, 2017
- Bitcoin Altcoin Trader Price Analysis - June 13th, 2017
- 'Real Businesses are Using Waves', Says Rep as Altcoin Crosses $600 Million Market Cap - CryptoCoinsNews - June 11th, 2017
- Altcoin Definition | Investopedia - June 9th, 2017