Quick inner navigation:
By now most of the people have been introduced to or at least have heard of the world of cryptocurrencies on news, especially since the price of Bitcoins has skyrocketed. This rapid growth has not been limited to Bitcoins alone, many Altcoins have also experienced an upsurge in demand.
As the name suggests, Altcoins are alternative (Alt) coins which appear to be alternative to Bitcoins. Bitcoin and altcoins, in general, can have many similarities like- peer to peer transaction, mining process, etc. Various altcoins are trying to target the limitations of Bitcoins, like its long transaction time, lack of anonymity, expensive and difficult mining process and insufficient functionality.
The first altcoin was created in 2011 and it was known as Namecoin. This altcoin was released soon after Bitcoins launch and addressed similar issues trying to solve those through a decentralized network.
Like any other currency, the success of cryptocurrencies to is mainly dependent upon a wide array of parameters like community, hype and more. Let us explain and elaborate the ideas.
As every method can have its own unique advantages and disadvantages, the negatives of the proof of work protocol are listed below:
On the other hand, the proof of stake protocol removes the above-mentioned challenges of a POW protocol through the following features:
Hence, altcoins that use the Proof of Stake protocol are likely to gain greater popularity as neither do they require a high-grade setup nor do they consume a high level of electricity. However, the proof of stake protocol also carries certain loopholes. For instance, if the majority of the tokens are owned by a small group of people, then they themselves will be the validators. Learn more about Proof of work vs Proof of stake.
Steem >> Steem is a platform targeting YouTube creators dependency on advertisements for revenue. It does so by paying their creators in cryptocurrency on the basis of the quality of their content. So, it has features similar to Bitcoin like decentralization as well as unique features such as encouraging people to participate in a community. It is also a lot more stable than Bitcoin, which enables users to use it to buy goods and services.
Ethereum >>It is a blockchain based platform that has decentralized applications and smart contracts that have no single point of failure and are autonomous. Ethereum is written in Turing complete language, which provides it with a broader base to build on and broader markets to enter. It also has a much shorter block time than Bitcoin.
Stratis >> It aims to create private blockchains for corporations. It allowsfor complete sidechains that are non-disruptive to the primary blockchain. It also uses proof of stake method. Stratis has used C# language rather than C++ language.
Litecoin >> Its presents itself as a substitute currency of Bitcoin. It has targeted Bitcoins problem of slow transaction that normally takes around 10 minutes. On the other hand, Litecoin transaction just takes 2.5 minutes. This fast transaction also helps in preventing double-spending attacks. Also, Litecoin uses a cryptographic algorithm called Scrypt, which is less susceptible to custom hardware solutions likeApplication-Specific Integrated Circuits which are increasingly being used by bitcoin miners. This makes it more accessible to the users who wish to participate as miners.
Cardano >>It aims to be a decentralized cryptocurrency, which protects user privacy while allowing regulation simultaneously. Cardano is also a technology platform upon which more financial applications can be built.
Monero >>It wants to create a decentralized network where payments can be made completely anonymously. It tries to maintain a public ledger that stores all the transactions. It is a derivative of CryptoNote and thus uses the CryptoNight Proof of Work as the algorithm. To maintain the users privacy Monero uses ring signature, which allows the user to hide among other transaction outputs, stealth address to hide the receivers address and RingCT to hide the amount of the transaction.
ICO (Initial Coin Offering)>>It is a mean of crowdfunding that is especially centered on cryptocurrencies, which can be a source of capital for startup companies. It is very different from IPO. In an IPO, for instance, when you invest money you are given a certain ownership in the company but in an ICO when you invest, you are given a token of the given company. It may not be worth anything at that time, but in the future, the value can increase exponentially, when it is used a lot and is in high circulation. The token of the company is like a stock, with more money coming in, the token value rises.
Like any other commodity, altcoins are also traded to yield significant rewards. These appear to be a highly volatile market. Thus, one must be cautious while trading. Altcoin marketplaces are governed by the same forces and rule that govern the traditional investments. You can trade them at Cryptocurrency Exchanges like:
This is a Europe based cryptocurrency exchange. It uses 2-factorauthentication, advanced encryption technology and cold storagefor protection. There is no deposit fee required but withdrawal fees vary from currency to currency. There are no limits on cryptocurrency deposits and withdrawal. An order which is not executed immediately will be granted a0.1% rebate on execution. Orders executed immediately will incur a1% execution fee. In early 2015 this site was hacked but they claim that no user funds were affected.
Binance is a multi-language (Chinese, English, Japanese, Korean) exchange platform that focuses on a coin to coin exchange. The platform uses multi-tier and multi-cluster system architecture that provides safety and stability. It is capable of processing 1.4 million orders per second. It also claims to have high liquidity. It even has its own cryptocurrency called Binance Coin. It charges a 0.1% fee for trading and no deposit fee.
The number of people who exchange altcoin keeps increasing constantly. As a new sphere, both Bitcoins and altcoins are risky and have some flaws. However, day by day, new altcoins or the current ones manage to overcome the current obstacles if the industry. As a result, altocins become more famous and commonly used.
We hope this article about altcoins 2018 was helpful.
please make sure you check out our website to learn more about various altcoins, Bitcoins, ICOs and a lot more. Thank you, for next time!
- Altcoin - Investopedia - December 12th, 2018
- GoChain (GO): Here's Why This Altcoin Might $GO All The ... - November 10th, 2018
- Find The Best Bitcoin, Altcoin, or Multi-Cryptocurrency ... - November 10th, 2018
- Altcoin.io | The cryptocurrency exchange of the future | Wefunder - September 30th, 2018
- Android Bitcoin ~ Altcoin Price Ticker ~ Coin Maker - September 4th, 2018
- 7 Altcoin Exchanges Without KYC & AML - CoinSutra - August 22nd, 2018
- Altcoin News Archives - Ethereum World News - August 7th, 2018
- How to Choose Which Altcoin to Invest In? - Coinidol.com - August 7th, 2018
- Altcoin News | Altcoin News today | Latest Altcoin News - July 27th, 2018
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.com - June 24th, 2018
- Guide: Compiling an altcoin daemon in Ubuntu Linux ... - May 31st, 2018
- Top 3 Altcoin Trading Exchanges - [Reviews and Ratings] - May 27th, 2018
- PacCoin VPS Masternode Guide AltCoin Guide - May 12th, 2018
- Asian Cryptocurrency Trading Roundup: Top Altcoin is Tron ... - May 10th, 2018
- Alternate Cryptocurrencies aka altcoins r/altcoin - reddit - May 9th, 2018
- Garzik Forks UnitedBitcoin Away from "Maximalists" to Support Altcoin ... - April 13th, 2018
- Bitcoin, Altcoin and Cryptography explained - April 4th, 2018
- ZClassic and the Bitcoin Private fork : altcoin - March 4th, 2018
- Altcoin Trustworthy Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange? - March 4th, 2018
- Blockfolio Bitcoin Altcoin App on the App Store - March 4th, 2018
- Morning Asian Altcoin Trading Roundup: the leader is Tron - February 28th, 2018
- Webinar: Bitcoin Overshadowed by Altcoin Surge - Nasdaq.com - February 12th, 2018
- Bitcoin Mine News Bitcoin & Altcoin Mining & Trading News - January 7th, 2018
- Ethereum, Litecoin Prices Headline $20 Billion Altcoin Rally - January 7th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - CryptoCurrency Facts - January 4th, 2018
- What is an Altcoin? - ccn.com - December 20th, 2017
- Trading Bitcoin for an Altcoin Won't Shield You From the IRS ... - December 20th, 2017
- Buy or Sell Bitcoin, Litecoin, Altcoin Multi Crypto Currency ... - December 20th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange Performs First Atomic Swap Between Bitcoin ... - December 6th, 2017
- GitHub - ander7agar/altcoin-rpc: A modern Bitcoin Core REST ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Altcoins - BTCMANAGER - November 28th, 2017
- Markets Update: Bitcoin Bull-Run Primes Altcoin Markets for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange, the Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - October 17th, 2017
- Altcoin Watchlist | Meet & Learn Cryptocurrencies - October 4th, 2017
- CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ... - September 6th, 2017
- ATC Coin Review: ATCC altcoin with massively inflated ... - September 5th, 2017
- JRM Altcoin Update - Quit chasing the headlines! - YouTube - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Statistics Confirm BCH is Just Another Altcoin - Live Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (31st of August, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - September 1st, 2017
- OpenBazaar Developers May Introduce Altcoin Support in the Near Future - The Merkle - August 27th, 2017
- Exante launches XAI, the world's first altcoin fund - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- ALTCOIN | Bitcoin Insider - August 23rd, 2017
- Altcoin Forum - Alternative Cryptocurrecies Location - August 23rd, 2017
- Op Ed: Drivechains Could Kill Off the Altcoin Market - August 22nd, 2017
- Nakamoto Institute Daniel Krawisz: I Don't Like Altcoins, but I Like Forks - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Bithumb, Highest Volume Exchange Globally, Adds Monero - Inside Bitcoins - August 22nd, 2017
- One-Man Band To Create The Second Altcoin Forum In The World - Coin Idol (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- When altcoin life imitates art - FT Alphaville (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- ALTCOIN CAPITAL - Trusted Crypto Traders - August 12th, 2017
- Overstock Now Accepts Various Altcoins for Payment - Including ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- What are Altcoins and ICOs Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday - 99 Bitcoins (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Symbol BCC Belongs to BitConnect Coin, Not Bitcoin Cash - Markets Insider - August 8th, 2017
- Crypto-Startup Hubcoin Announces Distribution of Pre-Mined HUB to Altcoin Developers - Bitcoinist - August 3rd, 2017
- This Altcoin Is Ready to Challenge Bitcoin's Domination of the ... - Futurism - July 31st, 2017
- Beginning of altcoin's end: US signals digital coins may be subject to federal securities law - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2017
- All Major Indian Exchanges Reject Bitcoin Cash Completely - Live Bitcoin News - July 31st, 2017
- Global Advisors Launches ICO and Altcoin Closed-End Private Fund - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2017
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.co.za - Google - July 9th, 2017
- Payza Commits to Cryptocurrency: Unveils Full Bitcoin Services, Introduces Altcoin Exchanges - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2017
- What is an Altcoin? Bitcoin Magazine - July 7th, 2017
- CryptoPing completes $2.5 million ICO to further develop altcoin trading intel bot - CryptoNinjas - July 4th, 2017
- Saturday Slump: Ethereum, Bitcoin Prices Headline Crypto Market Downturn - CryptoCoinsNews - July 1st, 2017
- Monday Massacre: Bitcoin, Ethereum Lead the Way as Cryptocurrencies Retreat into the Red - CryptoCoinsNews - June 26th, 2017
- Altcoin signal app CryptoPing set to conclude ICO with over $1m already raised - CryptoNinjas - June 25th, 2017
- EasyMINE: Altcoin Mining for Everyone - Coin Idol (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Altcoin 2017 Forecast: Litecoin (LTC), Peercoin (PPC ... - June 18th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (16th of June, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - June 17th, 2017
- Bitcoin Altcoin Trader Price Analysis - June 13th, 2017
- 'Real Businesses are Using Waves', Says Rep as Altcoin Crosses $600 Million Market Cap - CryptoCoinsNews - June 11th, 2017
- Altcoin Definition | Investopedia - June 9th, 2017
- Top 6 Altcoin Exchanges you may Have Never Heard of - The Merkle - June 8th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (6th of June, 2017)? - Live Bitcoin News - June 6th, 2017
- Altcoin intel bot CryptoPing ICO now live - CryptoNinjas - June 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum Just The Tip Of The Iceberg For Cryptocurrencies - ETF Daily News (blog) - May 30th, 2017
- All Top 20 Altcoins Fall By At Least 30%, Ripple Down to $6.2 Billion - CryptoCoinsNews - May 28th, 2017
- CryptoPing, the Cryptocurrency Bot that Monitors Altcoin Markets. ICO in 48 Hours! - FinSMEs (blog) - May 24th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week? (May 22nd, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2017
- Altcoin Price Increases and How CryptoPing May Help Traders - The Merkle - May 24th, 2017
- Another crypto bubble and the rise of altcoin markets - Brave New Coin - May 15th, 2017
- CryptoPing Altcoin Intelligence Bot Announces ICO - The Merkle - May 15th, 2017