Bitcoin, which experienced a 20 percent price drop from $2,500 to $1,900, actually had a relatively decent day.
All top 20 alternative cryptocurrencies (altcoins) declined by at least 30 percent on March 27, with some cryptocurrencies demonstrating a sharp decline in price by around 40 percent.
Ripple experienced a massive short-term decline in market cap, after seeing a staggering $10 billion decrease within a week. In a seven-day period, Ripples market cap plunged from $17 billion to $6.2 billion. On May 27, Ripple also experienced a nearly 50 percent drop in price, triggering concerns from investors in Japan and South Korea, where the majority of Ripples trading volume is concentrated in.
Other prominent blockchain networks and cryptocurrencies such as Ethereum, Litecoin, Ethereum Classic and NEM have also seen a sharp drop in market cap, as the entire cryptocurrency market crashed overnight.
Ryan Selkis, former BitGo executive, previously stated that bitcoin has become a conservative investment for cryptocurrency investors. An increasing number of traders and investors have begun to eye ICO tokens and other cryptocurrencies such as Ethereum and NEM that often demonstrate higher returns and larger fluctuations.
I dont know when it happened, but at some point it became relatively conservative to invest in bitcoin, which is mind-blowing, noted Selkis.
However, it is also important to consider the dependence of altcoins on bitcoin and the network effect it presents over the cryptocurrency market. Often, as seen on May 27, significant drop in the price of bitcoin leads to the decline of other altcoins. In most cases, altcoins suffer deeper declines in market cap and price in contrast to bitcoin.
Today for instance, bitcoin saw a 20 percent decline in price while altcoins such as Ripple, NEM, Stellar Lumens and Golem experienced nearly a 50 percent decline in market cap. After dipping below $1,900, bitcoin price has already recovered beyond $2,050. Meanwhile, the majority of altcoins are struggling to recover and regain momentum.
Bitcoin has also regained its 50% dominance over the cryptocurrency market, which it failed to secure over the past few months, primarily due to the strong rally of Ethereum and Ripple.
Unexpectedly, the majority of investors within the cryptocurrency market believes that bitcoin will not be the dominant blockchain after the market matures. Even successful billionaire early-stage investors such as Fred Wilson have previously stated that bitcoin will not be the dominant blockchain. At the Techonomy NYC event, Wilson stated:
Bitcoin probably will not be the dominant public blockchain.
Yet, bitcoins dominance and influence over other altcoins have been evident on todays decline of the cryptocurrency market. Furthermore, bitcoin accounts for over 50 percent of most altcoins trading volumes. In other words, the BTC/altcoin pair is usually the largest trading pair for all altcoins including Ripple and Ethereum.
Casual traders and small-scale investors follow mainstream and influential figures such as Fred Wilson for investment advice and outlook on bitcoin. The truth is, most of these experts outside of the cryptocurrency market and industry have been inaccurate in predicting future events. Wilson previously stated that a fork was imminent and that Open Bazaar was going to be the killer app of bitcoin. None of the two predictions turned out to be correct.
Investors should take away two important lessons from todays altcoin or cryptocurrency market decline: altcoins investors turn back to bitcoin in times of instability and uncertainty and bitcoin often recovers from short-term decline caused by bubbles and major corrections.
Featured image from Shutterstock.
Originally posted here:
All Top 20 Altcoins Fall By At Least 30%, Ripple Down to $6.2 Billion – CryptoCoinsNews
- FUNFAIR IS THE BEST ALTCOIN - YouTube - December 13th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange Performs First Atomic Swap Between Bitcoin ... - December 6th, 2017
- GitHub - ander7agar/altcoin-rpc: A modern Bitcoin Core REST ... - December 2nd, 2017
- Altcoins - BTCMANAGER - November 28th, 2017
- Markets Update: Bitcoin Bull-Run Primes Altcoin Markets for ... - November 25th, 2017
- Altcoin Exchange, the Decentralized Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - October 17th, 2017
- Altcoin Watchlist | Meet & Learn Cryptocurrencies - October 4th, 2017
- CryptoCurrency Investing: Research and Due-Diligence ... - September 6th, 2017
- ATC Coin Review: ATCC altcoin with massively inflated ... - September 5th, 2017
- JRM Altcoin Update - Quit chasing the headlines! - YouTube - September 4th, 2017
- Bitcoin Cash Statistics Confirm BCH is Just Another Altcoin - Live Bitcoin News - September 2nd, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (31st of August, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - September 1st, 2017
- OpenBazaar Developers May Introduce Altcoin Support in the Near Future - The Merkle - August 27th, 2017
- Exante launches XAI, the world's first altcoin fund - GlobeNewswire (press release) - August 25th, 2017
- ALTCOIN | Bitcoin Insider - August 23rd, 2017
- Altcoin Forum - Alternative Cryptocurrecies Location - August 23rd, 2017
- Op Ed: Drivechains Could Kill Off the Altcoin Market - August 22nd, 2017
- Nakamoto Institute Daniel Krawisz: I Don't Like Altcoins, but I Like Forks - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 22nd, 2017
- Bithumb, Highest Volume Exchange Globally, Adds Monero - Inside Bitcoins - August 22nd, 2017
- One-Man Band To Create The Second Altcoin Forum In The World - Coin Idol (press release) - August 18th, 2017
- When altcoin life imitates art - FT Alphaville (registration) - August 14th, 2017
- ALTCOIN CAPITAL - Trusted Crypto Traders - August 12th, 2017
- Overstock Now Accepts Various Altcoins for Payment - Including ... - Bitcoin News (press release) - August 10th, 2017
- What are Altcoins and ICOs Bitcoin Whiteboard Tuesday - 99 Bitcoins (blog) - August 9th, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Symbol BCC Belongs to BitConnect Coin, Not Bitcoin Cash - Markets Insider - August 8th, 2017
- Crypto-Startup Hubcoin Announces Distribution of Pre-Mined HUB to Altcoin Developers - Bitcoinist - August 3rd, 2017
- This Altcoin Is Ready to Challenge Bitcoin's Domination of the ... - Futurism - July 31st, 2017
- Beginning of altcoin's end: US signals digital coins may be subject to federal securities law - CalvinAyre.com - July 31st, 2017
- All Major Indian Exchanges Reject Bitcoin Cash Completely - Live Bitcoin News - July 31st, 2017
- Global Advisors Launches ICO and Altcoin Closed-End Private Fund - Finance Magnates - July 31st, 2017
- USING ALTCOIN TRADER - rsainvestments.blogspot.co.za - Google - July 9th, 2017
- Payza Commits to Cryptocurrency: Unveils Full Bitcoin Services, Introduces Altcoin Exchanges - CoinDesk - July 7th, 2017
- What is an Altcoin? Bitcoin Magazine - July 7th, 2017
- CryptoPing completes $2.5 million ICO to further develop altcoin trading intel bot - CryptoNinjas - July 4th, 2017
- Saturday Slump: Ethereum, Bitcoin Prices Headline Crypto Market Downturn - CryptoCoinsNews - July 1st, 2017
- Monday Massacre: Bitcoin, Ethereum Lead the Way as Cryptocurrencies Retreat into the Red - CryptoCoinsNews - June 26th, 2017
- Altcoin signal app CryptoPing set to conclude ICO with over $1m already raised - CryptoNinjas - June 25th, 2017
- EasyMINE: Altcoin Mining for Everyone - Coin Idol (press release) - June 22nd, 2017
- Altcoin 2017 Forecast: Litecoin (LTC), Peercoin (PPC ... - June 18th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (16th of June, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - June 17th, 2017
- Bitcoin Altcoin Trader Price Analysis - June 13th, 2017
- 'Real Businesses are Using Waves', Says Rep as Altcoin Crosses $600 Million Market Cap - CryptoCoinsNews - June 11th, 2017
- Altcoin Definition | Investopedia - June 9th, 2017
- Top 6 Altcoin Exchanges you may Have Never Heard of - The Merkle - June 8th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week (6th of June, 2017)? - Live Bitcoin News - June 6th, 2017
- Altcoin intel bot CryptoPing ICO now live - CryptoNinjas - June 5th, 2017
- Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum Just The Tip Of The Iceberg For Cryptocurrencies - ETF Daily News (blog) - May 30th, 2017
- CryptoPing, the Cryptocurrency Bot that Monitors Altcoin Markets. ICO in 48 Hours! - FinSMEs (blog) - May 24th, 2017
- Which Altcoins To Buy This Week? (May 22nd, 2017) - Live Bitcoin News - May 24th, 2017
- Altcoin Price Increases and How CryptoPing May Help Traders - The Merkle - May 24th, 2017
- Another crypto bubble and the rise of altcoin markets - Brave New Coin - May 15th, 2017
- CryptoPing Altcoin Intelligence Bot Announces ICO - The Merkle - May 15th, 2017
- What is crypto-currency? Learn everything you need to know. - May 10th, 2017
- Which Altcoins to Buy This Week? (May 8th, 2016) - Live Bitcoin News - May 8th, 2017
- Altcoin Market Takes A Hit and Bounces Back Amid US$3bn Trading Spree - Live Bitcoin News - May 8th, 2017
- Total Cryptocurrency Market Cap Inches Closer Toward US$40bn ... - newsBTC - May 2nd, 2017
- Bitcoin Price is Once Again Above Gold Despite 'Altcoin Bubble ... - Inside Bitcoins - April 26th, 2017
- Altcoins Planning Segwit Integration Experience Price Pumps - Nigeria Today - April 26th, 2017
- Poloniex Altcoin Exchange Review - The Merkle - April 25th, 2017
- Ether Price Analysis: ETH Altcoin Dominance Continues - Bitcoin Magazine - April 21st, 2017
- Altcoiner Lets All Bitcoin Holders Earn A Daily Passive Income By Trading Altcoins - newsBTC - April 12th, 2017
- PIVX Growth Not Influenced by Dash nor Bitcoin in Altcoin Swell - CryptoCoinsNews - April 11th, 2017
- Altcoins See Their Value Go Up As They Inch Closer to Activating SegWit - Live Bitcoin News - April 10th, 2017
- Decred Benefits From Bitcoin Impasse, Joins Altcoins' Rise - CryptoCoinsNews - April 8th, 2017
- Altcoin-Fiat Trading Rises, BitPanda Adds Dash-Euro Trading - CoinTelegraph - April 2nd, 2017
- Ripple Price Surge Continues, Altcoin Takes Advantage Of Bitcoin Scaling Troubles - CoinTelegraph - April 2nd, 2017
- SpectroCoin Announces Altcoin Support for Bitcoin Debit Cards - AllCoinsNews.com (blog) - March 28th, 2017
- Top 3 Altcoin Pumpers in History - The Merkle - March 28th, 2017
- SpectroCoin Announces Altcoin Support for Bitcoin Debit Cards - PR Newswire (press release) - March 24th, 2017
- Op-Ed: Will Bitcoin's High Transaction Fees Open the Door for Altcoin Adoption? - CoinJournal (blog) - March 24th, 2017
- YoCoin Review: Pump and dump altcoin with recruitment - March 22nd, 2017
- SpectroCoin Announces Altcoin Support for Bitcoin Debit Cards - Yahoo Finance - March 22nd, 2017
- allcoinsnews.com Bitcoin, Altcoin & Blockchain Tech News - March 21st, 2017
- Several Exchanges Face Connectivity Issues During Bitcoin and Altcoin Trading Craze - newsBTC - March 18th, 2017
- PoSWallet Offers Online Altcoin Staking and Exchange Services - newsBTC - March 18th, 2017
- Bitcoin Dominance Index Crashes Below 80% as Ethereum and Dash Rise - CoinJournal (blog) - March 14th, 2017
- Altcoins Make a Comeback in Wake of Bitcoin ETF Decision - The Merkle - March 13th, 2017
- Livecoin, the Fourth Largest Altcoin Exchange Is Now Available in Eight Languages - Blockchain News - March 9th, 2017
- Bittrex Altcoin Exchange Review - The Merkle - March 2nd, 2017
- Karbowanec a Ukrainian local altcoin used with mobile top ups - TechAnnouncer (press release) (registration) (blog) - March 2nd, 2017